Pompeii & stray dogs

torontogal70

Should I be worried about the stray dogs in Pompeii? I heard dogs are an issue and wondering whether they are aggressive? We do not intend on feeding them and will be ignoring them but still a little fearful of disease and aggression.

Should I be worried?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No need to fear them at all. We saw a few, not too many, maybe 3 of them and they just lay around. I think we saw more dogs in Athens then in Pompeii.

My younger son (15) was attacked by a dog when he was little, so he's normally afraid of dogs and he was fine with them.

Should I be worried about the stray dogs in Pompeii? I heard dogs are an issue and wondering whether they are aggressive? We do not intend on feeding them and will be ignoring them but still a little fearful of disease and aggression.

Should I be worried?

No. I really do not know where some of these " I heard"..stories start,but if htere was a big problem you would hear about it on a travel board and not from someone who may have had a problem with seeing a dog or two.It's like the cats in Rome...there are a LOT of them that live in some old ruins that people take care of and feed,but they do no harm.

No need to fear them at all. We saw a few, not too many, maybe 3 of them and they just lay around. I think we saw more dogs in Athens then in Pompeii.

My younger son (15) was attacked by a dog when he was little, so he's normally afraid of dogs and he was fine with them.

Good to know as my son was chased by a dog when he was really young!

Those dogs are so docile you'd think they were drugged, they are totally safe.....and there aren't that many around Pompeii, far more at the Acropolis in Athens, but there too they are very mellow.....

I saw far more cats in Rome & Naples area than dogs....

We recall a similar post last year from a lady who had a huge fear of stray dogs. Yes, there are stray dogs all over Europe and I love to take my "dog photos" when we travel. After forty+ years of travel in Europe we have never had an issue with an aggressive dog....and its seems like most European dogs are always sleeping (which is what many dogs do).

And the OP is right to not feed a stray as this is never a good idea.

Hank

Good to know as my son was chased by a dog when he was really young!

I usually mention that fact just in case anyone has similar fears. People who have never had that experience don't understand the anxiety it can cause.

Like others have said the dogs are very docile, I think in our case it was the heat, they found their spot of shade and laid there.

As others have said there are a few stray dogs.

A couple of years ago my wife was bitten by a dog on a leash who seemed quite calm so from then on we are very cautious when we see any dog unless we know them.

With that said we have not had any problems with the dogs in pompeii bothering us.

Keith

Archived