Loreto

jow623

Princess just canceled our 10/20/14 cruise to Loreto and LaPaz on the Star. They also canceled a November cruise on the Grand. Hope your cruise remains the same.

I was so looking forward to new ports :(. I couldn't find much info either. I did see some interesting shows on House Hunters though :D

Cheers, Denise

We are booked for March 1 on the Sapphire to Loreto and La Paz. Hope they don't cancel our cruise. Shore excursions are available for booking. Nothing looks that interesting to me. I was really hoping for a whale watching excursion. Maybe they will add more. Did they give a reason for cancelling?

loreto take the donkey taxi is fun to the center of town some lil shops and bars ect the beach isnt anything really , la paz we went into town and took the next bus back then went to the beach the beach is nice lots of bars ect water is nice u may whant to post on the ports of call for mexico

Princess did not give my TA a reason for canceling. However, someone on our roll call received a Princess email that said the Star was being redeployed. This is the second cruise we have booked for 2014 that has been canceled. The first was China to Vancouver. That was a heartbreaker!

Cheers, Denise

Princess did not give my TA a reason for canceling. However, someone on our roll call received a Princess email that said the Star was being redeployed. This is the second cruise we have booked for 2014 that has been canceled. The first was China to Vancouver. That was a heartbreaker!

Cheers, Denise

Two Star 2014 October trips to Hawaii also appear to be cancelled as well as two California coastals in September.

• 1 month later...

Looking at a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Star in October, 2014 (from/to San Francisco). It is scheduled as of the time of posting this (Sept. 27, 2013), but I am wondering if they will actually have that cruise, given the reports of cancellations.

We've been to Loreto a couple of times. Once we hired a boat when we got off the tender in the Marina and went out in the bay, came upon a huge school of dolphins and then went around Isla Coronado and saw lots of sea lions on the rocks. The next trip we hired a boat once again and had him take us to Isla Coronado which is a state park. We spent a couple of hours on the beach there and did some snorkeling and hiking. Our boat driver returned at the time we set up and took us back to the marina.

Both trips were lots of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the Mexican riviera cruise on the Grand Princess. The crew on the Grand was the most hospitable! Cabot was very commercial. La Paz had lots of booths set up right on the pier with lots of silver at good prices. Remember to bargain . Also for sale were leather goods and blankets. The ship was in port only til 2pm so not a lot of time to go into town. Everyone spoke English and dollars were welcome. Loreto is a small town that you can walk around ,no need for a tour. It's about a five minute walk from the pier. It was about 90 degrees when we were there (sept) so we took a taxi($5). They had dancers and singers in the main square. Great for pictures!

I just returned from the Mexican riviera cruise on the Grand Princess. The crew on the Grand was the most hospitable! Cabot was very commercial. La Paz had lots of booths set up right on the pier with lots of silver at good prices. Remember to bargain . Also for sale were leather goods and blankets. The ship was in port only til 2pm so not a lot of time to go into town. Everyone spoke English and dollars were welcome. Loreto is a small town that you can walk around ,no need for a tour. It's about a five minute walk from the pier. It was about 90 degrees when we were there (sept) so we took a taxi($5). They had dancers and singers in the main square. Great for pictures!

Thanks for the information! Great to know what to expect in the different ports. Especially appreciate the information about Loreto.

Thanks for the information! Great to know what to expect in the different ports. Especially appreciate the information about Loreto.

If you want to go to a nice white sand beach in Loreto, you can get a panga to take you out to Coronado Island. Very nice beach out there.

I think the church in Loreto is the first one built on the Baja peninsula. They have a small museum in the church that may interest some.

If time permits, fishing is also very good around Loreto !!!

When we were in La Paz, they had a complimentary shuttle to take you to town or to the beach. We have done both and found a tour of the town very interesting. We visited a weaving shop that had only old hand operated equipment with the hand throw looms and pedals to operate it. Also visited a ceramic shop that makes and sells hand decorated plates and souveniers. They allow visitors to walk around the area where the workers are making the items and decorating them. A couple of museums and quite a few shops in the downtown area.

The beach is also nice with a few bars and restaurants and it was very clean.

If you are going there, it is a waste to stay on the ship !!! The ship docks at Pichilingue about four or five miles from La Paz.

Archived