Sandals trip or Cruise?

Hi Everyone!

I will start off by saying I LOVE LOVE LOVE cruising. We are leaving in 2 days, going on the Grandeur with our kids

Anyways, next year is our 10 year wedding anniversary and mom offered to stay w kids so we can take a 1 week adult only vacation.

We are planning to renew our vows while on vacation

Has anyone done vow renewal on a cruise?

My travel agent highly recommends and is really stressing that we should try a Sandals resort for a change. I am so afraid of being disappointed in comparison to a cruise-- I am not the type to sit on a beach for a week, I like sight seeing and love enterainment which is why we love to cruise.

Looking for advice from people who have done both types of vacations-- which doyou prefer? And any experience with vow renewals either with cruising or sandals?

Hi! I will start off by saying I have never been to a Sandals resort, BUT I have been to two all-inclusive resorts which I think is a similar-type vacation. Both times we spent 1 week in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta in 2011 and then Riviera Maya in 2012). We liked having all the food and drinks included in the price, and the resorts themselves were really nice. In each place, one day we went into the nearby town, and the another day we did an excursion (whale watching/snorkeling in PV and Mayan ruins in RM). The rest of the days of the week we sat by the pool/beach (so that's 5 days for each trip of pooling/beaching). If you can work excursions out of a Sandals resort, that may work for you.

I have been on several cruises and I think I still prefer cruising over the all-inclusive. While it's nice to have ALL food and drinks included, I love being on a ship and being able to sit on a balcony and watch the sea go by. Plus, a port-intensive cruise lets you see alot of different places instead of staying in one place. We are not "sit on the beach" types either, we like a good mix of relaxation and sightseeing, and I think a cruise may allow for that a bit better. There's also a different kind of excitement (at least for me) about being on a ship. I wouldn't say that an all-inclusive would necessarily "disappoint" me - it's just a different experience in my opinion.

Hope that helps :)

If you like cruising, go on a cruise. While I am sure that your particular travel agent would NEVER make a recommendation based on an incentive program or a bonus involving the all-inclusive, someone else's might.

I've been to a couple of Sandals resorts, as well as other AI's, and they are very nice. But outside of the beach and water related activities, there's not a whole lot else to do.

If you don't like the idea of sitting on a beach for a week, then skip Sandals and start planning your cruise.

I a have been on 6 cruises with# 7 coming up this August and I have been to sandals 5 times.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway with hubby alone i recommend Sandals 100%. They are great at weddings and vow renewals. They also have entertainment. All drinks food and tips included.

We usually try to stay in a butler suite that has it's own private plunge pool. The service is absolutely the best.

You can always cruise with the kids again. It is a very relaxing romantic vacation. If that's not what you are looking for then do the cruise.

I've been to a couple of Sandals resorts, as well as other AI's, and they are very nice. But outside of the beach and water related activities, there's not a whole lot else to do.

If you don't like the idea of sitting on a beach for a week, then skip Sandals and start planning your cruise.

Loved your JB referenced lyrics :)

I have been to two Sandals Resorts and they were beautiful. Service impecable but I would consider several things while trying to make the decision (its the same thing we considered a few years ago everytime we saw a great cruise sale or Sandals sale)

1) We are not heavy drinkers....DH doesnt drink at all and I am a champagne and wine drinker only. This means that the cost that is built into Sandals pricing is for them to recoop the money spent on alcohol and I couldn't possibly drink that much EVER.

2) How much beach time do I really want and although we are "beachaholics" if we want to go to a beach for a week, we will rent a condo on the gulf coast and not spend even a fraction of what a Sandals resort would cost.

3) How much will I miss being on the open seas?

4) How much will I miss all the entertainment? The entertainment at a Sandals consists of usually some dancers in culture clothing. A marching band or maybe a contortionist (not sure about the spelling of that one) :)

5) How much will I miss waking up in a different port?

6) How much will I miss sunrise and sunset?

We havent been to Sandals or an all-inclusive since we discovered cruising....there are reasons for that :D

My travel agent highly recommends and is really stressing that we should try a Sandals resort for a change. I am so afraid of being disappointed in comparison to a cruise-- I am not the type to sit on a beach for a week, I like sight seeing and love enterainment which is why we love to cruise.

Looking for advice from people who have done both types of vacations-- which doyou prefer? And any experience with vow renewals either with cruising or sandals?

We have cruised a number of times [see below] and taken one Sandals vacation. Our DD and SIL have taken a Sandals vacation for their 10th Anniversary.

Our Sandals was in Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was a beautiful resort and our room was a Concierge room that looked out over the water. A beautiful view! We enjoyed the resort and took advantage of many things. We took a glass bottom boat tour and a Hobie CAT ride. [included]

We took a Catamaran tour around Montego Bay and a van trip to Negril for the day. [extra]

Sandals has 3 properties in Montego Bay and you can eat and play in all of them for the same price. They provide transportation between each. We used this transportation to get to town for shopping and back.

The food is generally good. [not fabulous] The drinks are OK. We drink more on vacation than at home, but, do not feel we got our money’s worth on drinks and food. [it is just not possible]

Our room [since it was a Concierge] provided a bar with liquor and beer/juice in a fridge. But, you did not have a choice of the liquor. We would have wanted vodka and bourbon. But, the bar included rum, tequila and scotch. [ Our room was more expensive than a standard room—but, we do not feel we got value from this.] the entertainment was so-so. It was certainly not of the quality on a cruise.

Our DD and SIL went to the Sandals in Nassau, Bahamas. I think they had a more romantic experience. Sandals organized a champagne toast at sunset each evening on the beach. There was lots of posed romantic picture taking. [Once while on a cruise we were near the Sandals in Antiqua. By the time we left they were setting up the glasses and appetizers for the sunset toasts. It looked very nice.] I think this is a common practice at most, but not all Sandals.

DH and I decided we got more for our money on cruises and we likely will not go back to Sandals. When we take a land based trip we do not do all- inclusive. [sandals was our second All-inclusive so we feel we gave it a try.]

I have been to AIs three times. Not a big drinker but nice to have a drink now and then. Food was good at two AIs in Riviera Maya, not good at AI in Dominican Republic. Of course biggest advantage of AI is the accomodations. We had an unbelievable beachfront suite in the DR but that was about the only good thing about the place. I got really sick for about 24 hours - probably food. They had a juggler one night who actually juggled three balls. WOW! We once went for a day trip to Sandals in Saint Lucia. The grounds were not very nice. The buffet lunch was terrible compared to buffets on a cruise and I really don't think much of cruise buffets. I have seen prices for Sandals and they seem to almost compare to an upscale cruise on lines like Crystal or Regent which might be an option for you - essentially adults only, drinks usually included. I assume you already thought of this but something to consider. I would definitely go for the cruise. I love beaches but not for 7 days. If you read reviews on Trip Advisor you will probably find that chair hogging is also prevalent at AIs. You need to get up early to get a shady spot at the pool.

Although we have never been to an all-inclusive, we have many friends who have. We have tried to sell some of them on cruising (some successfully) and they have tried to sell us on the all-inclusive resort. Their ONLY argument to go to the all-inclusive is that you can sit on the beach all day and relax.

Not for us

Although excursions are still available, anyone we speak with either takes none or maybe goes on one during a weeks stay.

What really catches us is that they will come back home and say "We were just in Aruba (or any island) and the island is beautiful". Ask them what they did and saw, their answer is "we just stayed at the resort all week". How can they possibly know what it is like? Why bother going to the expense of going to a beautiful Caribbean island if you are going to stay within the confines of a fenced in area. Can do that anywhere that has a beach.

I realize this is just representative of our acquaintances experiences and may not be a normal all-inclusive goers experience.

Just not for us.

Problem is at many AIs it is dangerous to leave the properly. There were guards with guns at night in the Dominican Republic. I never really felt safe. I always used to feel comfortable in Mexico but not lately with all the drug killings. Still feel safe in Cozumel since it appears to be totally removed from the crime. Many Sandals are in Jamaica which seems to be OK in the daytime. OF course you can make a case for not feeling safe in any large American city. You always need to be aware of your surroundings any time you travel.

Can I make another suggestion...

Pick a nice island and rent a vacation property. Not all inclusive. You can eat at restaurants, or make quick meals at the property.

We do this often. Rent a car, explore the island. Do stuff. Shop at local markets. It's awesome. Pretty inexpensive too.

You can rent nice beach front homes with private pools - all to yourself. for $1,500-$2,500 per week in the Caribbean.

Why does it have to be an all inclusive? You could renew your vows at most resorts in the islands with little to no hassles. We love our land-based beach vacations and unless we are vacationing in the DR, we always stay in a regular resort. That way we can come and go ... exploring and restauranting to our hearts content.

Easy decision for us...a cruise.

AI resorts don't appeal to us since we drink very little and of course the price of unlimited drinks is built into the price.

We took land based beach resort vacations our whole life until we were about 50. At that age we came realize we did not enjoy laying on the beach so much every day. My dermatologist didn't like me spending so much time in the sun either! It was then we took our first cruise and were hooked! In no way do I regret taking land based vacations for so many years as we enjoyed them during that phase of our life. Today we mix up our cruise vacations with driving trips to see the many beautiful National Parks and regions of our country.

To the OP, you say you are not the type to sit on the beach for a week and that you enjoy sight seeing and entertainment. Sounds like a cruise is for you!

Enjoy whatever you decide and congratulations on your milestone anniversary!

We had our honeymoon at Sandals Ocho Rios Jamaica. My honey and I had gotten engaged on a RCCL Hawaiian cruise in Dec and our wedding was in May. I suggested that we slow down with Sandals because it was our honeymoon and cruises and ports move so fast. So we did, and the hammocks were beautiful, the dining was very good, we enjoyed being able to take complete bottles of wine back to our rooms (the drinks WERE all included) and we went scuba diving (onsite training to certify with them) and snorkeled and rode the lil sail boats as much as we wanted. There was plenty of volleyball etc sports scheduled, which we loved. There was a huge island party the last night, dancing on the beach etc. It even included Dunns River fall tour. When we got there, we got $250 to use on site, honey got a hair cut and we got full couples massages and bought souvenirs! And we got a whole dish set (you could choose between two, and they are both quality brands) delivered to us when we got home! Wow! What a honeymoon.

We always said we would go back for our 10th anniversary. But then last year, our friends planned a cruise that went back to Jamaica anyway so we were there last year. This year, they also planned a cruise (we went with them 3 yrs in a row) and it went to Nassau & VIs. It was a few months early, but we went with them anyway (and my honey took me to WDW for 3 days, 2 days before and 1 the debarkation day, and that for me was the highlight of the cruise! Cruise wasn't great but the ports were good as always.)

We thought, well that was it, that was our '10th'. Then Dad planned a 3 day DCL to surprise Mom with to take their 45th anniversary early and he wanted the kids to come, but we had just gotten off an expensive vacation and didn't think it was possible! Well, I got all us kids on board anyway, and it was only 3 weeks before our actual 10th anniversary. That trip was absolutely stellar! It had 1 WDW hopping day with my twinkie (twin sis) and then an incredible 3 day cruise that included hugging sea lions and all kinds of snorkeling. The Waiters even sung us Happy Anniversary on Pirate Night!

So this year, we basically 'celebrated' all spring long!? We didn't even go out to eat the night the 10th rolled around (cuz we had already been on 2 different cruise & WDW vacations 5 weeks apart!)

Ok long story, I know, and we are still paying $$ for it! We LOVED Sandals. OTher AIs I can't vouch for because my sis went to one and was bored, and we went to a fun one in Montego Bay for the day with a lazy river and water park for the day on the cruise (Sunset I think) it was nice, but not Sandals which is luxury. We have never gone back though. The prices of air fare etc. We just really love cruising. My honey is the kind that is always wanting to wander here and do something and go there. He geniunely loves cruising. I tried to get him to wait and not book the 7 Day CCL this year and put it towards flying to a resort, but he genuinely was not that interested in it.

I don't know if that helps or not. Our DCL was so amazing, we got the Rewards card and already have disney dollars chunking away at our next Disney 4 Day in May (we will tack on a few NOT RUSHED days at the parks with it.) And thankfully he loves that as much as I do!

So it depends on the trip you want. If you want to be wined and dined and do some basic snorkeling and pools and drink and sit in a hammock, Sandals is definitely for you!

If you want to see different sights, have lots of night entertainment, etc. well you already know that cruising is for you!

They are both really great trips. I think depending on how much alcohol you consume, the cruise will always come out cheaper. (On DCL, you can bring on board as much booze as you want, of course, you don't pay CHEAP CHEAP either but its a great perk!) Next year's 11th is gonna be great! (May 3 is our 11th, and May 5 is our DCL!)

I guess when in doubt, cruise! But try AI if you want. But we have...and we liked it...but we have cruised 6 times together vs 1 AI...

Happy Anniversary anyway! 10 yrs is awesome! :)

We were hooked on Sandal's! Went for ten years in a row. It truly is a relaxing vacation, hanging out at the beach or pool. Some night time activities. We always went with another couple. The all in-clusive aspect is great. We met a couple there and a couple of years later they renewed their vows, we were part of the ceremony. It was tastefully done. Having said that, we do like cruising much better at this point. My husband is not one to just hang around, he likes sightseeing and just being on the ship, to relax or watch all the festivities! I love the beach and water, so for us, it is the best of both worlds. Since you love cruising, I would probably stick with that.

Marguerite

Thank you everyone!!!! As much as I love my TA and have used her for over 10 years, I am afraid the Sandals incentives are probably factoring into her recommendation.......After reading these I am pretty sure I will like a cruise more but was curious as to what others thought who have done both!!!

Thanks again!

Thank you everyone!!!! As much as I love my TA and have used her for over 10 years, I am afraid the Sandals incentives are probably factoring into her recommendation.......After reading these I am pretty sure I will like a cruise more but was curious as to what others thought who have done both!!!

Thanks again!

I think I can speak for everyone that we are jealous you are boarding Grandeur in 2 day :) Enjoy!!!

Depends on the type of vacation you are looking for.

DW and I went to Sandals when we first started dating. We just needed to get away . That trip at that time in our lives was the greatest. We each have 2 kids. We were both going through a lot of personal stress between work, kids, exes, .

We just needed to go someplace , hide out and recharge ,

We went to MOBay. It was sreally nice , Food was really good, met some really nice couples we hng out with, but also spent ALOT of alone time together.

Spent a lot of time in those hammocks. Hate to say we probably did get our monies worth in the booze department *LOL* and as opposed to a cruise ....we actually did spend a lot of time in our room :) wink wink .

I remember we did go snorkleing , and some type of boat ride , but otherwise we just enjoyed eachother and chilled. We didn't need excursions, or shows , or bingo, guided tours , etc . It was just what the dosctor ordered

For those kinds of getaways , AIs are great

We've never been to Sandals, but we've been to another AI in Jamaica that was highly recommended to us by several people. It was gorgeous, totally first class all the way, our accommodations were lovely, and our villa was right on the beach. By the end of day 2 we were bored. There wasn't enough entertainment, there was not enough activities during the day (I guess they thought everyone would want to be at the beach all day long,) and other than having 7 restaurants to choose from, I really couldn't find any reason to want to repeat the experience. And it was much more expensive than any cruise we ever did. I'm glad we did it once, but we'll never do it again.

I think I can speak for everyone that we are jealous you are boarding Grandeur in 2 day :) Enjoy!!!

LOL... I cannot wait!!!! Its our first big vacation in several years besides Hershey PA lol

I have not even gotten through this trip and I am already worried about the next one hahaha ---but hey my mom offered and I keep telling DH we need tobook it before she has a chance to change her mind LOL:p

My wife and I went to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica earlier this month and it was our first AI. It was one of the most relaxing vacations ever. I have to say that I was very surprised at how much I liked it better then crusing. Neither my wife or I are heavy drinkers. I think I had 3 or 4 drinks a most each day, but it was so nice that everything was included. Food was wonderful. We enjoyed it so much that we booked the Sandals in Grenada for next year.

My wife and I went to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica earlier this month and it was our first AI. It was one of the most relaxing vacations ever. I have to say that I was very surprised at how much I liked it better then crusing. Neither my wife or I are heavy drinkers. I think I had 3 or 4 drinks a most each day, but it was so nice that everything was included. Food was wonderful. We enjoyed it so much that we booked the Sandals in Grenada for next year.

I agree 100 peercent we cruise every year, but also like AI and we did Sandals Whitehouse last Thanksgiving for 8 night had a great time so relaxing, 250 acres , about 2 miles of beach, 2 swim up pool bars, 5 resturants. We liked it so much we booked it again for this Thanksgiving, also like the adults only , almost all couples, no tipping , no bar bill. Top shelf booze, also all but 1 of the resturants has a/c, some reorts many of the resturants do not. Only thing that I didn't like was the ride to get there which was 90m mins or so

We have been to Sandals in St Lucia and loved it I also love to cruise. It was a nice break from cruising and made me appreciate the cruises to follow more. In St Lucia you have 3 Sandals which you have exchange privileges between them. They provide transportation between the resorts which are not far apart.

Archived