Holland America Reduces Bring-On Wine Allowance

LauraS

Great example! The owner made a decision that supported his limited capital which limited his wine selection. We know HAL has deep pockets and could increase wine choices if that is the root problem here. Your restaurant owner truly found a solution that was a win win for him and his customers.

Your example shows how he sustained and increased revenue, correct?

I would imagine the HAL might point out the loss of revenue for all the wine consumed in the cabins is a loss of revenue they will make up even if they loose 50% or more of the people who haul on the wine.

I appreciate your view point and conversation here...

Just for grins, here's the restaurant's website. Cafe Bizou I wasn't aware the LA Times picked up on the $2 policy, but it's an example of the potential benefit to HAL if they return to their existing policy because it's experiential things like this that bring people back to a cruise line.

Just for grins, here's the restaurant's website. Cafe Bizou I wasn't aware the LA Times picked up on the $2 policy, but it's an example of the potential benefit to HAL if they return to their existing policy because it's experiential things like this that bring people back to a cruise line.

The link appears to be blocked or just does not work. :-(

Thanks! Not a terrible wine list either, all be it limited. Reasonable prices too - unlike the mark up you pay when on a cruise ship.

The more I think about this topic, for HAL, maybe the issue is not a corkage fee in the dinning room, the issue is the lost sales for the wine consumed in the cabin.

Well there appear to be two different camps of people on this issue: Those that don't care about wine and those who really do.

The folks that really don't care won't leave HAL but they also won't increase the wine revenue because they don't buy wine anyway.

Those who really do care may just move on the greener pastures, leaving HAL with no revenue.

Those middle of the road folks who don't even care enough to post and who have always bought a few bottle per cruise will continue to do so, but it won't change the bottom line.

Well there appear to be two different camps of people on this issue: Those that don't care about wine and those who really do.

The folks that really don't care won't leave HAL but they also won't increase the wine revenue because they don't buy wine anyway.

Those who really do care may just move on the greener pastures, leaving HAL with no revenue.

Those middle of the road folks who don't even care enough to post and who have always bought a few bottle per cruise will continue to do so, but it won't change the bottom line.

I drink mostly wine but I am ok buying it. Don't assume that everyone that drinks wine is bothered by the change in policy. I have enough to lug on without bringing wine on.

Great Summary...

Thanks for taking the time to post.

(Grab the flashlight! Wind and rain on the way today.)

I drink mostly wine but I am ok buying it. Don't assume that everyone that drinks wine is bothered by the change in policy. I have enough to lug on without bringing wine on.

Did you always buy your wine on board instead of lugging it with you? Is so, there will be no net gain to HAL.

If you used to lug it with you and will now start buying it all on board, they will win.

We have always brought wine on board, and purchased wine in the dining room both, so with us it will be a loss for HAL as we will go away and not buy wine (or anything else) any more.

MR NW GUY writes:

(Grab the flashlight! Wind and rain on the way today.)

Our home was built for the chief of surgery for the original Childrens' Hospital and is connected to the hospital generators. We have never lost power for more than a minute or so in all the nearly 40 years that we have lived here. At one point the county bought our property and they maintained the parking strip for a long, long time until somebody finally figured out that it was no longer county land. ;)

Did you always buy your wine on board instead of lugging it with you? Is so, there will be no net gain to HAL.

If you used to lug it with you and will now start buying it all on board, they will win.

We have always brought wine on board, and purchased wine in the dining room both, so with us it will be a loss for HAL as we will go away and not buy wine (or anything else) any more.

MR NW GUY writes:

Our home was built for the chief of surgery for the original Childrens' Hospital and is connected to the hospital generators. We have never lost power for more than a minute or so in all the nearly 40 years that we have lived here. At one point the county bought our property and they maintained the parking strip for a long, long time until somebody finally figured out that it was no longer county land. ;)

I've purchased wine for years. That is not how you phrased your statement even though you might not have meant to. You mentioned people that don't care about wine. I do care, but this doesn't effect me. I really think Hal will change its policy before implementation. I'm sure they thought of all the angles ahead of time. I really doubt if anything brought up on cc isn't something they haven't discussed extensively at Hal headquarters. If not, they are not bright.

But the fact that it doesn't bother you personally, should not lessen the fact that it has unfairly and unnecessarily impacted other people. If you feel that the new policy is unjustified, then it doesn't matter if it affects you.

Thanks!

But the fact that it doesn't bother you personally, should not lessen the fact that it has unfairly and unnecessarily impacted other people. If you feel that the new policy is unjustified, then it doesn't matter if it affects you.

I've acknowledged that. It might be a good idea to read posts before you respond. If it isn't on this thread it's on one of the many, many others. I'm just pointing out that I do drink wine that is all. I am not saying that others shouldn't object so I have no idea why you need to be so negative all the time.

I've purchased wine for years. That is not how you phrased your statement even though you might not have meant to. You mentioned people that don't care about wine. I do care, but this doesn't effect me. I really think Hal will change its policy before implementation. I'm sure they thought of all the angles ahead of time. I really doubt if anything brought up on cc isn't something they haven't discussed extensively at Hal headquarters. If not, they are not bright.

The fact that they instituted the new policy instantaneously with no notice whatsoever, and then had to almost immediately rescind, indicates that there is someone working on this project who is not too bright.

It is not all that uncommon for large corporations to lose the pulse of their customers and make tactical mistakes.

Email address please - snail mail to slow from Australia:D.

Don't know exactly but the Mariner society's e-mail is:

mariner_society@hollandamerica.com

(note there is a "_" between "mariner" and "society")

You might try several different ways to send an e-mail to Stein Kruse such as with or without the space or the line..But the end (after the @) is the same for all departments..As the above poster mentioned they probably don't advertise his e-mail..

Betty

Betty

Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

This is the address I used and I got responses.

I am still holding out hope that they modify the policy. The change is so drastic from the old policy that is could seriously affect their business.

They really have no way of determining how many customers considered their liberal wine policy in their selection of a cruise line.

Good morning,

We recently cruised on the Oosterdam (22-29 Sep) embarkation: Seattle- we brought aboard a number of reds and whites which we enjoy, the number which would have exceeded the new wine policy to be implemented in January 2014.

Here's what we experienced. The experiences of others may vary.

We hand-carried our wines, after we passed through security we were asked to declare the number of bottles to a member of the wine staff, and sign the declaration - the list had name, cabin, number of wines and signature - many other cruisers had brought aboard between 1-12 bottles of their favorites. After that the only time the presence of our wines were mentioned was to collect the corkage when we brought a bottle out of the cabin. We took all our dinners in the MDR, did not have a bad meal, and enjoyed wine we knew with each meal.

Day 1 and 2 we were offered a new style of beverage card ~$45/day/person for up to 15 beverages alcohol or not which had a price of under $7 per beverage - we asked to taste the under $7 wines and were provides a tasting on day 1 by an accommodating bartender. We found the white and reds to be very sweet and not to our taste, we prefer a dryer type of wine - personal choice. We tasted a couple of others, in the greater than $7 category and they were more to our liking, they were $9 for what looked like a 7 oz pour. We did not purchase the beverage card.

We attended two wine tasting events during the cruise. The first event $15/each was held in the main dining room and had over 120 in attendance. The second event was premier wines at $35/each and was held in the Pinnacle grill and had about 60 in attendance (limited seating at this event and every seat was sold). Alvin the Wine Captain did an outstanding job at each event, explained the wines and discussed the broad range of wines they had aboard. The costs for the events were discounted as we attended both and we received a 5% discount and a 25% discount on any wine we purchased that had been featured at the premium tasting (we purchased the Champagne (Mumm) for the formal night dinner and enjoyed it very much).

We reviewed the wine list in the bars and dining room - they are different (we were successful in having a wine from the dining room list brought to the Crows Nest). We noted the presence of wines we had enjoyed in the past and which met our taste (Rosemont, Kendall Jackson). We ordered the Chef Rudi branded Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon - both of which were sold at $29 (discounted on International Night in the MDR to $25) - these wines come from Woodhouse Winery (in Woodinville) and we viewed the price point for the quality to be excellent (your taste and POV may vary). Indeed the Chardonnay was the same white wine which we had paid ~$14 at the winery in Woodinville (our town) and paid a $18 corkage.

Wine selection: In our comments to the wine captain and wine steward, we asked for consideration in expanding the selection of affordable wines (less than $9/glass) to compliment the ones they already had aboard which matched out personal tastes. In the post-cruise review, we expanded our comments to articulate the same.

In sum - we brought what we liked, searched for what we might like off the wine list and bought some more.

The future: We determined that we'd be taking a wait and see position with respect to future cruising with Holland America. While the wine is not the most important criteria (#1 destination, #2 accommodation #3 food) the absence of wines we enjoy at meals or the increased costs to obtain those that we do, may provide other cruise lines an opportunity to compete for some of our limited cruise budget in the future.

Hope the above is of assistance to others.

Enjoy

Archived