new option to Tahiti

Hawaiidan

Hawaiian Air has rescheduled their flt 481, HNL to PPT for a 9:30 pm arrival inorder to accomidiate a rising number of cruise passengers they said today..

This is a great option as it is only a 5.5 hour flight rather than a 9 hour from LAX and gives the option of a layover in Hawaii.

Imention this because of a lot of different Marina cruises leaving from PPT in the coming year.

:D

If flying from East coast, HNL would be a nice place to take a little break after a long flight before flying to PPT.

It would work even with AAdvantage miles as you are allowed a stop-over in last (or first) US gateway city - in this case HNL.

just tried checking on AA and didnt see anything about this flight. I can use miles to fly from Newark to HNL, stay a day, then maybe go to PTT. Wonder how many miles would need from HNL to Ptt. Anyone can help, or figure out another way? thanks alot

just tried checking on AA and didnt see anything about this flight. I can use miles to fly from Newark to HNL, stay a day, then maybe go to PTT. Wonder how many miles would need from HNL to Ptt. Anyone can help, or figure out another way? thanks alot

Elaine,

I am checking with the "experts" on FT (FlyerTalk) about the free stop-over in HNL when flying for miles. I am fairly sure that you can do that but I will be back after I hear from the experts.

It would cost 37,500 AA miles in economy and 62,500 miles for business one way (US to South Pacific in the table).

The NYC to HNL could be AA or AA/ HA/AS, the HNL to PPT would be on HA.

Paul

The experts confirm that I am right and it is bookable that way.

In fact I test booked it with a 3 day stop-over in HNL for a random date for March 2014 for 37,500 miles in economy.

Just remember that these FP cruises are in the winter and award flights to HNL in winter go fast. Plan well ahead!

PS of course, you could do the same thing via LAX with a stop-over there and the with Tahiti Nui to PPT. It may be shorter that way but LA ain't Honolulu :D or go there via HNL and return via LAX.

We used AA points to go to Tahiti in May. If you flew through Honolulu, you could book it online using the AA website. If you went with Air Tahiti Nui through LA you needed to call AA and have them book it for you. The nice thing about using AA points is that it is the same number of points whether you fly from LA or connect through LA from anywhere in the continental US, so the flight to and from Florida was included with no extra points necessary. We flew business class for 125,000 points roundtrip per person and were even able to fly out of Fort Lauderdale and back into Miami with no problem. It was the same number of points to do the same trip through Honolulu with AA, but the connections were much better through LA for us. It was 75,000 points roundtrip for economy. First class would have been 135,000 points, but ATN was in the process of revamping their planes and did not offer any seats (there were only 4) for points.

Here is a copy of one of the replies I received on FT pertinent to your HNL stop-over (and then some):

Yes, although that's not what makes HNL a gateway eligible for stopover. The correct term is not "U.S. gateway" but "North American gateway." MEX (read Mexico City) is an eligible North American gateway, as is every city in Canada that has nonstop BA service. The question is not whether HNL is in the United States, but whether it's in AAdvantage's North American region. And it is.

Thus, in theory, one can use even Mexico City, Vancouver, Toronto, etc as a stop-over as long as it is the first or last North American gateway on one's flight.

Many savvy travelers use this "rule" to get "free" flights.

For example, if you live in LA and are coming home from Europe, you get a Europe - LAX (stop)-HNL in business or first, where you come home to LA and then 6 months later you fly to HNL on the same award in business or first. The cost in points is the same whether you fly Europe to LA or all the way to HNL. Of course, you have to pay or get an award to fly back to LA. Same would be true for NYC or Chicago, if that is your home and your first stop in NA.

I hope this helps.

The best thing is In flying from NY to HNL it is an 11 hour flight that is 5 to 6 time zones and then a 5.5 hour to Tahiti a day or 2 later having rested from the first flight and shaken off any jet lag.

so you arrive at Tahiti fresh and relaxed The Tahiti flight is all in the same time zone so no jet lag This route is 16.5 hours of flying and you spend a Thursday and Friday night in Honolulu.

Flying through LAX from say NY it is a 5.5 hrs to NY and then 9 hours with a long connection in LAX This is a non stop sort of haul that leaves most trashed when you arrive as the latter is a red-eye.

A third advantage in more Oceania passengers taking this route is that bigger numbers on the flight that created an insurance for the ship to wait. Presently a bunch of us in Hawaii have booked this flight...so the more the merrier

PS of course, you could do the same thing via LAX with a stop-over there and the with Tahiti Nui to PPT. It may be shorter that way but LA ain't Honolulu :D or go there via HNL and return via LAX.

Really? Well, we do have palm trees and the same ocean. :)

Really? Well, we do have palm trees and the same ocean. :)

So does Lima :D

Well, that's the extent of similarities as far as I am concerned (not even that entirely, as only the hardy ones can swim in LA and anybody can swim in HNL) :)

What can I say.

Getting an award on AA or Delta to Tahiti may be a tall order as there are very few seats to be had.

However, there are tons of seats to Honolulu and easy to snag for about 40,000 miles one way.

Then , book Hawaiian for $670 coach or $1570 business from Honolulu to Tahiti and get a nice break in Honoulu or heck Maui or Kona as you can interisland for under $90 each way/

I looked at the April 19 flight, HNL to PPT. ( Mind you its 9 months out) and 50% of the business class seats are already booked ! That leaves only 9 seats total left ! :eek: That, so far in advance for the high price seats is very telling to me...these are the last to sell many times.

This flight option appears to be very popular as there will be 3 ships departing the late evening of the 19 from Tahiti,

Princess, Marina, Paul Gaugin.

I checked Air Tahiti NUI and their arrival time is at 9pm, Hawaiian at 9:30pm pm and another Air Tahiti NUI from Aukland arrives at 9:40 pm

PG held our ship as the flight from Hawaii was late getting in to Papeete. They included that flight as their "free air" for those traveling from Hawaii. Perhaps Oceania will do the same. As the flight is only on Saturdays, there may not be much demand for the flight unless people want to add on hotel stays at one or both ends.

PG held our ship as the flight from Hawaii was late getting in to Papeete. They included that flight as their "free air" for those traveling from Hawaii. Perhaps Oceania will do the same. As the flight is only on Saturdays, there may not be much demand for the flight unless people want to add on hotel stays at one or both ends.

Good to know on the hold. I am booking Business as insurance as there will be almost 900 passengers arriving between 9 and 9:40. Getting off and to immigration ahead of 600 others will be important.

As to popularity, this flight is selling faster than I have seen in a long time when 9 months out there are only 190 coach and 8 first/business seats left out of 296

Remember there will be 3 ships boarding that evening !

Archived