Holland America Reduces Bring-On Wine Allowance

LauraS

HAL needs to be fair. They certainly wouldn't need to raise fares by much, to balance their wine profit. HAL's prices are too low, thus the decrease in quality over the years. I resent paying a 400% markup because of a group of people don't realize that prices must go up in time. Why should HAL make their profit off of the wine drinkers? Their mark up is higher than any other line. It should be in line with the other cruiselines. If they have to raise prices so it's in line with every other cruiseline, that's what they should do. Sorry, I disagree with your thinking.

We will be lucky if HAL imposes a corkage---probably it will be $20-25. There is no way they will ever allow wine to be brought on again.

HAL needs to raise prices. Those people who don't want prices to go up have ruined the experience for the rest of us.

This all reminds me of an experience, in another life, when I was an airline exec. At the time we offered only economy class throughout the passenger cabin. Our sales personnel wanted us to go with 1st Class, which we eventually did. But the top echelon was hesitant to do so. The sales pitch that finally changed their minds was this: We sold so much booze in coach, that the profit from those sales alone more than compensated for over all losses resulting from inauguration of a first class service.

I recall this for two reasons. # 1---It always seemed ironic to me that revenues derived from the peasants in coach were used to subsidize the first class aristocracy. # 2--Overcharging for booze to make a profit, subsidize other services or to decrease the over all tariff, never seemed fair to me as one who likes a glass of wine or two before dinner.

Maybe the guy(s), back then, with that executive mentality are working for HAL today?

I have no idea why they charge so much. I do have a choice and I do pay the prices. I also pay high prices for all my cruises even though you think I represent the trailer park trash on Hal. Last week I ate dinner with 6 different groups of people. I only saw 2 people drinking that whole time. Those people brought their wine on. Either everyone I ate with did not drink, were cheap, or thought the wine was plonk. If Hal doesn't change their tune by next year they could very well shoot themselves in the foot. That's their problem and it's their mistake to make. I'm sure they don't need me to tell them how to run their business. When I don't like something I vote with my feet.

I sincerely apologise for giving you that impression. It was not my intent. I agree about not seeing people drink at dinner often. I will admit---we don't very often and it is because I am cheap. I think they do need us to tell them how to run their business. They are doing a pretty bad job.

The liberal wine policy was probably the only reason I traveled on HAL over Princess or Celebrity. I appreciate that they are a business and want to make as much money as possible but I kind of felt like they more than made their money on shore excursions and the spa. This new policy will make me look closer at Princess or Celebrity. It won't make me not go on HAL but HAL lost the one thing I thought differentiated them.

Very well said.

Off the topic, but now you have traveled in "style" in the Penthouse, do you think it is worth the additional cost? Not that I will ever be able to afford it!

Since I was traveling alone I'm sitting on the fence about that one. I think it's wonderful for people that love to entertain. I'm just not wired that way. I really didn't meet anyone to invite to dinner even though I would have liked to have done that. I tend to be shy around people I don't know so that doesn't help. I LOVED that expereince, and it's been a tough year for me so I needed it. If I was presented with the opportunity again I don't know what I would do. I wasn't going to take it this time but I got a kick in the pants from a friend (she made me do it :D) so I'm happy I did.

mine too--these are snails, one step removed from the slugs that crawl around your yard. All the garlic in the world wouldn't help--and they have little antlers :D:eek:

ML

That's the way I think about them too:D except I don't think they are one step removed.

That's the way I think about them too:D except I don't think they are one step removed.

totally agree--anything that slimy (and with little antlers) should not be eaten by humans :D just finished lunch and my stomach just turned...:)

ML

Since I was traveling alone I'm sitting on the fence about that one. I think it's wonderful for people that love to entertain. I'm just not wired that way. I really didn't meet anyone to invite to dinner even though I would have liked to have done that. I tend to be shy around people I don't know so that doesn't help. I LOVED that expereince, and it's been a tough year for me so I needed it. If I was presented with the opportunity again I don't know what I would do. I wasn't going to take it this time but I got a kick in the pants from a friend (she made me do it :D) so I'm happy I did.

Hey, a little bit of decadence never hurt!

totally agree--anything that slimy (and with little antlers) should not be eaten by humans :D just finished lunch and my stomach just turned...:)

ML

You make me laugh. Love the antlers comment:D. I just ate my lunch but it didn't turn me off. That takes a lot;).

I think that what many people like is actually the garlic butter the snails "swim" in. I suspect it would be popular if bread cubes were substituted for the snails. Just a thought. I know it is true for me!

Love the "little antlers" comment as well.

I think that what many people like is actually the garlic butter the snails "swim" in. I suspect it would be popular if bread cubes were substituted for the snails. Just a thought. I know it is true for me!

Love the "little antlers" comment as well.

Mushrooms would be even better than bread - mmm, love garlic but definitely no snails (nor slugs and puppy dog tails:)).

Mushrooms would be even better than bread - mmm, love garlic but definitely no snails (nor slugs and puppy dog tails:)).

mmmmm....mushrooms would be a great sub for the snails (or slugs or puppy dog tails). Bread cubes would work too :)

Does anyone have the complete HAL Wine List? Not a listing from one of the bars, but a complete wine list with pricing of their offerings. I was under the impression that the list at dinner in the MDR is not a complete list ... but can't remember where I read that.

If memory serves, the Pinnacle has a different (much much different) wine list then the MDR. However, since I always bring my own wine' i've never really had to deal with the outrageous - but expected - markup.

There are two reasons why we selected HAL as our preferred cruise line when we started cruising: the wine policy and the amazing 3rd and 4th person rates. Both are gone now. It took us 3 years to become 3rd Star Mariners, i don't think I'll ever become a 4th star now.

HAL's problem is playing badly with key elements of its branding. It has now allowed loyal cruisers to look at other brands.

We are in The Hague before our Prinsendam cruise to Bordeux. Our reservation changed from Swisshotel AMS, to Bussum, then finally the NH in The Hague, where we have a very nice room with a free mini bar and bottle of wine. Actually, it is fun to see a different city in Holland.

OK...this is my point. We bought some wine by Medoc and St. Emillion, where we will be visiting next week. We thought it would be fun to try the wine prior, then compare prices. But....I am so sad, knowing that this will be the last trip where I will be able to do this. We love trying different wines in Europe, because at home we drink the same stuff we find at Costco. I so hope that HAL will impose a corkage for unlimited wine. This trip is going to be bittersweet.....come on HAL---let us try European wines!!!

If memory serves, the Pinnacle has a different (much much different) wine list then the MDR. However, since I always bring my own wine' i've never really had to deal with the outrageous - but expected - markup.

There are two reasons why we selected HAL as our preferred cruise line when we started cruising: the wine policy and the amazing 3rd and 4th person rates. Both are gone now. It took us 3 years to become 3rd Star Mariners, i don't think I'll ever become a 4th star now.

HAL's problem is playing badly with key elements of its branding. It has now allowed loyal cruisers to look at other brands.

the bolding is mine - this is so true - if they were smart they would 'fix' this. The longer they take - the longer we all look. Love HAL but between this and other things being reported and HAL's lack of response - people are going to be looking - they can't help but do it;)

mmmmm....mushrooms would be a great sub for the snails (or slugs or puppy dog tails). Bread cubes would work too :)

Carnival makes it this way for veggie option (in addition to the standard)..i wont eat snails because i like them, (long story) but i love the mushrooms...

I also wont eat frog legs because i like frogs. :eek:

Hey everyone, i was able to pick up my laptop Thurs, so when the weekend from hell is over i will start the petition. Holiday weekend here so i will get a break around tues/wed. Sorry taking so long! But let me say best buy's black tie protection is the best thing ever. If they can not repair it, they will replace it!

Carnival makes it this way for veggie option (in addition to the standard)..i wont eat snails because i like them, (long story) but i love the mushrooms...

I also wont eat frog legs because i like frogs. :eek:

I would rather have a pet snail than eat one :D. frogs too!!

Just sent emails to the 3 HAL execs whose emails were posted earlier in this thread. Hopefully everyone on this thread will do the same. I will also be glad to sign a petition to stop the implementation of this policy.

Have a great next cruise.

Mark my word, soft drinks and water will be next. Anything the cruise lines can make a buck off of will be banned from "guests" bringing on their ships.

Actually NCL already will not allow passengers to bring on anything including water and soda so you are restricted to only buying everything on the ship at their prices.

That is why I have never sailed on NCL and never will no matter what deal they offer me.

Archived