Reserving a cruise while on board

cdn.cruiser

I plan to go to the presentation on our cruise in November but I was curious, so I will ask.

What extra perks can you expect if you book a cruise while you are already on a cruise?

Do you have to specify exactly which cruise you plan to book in the future?

I know you can transfer to your own TA once you are ashore.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks dorisis. I was under the impression that you could receive the extra perks O offered PLUS the perks your TA would give you when you switched to them.

Perhaps not.

You do

I disagree with Dorsis.

You get an extra discount PLUS what your TA gives

The precise discount depends on the cruise.

You can book a cruise you actually want to take or a "placeholder" that you change when new itineraries come out.

This last cruise I also got a $100 OBC for immediate use.

On our last trip we booked another. We got a 100 obc and 200 off the next trip. The discount for the new trip depends on the room type, I had a OV, if you cancel you must pay back the 100 OBC. You have 30 days to go to your TA and you may switch trips once.

On our last trip we booked another for 2014. We received an immediate 100 obc, 300 off the next cruise and free gratuities. When we returned we transferred the booking to our agent and received another 500 obc from them.

So you can combine perks.

The $100 OBC is only valid if you book a firm cruise date. They will not give the $100 for a future cruise credit.

Paul -- you no longer book future cruise credits

You book a "phantom" cruise -- one you do not plan to take -- so you can switch later

Then you get the $100 obc immediately

I just did it in May - I am booked on some cruise for Dec 2014 -- will switch it to Capetown to Singapore 2015 as soon as itineraries are out

BTW - on the last cruise I could do the same for a friend not on board. I was able to get her the on board booking credit for the same cruise I am not taking LOL. ONly difference was no 100 OBC

Seems odd that Oceania would put policy in place to discourage phantom bookings and then have the on board agent have you do it! Is not the on board discount because you know what trip you want and you are on board?

We booked while on board for our cruise in 2014.They gave $100.00 OBC and $250.00 PP discount. Plus what our Ta gave us.We are going on the Marina for the first time.Our other 5 cruises where on the R ships.Whats also good about booking on board, if its the R or O type your on , You can look at your stateroom and where on the stateroom it is in relation to laundremat, stairs evelvater.

Paul -- you no longer book future cruise credits

You book a "phantom" cruise -- one you do not plan to take -- so you can switch later

Then you get the $100 obc immediately

I just did it in May - I am booked on some cruise for Dec 2014 -- will switch it to Capetown to Singapore 2015 as soon as itineraries are out

BTW - on the last cruise I could do the same for a friend not on board. I was able to get her the on board booking credit for the same cruise I am not taking LOL. ONly difference was no 100 OBC

I just booked a future cruise credit while on board... If do the way you stated yes you get the $100 OBC but when you switch you cannot switch again. (Note: only one switch is permitted).

They also changed the rules in that you cannot do this for a cruise that you already had booked in a regular manner. I think in the past you could do this.

You do

I disagree with Dorsis.

You get an extra discount PLUS what your TA gives

The precise discount depends on the cruise.

You can book a cruise you actually want to take or a "placeholder" that you change when new itineraries come out.

This last cruise I also got a $100 OBC for immediate use.

I also disagree with Dorsis. We booked our last cruise on board, and received perks from both O and my travel agent. We also booked our next cruise on board, and received $100 OBC up front and other perks. Our agent told us we will also receive perks from her agency. As an added bonus, since we like a particular accommodation, we get it this way.

I just booked a future cruise credit while on board... If do the way you stated yes you get the $100 OBC but when you switch you cannot switch again. (Note: only one switch is permitted).

They also changed the rules in that you cannot do this for a cruise that you already had booked in a regular manner. I think in the past you could do this.

Paul - I did just that in May

Got on board booking discount for Viking Odyssey already booked in addition to the one for the future phantom cruise.

This must be very new.

Paul - I did just that in May

Got on board booking discount for Viking Odyssey already booked in addition to the one for the future phantom cruise.

This must be very new.

:confused::confused:

Is Oceania now booking for Viking cruises???

and of course you can book now, and when you cruise rebook for on board savings. This only works if the category you want is still available when you cruise.

I did not "rebook" on board

I just had the on board savings applied to my existing booking. No problem.

Later in the cruise I decided to upgrade to a PH - only a guaranty was available -- they increased the on board booking deal and applied it to the GTY.

That was just in May. Have the rules changed?

I must be especially dense tonight; isn't this thread about reserving cruise A in order to get OBC and then cancelling cruise A when cruise B, your desired one becomes available and transferring the OBC to cruise B?

And if that is true, isn't there another thread that discusses people who put down a deposit to hold a cruise that they have no/ little intention of taking (and being chastised for doing that) and what a cancellation fee should be in order to discourage that?

So, if I'm making a reservation for a cruise to get OBC but have no intention of taking that cruise, aren't I denying others a cabin who really want that cruise?

Am I being encouraged to make a reservation to use OBC but discouraged from cancelling by having a fee levied? I'm so confused......

I must be especially dense tonight; isn't this thread about reserving cruise A in order to get OBC and then cancelling cruise A when cruise B, your desired one becomes available and transferring the OBC to cruise B?

And if that is true, isn't there another thread that discusses people who put down a deposit to hold a cruise that they have no/ little intention of taking (and being chastised for doing that) and what a cancellation fee should be in order to discourage that?

So, if I'm making a reservation for a cruise to get OBC but have no intention of taking that cruise, aren't I denying others a cabin who really want that cruise?

Am I being encouraged to make a reservation to use OBC but discouraged from cancelling by having a fee levied? I'm so confused......

LOL

This is was mentioned before.

There is somewhat of a double standard but it is not exactly the same thing.

Oceania, as a smart marketing strategy, wants to "capture" you for another cruise while you are on board, while you are in the rapture of the cruise. No better time to get you to make a deposit. Because on board is the best time to get someone to book, they will let you put a deposit down on a phantom cruise until the next round of itineraries come out. The booking will be a booking.

In contrast, some on this thread were discussing folks who book multiple cruises, knowing they are not going to take them all. To me, that's a different animal. SOme of those bookings are going to disappear.

Yes, we often book our next O cruise while on a cruise but have never used one to "place hold." All of our O cruises, so far, have been b2b, and we have had to cancel (falling under definition of "multiple cruises") so I guess we're guilty.

Life just got in the way of going on vacation.

Yes, we often book our next O cruise while on a cruise but have never used one to "place hold." All of our O cruises, so far, have been b2b, and we have had to cancel (falling under definition of "multiple cruises") so I guess we're guilty.

Life just got in the way of going on vacation.

Not guilty of anything

Canceling happens

In terms of "guilty" - LOL - On another thread (administration fee) folks (including FDR) were talking about people who book e.g. 3 cruises -- one for June, one for July, one for August, knowing they will only take one -- then canceling two of them with no penalty 90 days out. These are folks who have NO INTENTION of taking two of the three cruises and in making these bookings are preventing others from booking a particular cabin, cabin class or getting off a wait list so that they can make definite plans. This example is not one of "life got in the way." As one person defending her practice of doing this wrote on the other thread, this is an example of "I have enough money to put down multiple deposits so what's it to you," or words to that effect.

An added thought: one other significant difference between the on board booking of the "phantom" cruise vs those who book multiple cruises with no intention of taking some of them is that the on board Oceania rep KNOWS when it's a phantom (placeholder) booking (he or she helps you pick the one the farthest out so you have a year from that date to make the change). The revenue folks know this too.

so....in scenario #1 a passenger wants to take a cruise, just doesn't know which cruise and in scenario #2 a passenger wants to take a cruise, just doesn't know which date. So both put down a deposit for a cabin category (for 1 or many cruises) and "prevent" other passengers from getting a cabin category of their choice?

btw....i don't have a problem with either scenario since we plan at least a year out for all our trips but others aren't so fortunate...for whatever reason.

so....in scenario #1 a passenger wants to take a cruise, just doesn't know which cruise and in scenario #2 a passenger wants to take a cruise, just doesn't know which date. So both put down a deposit for a cabin category (for 1 or many cruises) and "prevent" other passengers from getting a cabin category of their choice?

No

YOu need to read the posts again

Archived