Holland America Reduces Bring-On Wine Allowance

LauraS

Tampa Girl -- am aware of Celebrity's wine restriction. My point was that absent HAL's formerly open-wine policy, Celebrity would have been my first choice, largely due to Solstice Class ships. The HAL wine policy tipped the scales in their favor -- but that point of distinction is now gone for them.

Along with my business.

Princess changed its official wine policy recently to allow one bottle per adult passenger. You are allowed to bring additional bottles, but they'll be charged the corkage fee upfront. It will no longer matter if you drink them in the dining room or your cabin. So far, enforcement of the new policy has been spotty--being reported as being done in some embarkation ports but not others.

Princess changed its official wine policy recently to allow one bottle per adult passenger. You are allowed to bring additional bottles, but they'll be charged the corkage fee upfront. It will no longer matter if you drink them in the dining room or your cabin. So far, enforcement of the new policy has been spotty--being reported as being done in some embarkation ports but not others.

Princess changing their policy gives us some hope that perhaps HAL will also. Check the thread about the possibility of a petition.

We have been on quite a few Princess cruises and really enjoy them, but have been looking for something a little different, just to see what other lines are like.

We currently have a Princess cruises booked for later this month, a HAL Cruise in October, another Princess cruise in December, and a Cunard cruise in April.

We were ready to cancel the HAL cruise when they initially changed their wine policy, but were then informed that they had postponed the implementation until the end of January, so we kept the booking.

They usually have pretty decent dance music and we really like having a Catholic Priest on boad, but this new policy definitely is a big minus for HAL in our books.

Okay---Correct me here:

1. HAL's new wine policy allows only one bottle per passenger on embarkation day only. Not one bottle per sailing, therefore, no on shore purchases at intermediate ports.

2. Princess allows one free bottle, then all the wine you want, but you must pay a corkage fee when bringing it on board, regardless if you drink it in your cabin or wherever. Is the free bottle per sailing or at embarkation day only?

3. Celebrity allows one bottle per, is that at embarkation day or per sailing? Does Celebrity charge a corkage fee even if you drink it in your cabin?

Sorry to learn about HAL's new wine restriction. Haven't they tried this before? I recall one time we were lined up to get on the Prinsendam and thought we couldn't bring wine on board, that was to be an almost three month voyage, then someone's luggage and stuff went by which included two cases of wine.

We will be on Statendam in Feb. and March. Lots of sea days so chances are we won't be in ports very often where we can buy decent wine. Hope they have a good quality stock on board and don't jack prices after eliminating the competition.

HAL's wine policy will have us looking at other travel options. We have brought wine onto HAL in New Zealand, Chile, wine festival in Bordeaux (Prinsendam 2012)..... The most we have brought aboard was six bottles in San Diego embarking on a 39 day cruise. I guess HAL should eliminate winery shore excursions.

So, the limit of one wine bottle per person upon embarkation is the same for a four day cruise as a for a round the world 105 day cruise. We have been taking 21+ day HAL cruises and are pretty good customers of their bars and dining room wine offerings.

That we can't bring a reasonable amount of wine aboard for state room consumption really ticks me off.

My question(s) exactly. We prefer mostly long duration expedition style HAL cruises. The longest being almost three months, shortest three weeks. One bottle per cruise! So now we can't even bring a bottle on board after a wine tasting excursion.

The line regarding "review" was also not in my letter, which sounded pretty final, and it does sound a little bit more hopeful.

Like others, I would be happy to pay a $15 corkage fee for every bottle I brought on board, but to be restricted to one bottle, period, is just unreasonable.

We have only recently retired and were very seriously considering HAL for our longer retirement cruises. This new policy, however, will send us elsewhere.

This thread pretty much answers my questions. Guess we have been living a sheltered cruise life pertinent to wine. I didn't realize most of the lines have pretty much effectively placed what amounts to a pretty expensive surcharge (corkage fee) on wines brought on board for cabin consumption. Either that or eliminated the practice entirely.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=41

Over our 23 years of sailing we have only used Princess, HAL and Regent. In recent years we alternated between HAL and Regent. Prefer the 35,000-50,000 gross ton world voyager type ships and dislike the SS Gigantics.

I like this wine policy best: "Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's allowed; however, each guest gets two bottles of spirits in his/her in-room bar. Wine and spirits are complimentary. (Free Drink Caveat---Alcoholic beverages, including fine wines and premium spirits, are included in the cruise fare. The line does, however, have a connoisseur's list of ultra-premium wines and liquors that cost extra.)

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: You may bring your own wine onboard. The restaurants, however, have a good selection of pouring wines, so it's rare that passengers bring their own.

Purchasing liquor in port: Passengers are allowed to bring it into their suites for consumption."

So---Guess we be seeing a little more of the Seven Seas ships and a little less of the Dam ships.

++++I like this wine policy best: "Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's allowed; however, each guest gets two bottles of spirits in his/her in-room bar. Wine and spirits are complimentary. (Free Drink Caveat---Alcoholic beverages, including fine wines and premium spirits, are included in the cruise fare. The line does, however, have a connoisseur's list of ultra-premium wines and liquors that cost extra.)

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: You may bring your own wine onboard. The restaurants, however, have a good selection of pouring wines, so it's rare that passengers bring their own.

Purchasing liquor in port: Passengers are allowed to bring it into their suites for consumption." +++++

Nice policy, but how much extra is the cruise?

[quote name=Richie2pies;39562047

Nice policy' date=' but how much extra is the cruise?[/quote]

Very good question.

As I have previously mentioned, we are long time cruisers with both lines. I can argue the positive merits of each, however, we like them both for a large variety of reasons, they aren't the same that is for certain.

Anyway, our next cruise on HAL is in Feb. and March, about a month duration, 14 sea days, and when we are in port, there is almost no chance of finding a place to buy wine except during the stretch when we port in the Hawaiian Islands, meaning, their new wine policy has no relevance for us on this upcoming voyage. Our flight to the next Regent voyage begins in 9 hours when we fly to Europe for 3 weeks on the Seven Seas Voyager.

Now, this new negative for HAL may have a definite bearing on our future bookings with HAL. Wife, in particular, has become enamored with the no nickel and dime policy of Regent thus this new shenanigan of HAL's just makes it that much more difficult for me to sell her on any future HAL voyage.

Back to the issue, read this, there is a lot more accuracy in it than sales hyperbole. Once again, we have compared both in real life cruise adventures, numerous times.

https://www.rssc.com/media/experience/pdfs/ValueComparison_NorthernEurope.pdf

Sorry, but part of my proceeding post was truncated.

Here it is: Better yet, look at this one: https://www.rssc.com/media/experience/pdfs/ValueComparison_Med.pdf

Believe it or not, us life long Alaskans even flew to San Fran. and did an Alaskan cruise on Regent a couple of years ago. This isn't the cruise, but once again, gives one cost comparison ideas. https://www.rssc.com/media/experience/pdfs/ValueComparison_Alaska.pdf

Sorry, but part of my proceeding post was truncated.

Here it is: Better yet, look at this one: https://www.rssc.com/media/experience/pdfs/ValueComparison_Med.pdf

Believe it or not, us life long Alaskans even flew to San Fran. and did an Alaskan cruise on Regent a couple of years ago. This isn't the cruise, but once again, gives one cost comparison ideas. https://www.rssc.com/media/experience/pdfs/ValueComparison_Alaska.pdf

Most interesting. Thank you for posting. And, of course, the figures will change according to how much one spends at the bars on Holland America and on Princess. Your comparison of the Med Cruise is probably more apt, at least in comparison with HAL because the Regent ship is larger than your first chart, so the fare may have been proportionately lower, thus decreasing the per diem difference among the three lines. Think we will look into Regent.

We realize that we would not be affected by the policy for our November cruise but wished to send a message to the higher ups. We love Regent and Oceania. And of course, Seabourn. We did around South America on Regent. Went we were planning that cruise, we compared Regent and Holland America and Regent came out less expensive. Free shore excursions, free wine and alcohol, no tipping. It all adds up.

Eileen

Regent uses Miami as its home port in the US. But usually it is the Navigator that does the Caribbean in the winter.

It seems to me that anyone who wrote to Mr. Kruse got the exact same letter from Christine Ferris. A form letter if I ever have seen one. At least they could have written to each of us separately. Oh well.

Eileen

I believe it is about profit that is lost when PAX bring their own wine on board. I would think that there is a lot of wine brought on board on most HAL cruises. Maybe that is why HAL charges a lot for a cheap bottle of wine. I wonder what the cost is for HAL when PAX bring their own wine on board? PAX are using glasses that need to be washed and replaced in the cabin. I wonder what the cost is for the extra garbage that is made by all the empty bottles. Just think, if a ship hold 2,000 people how many empty bottles have to be gotten rid of. That has to cost some money.

I thing one way to increase profit would be to charge a fee for each bottle brought on board. Or maybe lower the cost of a bottle so PAX will buy many bottles of wine.

I just read about this new policy. We, who are multi-star mariners, had just booked our third HAL cruise this year and although we are extremely brand-loyal as a rule, if we can't bring decent wines on board for our own personal consumption in our stateroom (we who are great customers of dining room wine lists and bars on board), then it's perhaps time to re-consider Celebrity and some of her great ships we've cruised on so much in the past. Sorry, HAL, it was a great run and we love your ships and service-oriented staff, but if we have to drink over-priced US West coast wines in places like Europe and elsewhere, then we'll cruise with the competition. And please, no offense to US West coast wineries... for many years my father was a cellar-master there...it's just selling $8 wine for $40 is a little exaggerated. And yes, I get the profit angle. So why not charge a little more for the cruise? Happy travels to all!

You cannot bring more than two bottles cabin of wine on Celebrity either. I will agree you can get a bottle cheaper on Celebrity and we did like that, but I can get a bottle of Canadian Club whiskey cheaper on Hal. So I am sticking with Hal, at least until they raise the price and then I will be really upset.

Archived