Holland America Reduces Bring-On Wine Allowance

LauraS

Actually NCL already will not allow passengers to bring on anything including water and soda so you are restricted to only buying everything on the ship at their prices.

That is why I have never sailed on NCL and never will no matter what deal they offer me.

Is this a new policy of NCL's? We've always been able to bring ALL the soft drinks and water on board that we wanted. On our most recent cruise in May, we brought 12-packs of Coke Zero and ginger ale on board during embarkation. While returning from the various port calls, we saw others bringing soft drinks through security.

"If memory serves, the Pinnacle has a different (much much different) wine list then the MDR."

I have seen this mentioned before. Does anyone have some examples of different wines at the Pinnacle grill? I have looked on HA website but just see the general listings under beverages.

Is this a new policy of NCL's? We've always been able to bring ALL the soft drinks and water on board that we wanted. On our most recent cruise in May, we brought 12-packs of Coke Zero and ginger ale on board during embarkation. While returning from the various port calls, we saw others bringing soft drinks through security.

Sorry I guess I was listening to the wrong sources. I had seen posted on the NCL board and talked with people who had been on NCL leaving out of Miami and both said they were not allowed to be bring any liquids including soda and water onboard the ship. But checking around it looks like this seems to be the official policy.

Soft drinks: Yes

Bottled water: Yes

Liquors: absolutely NOT

Wine: Yes, provided:

1. the wine is not on the wine list

2. $15 corkage fee

The corkage fee applies whenever the wine is opened, whether in the restaurants or in the cabin.

Sorry about the incorrect post.

Sorry I guess I was listening to the wrong sources....

No prob! It can be a challenge to keep the beverage policies of the different cruise lines straight.

We did enjoy HAL's relaxed wine policy on our cruise on the Zuiderdam in 2011 and were sorry to learn of the recent changes.

Actually NCL already will not allow passengers to bring on anything including water and soda so you are restricted to only buying everything on the ship at their prices.

That is why I have never sailed on NCL and never will no matter what deal they offer me.

You can take as much wine as you like with a $15 corkage fee for each,,,

Im pretty sure soda and water are fine.

I sent an email to the three execs and received a letter in the mail from "The Office of the President" in which he pretty much states that HAL is going to do what everyone else does with their wine policy and not allow it at all. Doesn't sound very good to me and I will be complaining to HAL for three weeks after we board the Noordam in Athens next Friday. Maybe I'll be surprised and see some nice wines at reasonable prices and all will be forgiven. Hope so. I'm only bringing six bottles from California.

And after reading NCLs official policy, I'll most likely be cruising with them next time. I'll gladly pay $15 per bottle when boarding. But wait, the last line says NO BOX WINES??? I guess I'll have to leave my favorites at home! ;)

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

I sent an email to the three execs and received a letter in the mail from "The Office of the President" in which he pretty much states that HAL is going to do what everyone else does with their wine policy and not allow it at all. Doesn't sound very good to me and I will be complaining to HAL for three weeks after we board the Noordam in Athens next Friday. Maybe I'll be surprised and see some nice wines at reasonable prices and all will be forgiven. Hope so. I'm only bringing six bottles from California.

And after reading NCLs official policy' date=' I'll most likely be cruising with them next time. I'll gladly pay $15 per bottle when boarding. But wait, the last line says NO BOX WINES??? I guess I'll have to leave my favorites at home! ;)

[b']Wine & Champagne Policy[/b]

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

When i write my letter to HAL i will be citing NCL's and Princess's policy, where you can bring as much as you want for a $15 fee each... I encourage others who have received a letter as such as pinot did, to send a copy and write a second letter talking about Princess and NCL, after all, that is what the petition will say.... I encourage everyone who got this response to write a second letter.

When i write my letter to HAL i will be citing NCL's and Princess's policy, where you can bring as much as you want for a $15 fee each... I encourage others who have received a letter as such as pinot did, to send a copy and write a second letter talking about Princess and NCL, after all, that is what the petition will say.... I encourage everyone who got this response to write a second letter.

Three emails sent subsequent to receiving the form letter from the Office of the President. No response from anyone in any department to date.

Three emails sent subsequent to receiving the form letter from the Office of the President. No response from anyone in any department to date.

I think it is more important to keep e-mailing them, regardless of the lack of response. They need to know we are not giving up.

I think it is more important to keep e-mailing them, regardless of the lack of response. They need to know we are not giving up.

agree - but if they are not going to announce anything then I will take that into consideration for next year's planning. I would like to think that if they were working on the wine selections or the policy there would be some kind of announcement - but knowing HAL - NOT:(

Somebody really needs to get on the team there that knows how to market to customers.

agree - but if they are not going to announce anything then I will take that into consideration for next year's planning. I would like to think that if they were working on the wine selections or the policy there would be some kind of announcement - but knowing HAL - NOT:(

Somebody really needs to get on the team there that knows how to market to customers.

Perhaps there's nothing to announce.:o

The response that HAL is giving that they are in line with other cruise lines is wrong when looking at NCL and Princess. Please everyone write them another letter with that response!

I think we should all email them again...and emphasize that fact.

I think that what many people like is actually the garlic butter the snails "swim" in. I suspect it would be popular if bread cubes were substituted for the snails. Just a thought. I know it is true for me!

Love the "little antlers" comment as well.

I think you're right. If HAL decides to go the cheapo route and drop escargot from the menu, they could substitute bread cubes. Think how much $$$ they'd save.

I think that what many people like is actually the garlic butter the snails "swim" in. I suspect it would be popular if bread cubes were substituted for the snails. Just a thought. I know it is true for me!

My very favorite appetizer on HAL. Love them so much, sometimes I order two.

My very favorite appetizer on HAL. Love them so much, sometimes I order two.

Hey everyone, i was able to pick up my laptop Thurs, so when the weekend from hell is over i will start the petition. Holiday weekend here so i will get a break around tues/wed. Sorry taking so long! But let me say best buy's black tie protection is the best thing ever. If they can not repair it, they will replace it!

Thanks for doing this, surfergirlie (and Tampa Girl for proofreading). Looking forward to signing the petition.

Just sent emails to the 3 HAL execs whose emails were posted earlier in this thread. Hopefully everyone on this thread will do the same. I will also be glad to sign a petition to stop the implementation of this policy.

Have a great next cruise.

Would you be willing to post the 3 emails again? Or I can go back and look them up if you don't have time. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Mark my word, soft drinks and water will be next. Anything the cruise lines can make a buck off of will be banned from "guests" bringing on their ships.

it's the smell of the ocean

it's the sound of the sea

it's the sloshing and gurgling of the wine inside me

it's the prominade deck, nay the balcony too

it's the evening at pinnacle ,table for two

it's the snorkel, the sand, the catamaran ride

it's the feeling we get way deep down inside

it's not all about the wine or the whining

I sent emails to the HAL execs mentioned above and received a letter back from one of their administrative assistants saying all HAL was doing was making their policies match other cruise lines. It also said they had no plans to change the new 1 bottle of wine per person only on embarkation rules that would begin to be enforced next year.

They did say my complaints would be added to others in a file about the issue.

We just need to keep at them and maybe they will finally change their minds.

Have a great next cruise.

Perhaps there's nothing to announce.:o

well that's their problem isn't it? A corporation that doesn't recognize an issue is not a very smart one. I earned my living listening to clients for years - and if they don't want to listen that's their choice - and we'll make ours.

Somehow I thought you would stop jabbing at my posts when I answered you on the St. John thread - guess I was dreaming:p:p

Smooth seas whatever cruise line you are on:D:D

well that's their problem isn't it? A corporation that doesn't recognize an issue is not a very smart one. I earned my living listening to clients for years - and if they don't want to listen that's their choice - and we'll make ours.

Somehow I thought you would stop jabbing at my posts when I answered you on the St. John thread - guess I was dreaming:p:p

Smooth seas whatever cruise line you are on:D:D

Your time frame is a little off. The comment I made which you just snipped was made September 1st (just scroll up and see date)

Today is Sept 22 that's 3 weeks ago

I asked you about St Thomas today.

Take a break you deserve it.. You've been working way too hard on here.

Archived