NCL-A blast from the 80's with pics-just a fun little thread & review

mitsugirly

Our very first cruise was on the Southward the Seawards sister ship. A ten day Southern Caribbean cruise now that's diving in feet First. I remember packing three or four dinner jackets, you had no choice but to wear a jacket at dinner. I thought our ship was huge until St. Thomas where we docked next to the Soverign of The Seas the then reigning biggest cruise ship in the world. Cruising was different back then some of it better some worst depending on your point of view.

Thank you' date=' it is a very interesting thread. I had a lot of fun reading it. :)[/quote']

Why thank you Gambee's mom. Glad to have you here. :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. My first cruise was the NCL Norway in 1986. I was in my 20's. Loved the grandness of cruising, loved dressing up for an elegant dinner every night. I went with a church group so I ate with friends not strangers. That helped!

My roomie and I had an inside that must have been a converted broom closet. But we were so young and active we only used it to shower, dress and sleep. Oh, have times chaned for me.

I recognized some of the materials you posted. I have my VOYAGES and a book on NORWAY (the ship). I will never het rid of them.

Cruising has changed in do many ways and I am ok with that. But fundamentally, the thing Iove the most is sailaway and looking out in the vast blue ocean and I get that tingly feeling. That has not changed and probably never will.

Thanks for the memories.

Had to laugh at the broom closet comment. :D

Oh my gosh...how could I have forgot sail aways...they use to give you champagne and I remember the party poppers that flew everywhere as we were pulling away. Now days, sometimes you don't even know you are actually moving out because there's a huge party going on down on the pool deck with tons of dancing and loud music. :p There have been a few times were I stopped to grab a drink and think..."wait, were did the port go?" :o

Boy does that bring back some memories. Thanks for dusting off the cobwebs in my attic ..:D

P.S I still have the T-shirt they gave you if you hit all the clay targets off the back of the ship... ( it was a 16 gauge pump shot gun ) what memories.. ;)

Thanks

You must have been one of those that the fish truly loved because it's sounded like you were a great shot that could shatter things in a million pieces. :D

Our very first cruise was on the Southward the Seawards sister ship. A ten day Southern Caribbean cruise now that's diving in feet First. I remember packing three or four dinner jackets, you had no choice but to wear a jacket at dinner. I thought our ship was huge until St. Thomas where we docked next to the Soverign of The Seas the then reigning biggest cruise ship in the world. Cruising was different back then some of it better some worst depending on your point of view.

Maybe I should have jumped in feet first. I still have yet to do a southern cruise and it's killing me. :( Hmmm, the dinner jackeets, I do remember that my husband never wore one. He had a dressy shirt with a tie and the dress pants and shoes, but never a dinner jacket. :confused:

Thankyou so much for taking the time and effort to entertain so many of us with your treasure trove of old-time cruisin' memories....

I hope it inspires other's to attempt similar posts.

As for the singles sharing offered by NCL....didn't the Norway, as a former ocean liner have some remaining single cabins at the time, or were they eliminated when NCL converted the France into the Norway?

Also, unless things have changed recently, I believe Holland America still offers a similar program for sharing with another (although not 3 others), and if they can't match you up with another same sex single, you get the whole cabin for half price...

What a great trip down Memory Lane for you. Thanks for sharing. Love these type of posts :)

Thanks, I wasn't sure if others would like it and thought I'd give it a try anyhow. :D

Great thread my first was 1985 carnival on the carnivale I was 15 and was hooked since best vacations ever.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Although I took my 3 oldest children on a cruise when they were around 6, 12, and 14, only the (then 12 year old) daughter decided to keep up with it and has went on several cruises with us recently. I can't get my other 2 (both boys) to go with me. They come up with every excuse in the book...work, school, money, girlfriends...blah blah blah. Maybe one day. :rolleyes:

Thankyou so much for taking the time and effort to entertain so many of us with your treasure trove of old-time cruisin' memories....

I hope it inspires other's to attempt similar posts.

As for the singles sharing offered by NCL....didn't the Norway, as a former ocean liner have some remaining single cabins at the time, or were they eliminated when NCL converted the France into the Norway?

Also, unless things have changed recently, I believe Holland America still offers a similar program for sharing with another (although not 3 others), and if they can't match you up with another same sex single, you get the whole cabin for half price...

Why thank you for the comment. I was hoping others would share their experiences here too. I think it's kinda neat to look back at how things use to be and remember. I'm sure I am forgetting a lot of things.

I can't even imagine being booked in a room with someone you didn't know. Everyone has their own little "habits" and routines and most people like their privacy (I mean think of all of the people on here that complained about the Epic and their bathrooms and showers being glass :eek:), but to share that with someone you don't know...yikes.

How did you pay for things while on the ship? Well, mostly CASH. Yikes...I know. While back then, most people did not like to carry cash when traveling, so we opted for the next best thing...travelers checks. Also you could write a check in some places, with proper ID of course.

P8020118-M.jpg

Now this is one thing that I wasn't aware of and didn't realize until today when I was reading the brochure book. I had to LOL at it and wondered how many people actually did this? How uncomfortable would you feel? (Thank goodness for the idea of studio cabins now right?)

P8020117-M.jpg

Once upon a time, back in the 80's I worked with a Pharmacist who loved to cruise. I vaguely remember her taking about sharing a cabin with folks she didn't know,:rolleyes: and getting "close" to the room stewards:eek:

Loved the thread, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Edited by debnjoe1438

My first cruise was on the Skyward in 1981. Got me hooked. I remember getting big cut's of steak and whole main lobsters back then. I brought out my photo's and enjoyed.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I wonder if I could use this cruise for the loyalty program.

(except for the night we were in the middle of eating and watching the show and we felt a "bump" and the lights went out for awhile...yea, you don't wanna know).

I kind of do want to know! If you're willing to share :)

This was just a fun thread - thank you so much for sharing your memories and all the great pictures!!!

Our first cruise was in 1993 on Sovereign of the Seas; I booked the cruise and hubby didn't want to go(he said "What am I going to do on a cruise?) Well, he went and has been hooked since.

Did several more RCCL cruises but am now a NCL cruiser.

What a great read! Loved it.

Makes me wish I had gone on 'the cruise that didn't happen' back in 1986. We planned it with a bunch of friends when I was pregnant with out first child. He was in the hospital for 6 days after he was born, we had bills to pay, and had to cancel the cruise. Our friends all went and had a great time.

A year later, we did go to Cozumel for 8 days to make up for it. We stayed at the then Hotel Intercontinental that had an AWESOME pool like you described. My favorite place by the pool was in a hammock in a sandy area with a book. We awoke every morning and looked out our window and my husband would say it was another shi--y day in paradise! One morning we looked out and behold, there was a cruise ship there! I felt sorry for those people because they could only stay for a day.

I have been back to Cozumel three times since then, all on a cruise stop. I can't wait to visit again in December.

Once upon a time, back in the 80's I worked with a Pharmacist who loved to cruise. I vaguely remember her taking about sharing a cabin with folks she didn't know,:rolleyes: and getting "close" to the room stewards:eek:

Loved the thread, thanks for taking the time to do it.

I just had NO clue that you could do that, but I guess it makes sense because it probably wasn't as "iffy" to cruise with people you didn't know back then. I do see people on here every once in a blue moon post on a roll call that they would like to join someone that might be traveling alone or even with a family so save $$. Although I could never do that, at least this is the day and age of internet and you would be able to get to know the person a little prior to the cruise now.

My first cruise was on the Skyward in 1981. Got me hooked. I remember getting big cut's of steak and whole main lobsters back then. I brought out my photo's and enjoyed.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I wonder if I could use this cruise for the loyalty program.

I would love if you shared the photos. :) Feel free!

Yes, as a matter of fact you can use it to add to your latitudes. I used my Seaward one. :) You just have to have proof that you went. I provided receipts, luggage tags, pictures with the Captain, pictures that they took boarding the ship and pictures of us standing in front of the ship. Anything to prove that you were actually on the ship. :D

I kind of do want to know! If you're willing to share :)

This was just a fun thread - thank you so much for sharing your memories and all the great pictures!!!

Well, we felt a "bump", the lights went out (except for the flaming Alaskan :D). When the light finally came back on, everyone just apologized for the inconvenience and they kinda went about their business. The following morning, we heard that they had hit a small boat. :eek: We never did hear what happened to that boat, what type of boat, or anything.

Our first cruise was in 1993 on Sovereign of the Seas; I booked the cruise and hubby didn't want to go(he said "What am I going to do on a cruise?) Well, he went and has been hooked since.

Did several more RCCL cruises but am now a NCL cruiser.

I wish I would have stayed with cruising after my first 2 cruises. I swear every time that I went I swore I loved it so much that that's what I was going to do every year for vacation instead of land vacations. But it just never happened.

So when we started cruising again a few years back, I made the hubby swear to me we were going to cruise every year. Eventually I managed to work my way up to 2 cruises a year now (yea, I'm slick and snuck that in on the hubby by booking in toward the beginning of the year and then again toward the end of the year. :D) There was once when we thought about planning another "land" vacation and half way during our planning, I completely nixed the idea and said screw it, we are cruising and that's that! :p

What a great read! Loved it.

Makes me wish I had gone on 'the cruise that didn't happen' back in 1986. We planned it with a bunch of friends when I was pregnant with out first child. He was in the hospital for 6 days after he was born' date=' we had bills to pay, and had to cancel the cruise. Our friends all went and had a great time.

A year later, we did go to Cozumel for 8 days to make up for it. We stayed at the then Hotel Intercontinental that had an AWESOME pool like you described. My favorite place by the pool was in a hammock in a sandy area with a book. We awoke every morning and looked out our window and my husband would say it was another shi--y day in paradise! One morning we looked out and behold, there was a cruise ship there! I felt sorry for those people because they could only stay for a day.

I have been back to Cozumel three times since then, all on a cruise stop. I can't wait to visit again in December.[/size']

Wow, we have a lot in common. I was pregnant with my first child in 1986 too. :) Had my second in 1988...so that's why we waited until 1989 to cruise. hehe

I do have to admit, I would love to go and spend an entire week on the islands. I would love to go to Cozumel and Roatan for sure. I would definitely get my "fix" there. The thought of being able to visit each place there that people on here talk about going to visit for only a few hours each cruise would be heaven! No time schedule=ahhhh. :D

So that is my share of our blast from the past.

Feel free to share your stories and pictures.

It's interesting to see how things have changed. Both the good and the bad. :)

Thanks do much for this! I had a big laugh at the size of the boat, I mean, ship !!

This is a great thread! :D Thanks Mitsugirly!!

I swore I would never cruise because of all the stories of getting seasick, gaining weight, etc! It wasn't until I was pounding the pavement....looking for some quick (and mandatory) contact hours to maintain my nursing license that I found an ad for a sailing with nurses....which happened to have lectures on board during sea days. I bit the bullet and signed up! I was in a teeny-tiny inside with 3 other nurses who were also looking for those blasted contact hours.

We all boarded the Norwegian Star....not knowing what to expect and loaded up with Bonine (which I rarely ever use now) on our way to Alaska.......and I never looked back! I've since upgraded myself to suites but would happily camp out in a broom closet if it gave me a chance to cruise! Needless to say, I'm hooked!;)

I tried one year to not take a cruise and do a land-based vacation. Holy guacamole.....I seriously went through withdrawal and booked two cruises the very next year! I will always have one cruise booked....just because the countdown clock keeps me sane during the rest of the year!:o

Thanks do much for this! I had a big laugh at the size of the boat, I mean, ship !!

Haha. They were so big and grand (or so we thought) back then. :o

This is a great thread! :D Thanks Mitsugirly!!

I swore I would never cruise because of all the stories of getting seasick, gaining weight, etc! It wasn't until I was pounding the pavement....looking for some quick (and mandatory) contact hours to maintain my nursing license that I found an ad for a sailing with nurses....which happened to have lectures on board during sea days. I bit the bullet and signed up! I was in a teeny-tiny inside with 3 other nurses who were also looking for those blasted contact hours.

We all boarded the Norwegian Star....not knowing what to expect and loaded up with Bonine (which I rarely ever use now) on our way to Alaska.......and I never looked back! I've since upgraded myself to suites but would happily camp out in a broom closet if it gave me a chance to cruise! Needless to say, I'm hooked!;)

I tried one year to not take a cruise and do a land-based vacation. Holy guacamole.....I seriously went through withdrawal and booked two cruises the very next year! I will always have one cruise booked....just because the countdown clock keeps me sane during the rest of the year!:o

I have read about those type of cruises and studying abroad at school. I am actually thinking about doing a trip to Mexico at a clinic in January. I think it would be a neat experience and humbling. Every once in awhile, I will see them post the cruise ship studies. Now that would be neat!

My oldest daughter (the one who loves to cruise too) is trying to talk me into taking the little ones to Disney next year instead of a cruise. (She tried to do this to me this summer too...I won and we all went on the Dream HA!)

But she's at it again for next year. Next year I graduate Nursing school (fingers crossed) and the last thing I want to do for my graduation is to go to Disney. Give me a cruise to celebrate!!!

I have been to Disney when I was young. I have been to Disney when I was a teen. I went to Disney when I was on a land vacation with the (1st) hubby in Florida back when I was in my 20's. I took my 3 oldest kids to Disney when they were young. I went to Disney on another Florida vacation on my honeymoon 7 years ago with my (now) hubby. I'm Disney-ed out. I said the last time I was there, I would never go back. Disney is nice, but it's not the thing (for me) to do more than a few times. Now I do LOVE Universal Studios, Universal Islands of Adventure, MGM (which I think they changed the name of this now) and Animal Kingdom.

However, I now have a 5 year old and she has not been. So.....I KNOW this will have to happen again. However, she loves her cruises (but I know she would love Disney too) but, she really has no idea what Disney is or really all of the characters other than Mickey Mouse. She just doesn't watch Disney stuff. She likes Dora, Sponge Bob and Willie. She watches a lot of National Geographic (she's an animal freak). :p So I refuse to take her to Disney and spend all of that money on something she has no idea what it is. I just feel she would be more excited if she "knew" it...ya know?

So, maybe some day...but definitely NOT for my graduation celebration. :D

I have read about those type of cruises and studying abroad at school. I am actually thinking about doing a trip to Mexico at a clinic in January. I think it would be a neat experience and humbling. Every once in awhile, I will see them post the cruise ship studies. Now that would be neat!

My oldest daughter (the one who loves to cruise too) is trying to talk me into taking the little ones to Disney next year instead of a cruise. (She tried to do this to me this summer too...I won and we all went on the Dream HA!)

But she's at it again for next year. Next year I graduate Nursing school (fingers crossed) and the last thing I want to do for my graduation is to go to Disney. Give me a cruise to celebrate!!!

I have been to Disney when I was young. I have been to Disney when I was a teen. I went to Disney when I was on a land vacation with the (1st) hubby in Florida back when I was in my 20's. I took my 3 oldest kids to Disney when they were young. I went to Disney on another Florida vacation on my honeymoon 7 years ago with my (now) hubby. I'm Disney-ed out. I said the last time I was there, I would never go back. Disney is nice, but it's not the thing (for me) to do more than a few times. Now I do LOVE Universal Studios, Universal Islands of Adventure, MGM (which I think they changed the name of this now) and Animal Kingdom.

However, I now have a 5 year old and she has not been. So.....I KNOW this will have to happen again. However, she loves her cruises (but I know she would love Disney too) but, she really has no idea what Disney is or really all of the characters other than Mickey Mouse. She just doesn't watch Disney stuff. She likes Dora, Sponge Bob and Willie. She watches a lot of National Geographic (she's an animal freak). :p So I refuse to take her to Disney and spend all of that money on something she has no idea what it is. I just feel she would be more excited if she "knew" it...ya know?

After you PASS your NCLEX boards next year....and you're up for your first licensure renewal, we can plan a continuing education cruise together!! It was a blast..except I really had trouble concentrating cruising thru Glacier Bay!!:eek: I heard NCL was great to work with...and I'm part of the Ohio Nurses Association (and can write an application for contact hours)!!! All we need to do is get the speakers!! Woot-woot!!

And did you notice that NCL is the beginning of NCLEX!?!! It must be a sign!!;)

What a great post and a wonderful trip down memory lane.

My first cruise was I believe in 1972 on I think it was the Seaward. I remember packing a costume for the "Masquerade Night" I think my GF, who traveled with my parents and I ended up making a toga from the bed sheets. The room steward must have loved us! I think the drinks at that time were about 35 cents!

Been hooked every since (luckily DH was already a cruise fan when we got married) and now my grown children are taking cruises on their own. My DD just took her BF on his first cruise and now he's hooked too. Another convert!

FYI MGM is now Hollywood Studios. My grandchildern (who know when they are on any disney property), like to shorten it to studios.:D

I love the thread, and had to smile at being Disneyed out. You should go at Christmas time, with adult childeren, spouses & grandchrildren, just because one or two work for Disney.The price is right, however, I'm well passed "disneyed out" :D

After you PASS your NCLEX boards next year....and you're up for your first licensure renewal, we can plan a continuing education cruise together!! It was a blast..except I really had trouble concentrating cruising thru Glacier Bay!!:eek: I heard NCL was great to work with...and I'm part of the Ohio Nurses Association (and can write an application for contact hours)!!! All we need to do is get the speakers!! Woot-woot!!

And did you notice that NCL is the beginning of NCLEX!?!! It must be a sign!!;)

Oh my gosh, how neat would that be? I would LOVE to. What all do you do on them? Is it conducted like a class? (So many hours a day of learning) Or are you doing things like you do when you are on a missionary and actually helping people? Either way, it sounds really cool. I'm up for it! :D

WOW...NCL-NCLEX. I never noticed that. I had to point that out to my husband. That HAS to be a sign!!!

What a great post and a wonderful trip down memory lane.

My first cruise was I believe in 1972 on I think it was the Seaward. I remember packing a costume for the "Masquerade Night" I think my GF, who traveled with my parents and I ended up making a toga from the bed sheets. The room steward must have loved us! I think the drinks at that time were about 35 cents!

Been hooked every since (luckily DH was already a cruise fan when we got married) and now my grown children are taking cruises on their own. My DD just took her BF on his first cruise and now he's hooked too. Another convert!

Wait, your first cruise was on the Seaward in 1972? Was there another Seaward? The Seaward we went on was newly built in 1988. But how neat to dress up for the masquerade night. That would be a lot of fun and I LOVED the idea of the toga with the sheets. :D