Passport Question

Sunsetters

How long does your passport have to be good for when going on a cruise. This is our 4th cruise and previous years we had years left before our passports expire, this year I will only have 4 months left on the last day of our cruise before it expires. The Canadian Travel Advisory site, states that certain islands require up to 6 months left on your passport in order to enter the country. Carnival Cruise site states that your passport must not expire before the last day of cruise. I am confused, anyone know where I can find this information?

That might be Carnival's policy but most countries it is " 6 months left on your passport in order to enter the country".

In fact they might want to see that it is still valid 6 months before you are scheduled to depart (not just enter) the country. Obviously that is not applicable for a-new-country-a-day cruises but just adding that for completeness as it would affect someone if they were to end the cruise in a foreign port and planned on staying/travelling for a while longer.

We recently renewed ours to ensure there would be no problems.

That might be Carnival's policy but most countries it is " 6 months left on your passport in order to enter the country".

In fact they might want to see that it is still valid 6 months before you are scheduled to depart (not just enter) the country. Obviously that is not applicable for a-new-country-a-day cruises but just adding that for completeness as it would affect someone if they were to end the cruise in a foreign port and planned on staying/travelling for a while longer.

We recently renewed ours to ensure there would be no problems.

Bad information...

Caribbean countries it just needs to be valid for the stay.

All of the countries of the Schengen Agreement — 25 European countries, which is most but not all of them — require only three months' validity after exiting the country. Note that the United Kingdom is not on this list; in the U.K.'s case, any valid passport is accepted with no minimums enforced. Policies among the European nations not in the Schengen Area vary quite a bit.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/count...ty-100788.html

I don't know where people get this six month thing from!

Not sure where folks get this idea that "most countries require at least 6 months" which is absolutely not true. It varies by countries with a large majority either requiring just a valid passport or at least 3 months left on a Passport. Yes, there are some countries that do require 6 months... but they are mostly in Asia with a few others in South and Central America. As previously mentioned, all the Schengen countries require 3 months and the non-Schengen countries have various rules. For US citizens it's best to simply go the Dept of State travel site and check the requirements for each country on your cruise. This site not only gives you the appropriate Passport info but also lets you know about any Visa requirements (if any).

Of course the wisest course of action is always have at least 6 months remaining on your Passport at the end our your trip....

Hank

Bad information...

Caribbean countries it just needs to be valid for the stay.

All of the countries of the Schengen Agreement — 25 European countries, which is most but not all of them — require only three months' validity after exiting the country. Note that the United Kingdom is not on this list; in the U.K.'s case, any valid passport is accepted with no minimums enforced. Policies among the European nations not in the Schengen Area vary quite a bit.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/count...ty-100788.html

Bad information ...

No where did I comment on specific areas but kept it general on purpose for a general cruise question thread. Rules change and as others have suggested 6 months is a reasonable time limit and that THEY SHOULD CHECK. I am not about to list the specific rules for Jamaica, UK, or Schengen area or even ones directly related to their itinerary.

Bad information...

<snip>

Not sure where folks get this idea that "most countries require at least 6 months" which is absolutely not true.<CHOP>

Hank

You are correct. I should not have used the 'most' but perhaps 'some'. I have not actually counted.

But where do folks get such crazy ideas that maybe 6 months is reasonable time limit? Also given as general information as we gave here perhaps people are getting the info from those who issue the passports such as:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/passport

"Some countries require that your passport be valid for 6 months beyond your date of entry. Check the Country Travel Advice and Advisory for your destination to establish whether the 6-month rule applies."

Yes, they did write 'some' and not 'most'

and here

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

As well:

"Although many countries require that a passport be valid at least six months beyond the duration of your stay, American authorities currently state that as a Canadian: "Your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your planned trip to the U.S."

These entry requirements are determined by the authorities of the United States and are subject to change at any time."

Note the 'subject to change at any time'. Does happen even while away.

And some can even maybe stay longer:

http://denmark.usembassy.gov/visa/nonimmigrantvisa/faq/pvq.html

The United States has an agreement with Denmark automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date

This is turning into another 'spin on the details' passport thread.

The OP is getting it renewed which is simply the simplest thing to do

How long does your passport have to be good for when going on a cruise. This is our 4th cruise and previous years we had years left before our passports expire, this year I will only have 4 months left on the last day of our cruise before it expires. The Canadian Travel Advisory site, states that certain islands require up to 6 months left on your passport in order to enter the country. Carnival Cruise site states that your passport must not expire before the last day of cruise. I am confused, anyone know where I can find this information?

Actually Carnivals Website states the following :

Not certain where on Carnival's website that it's posted "Carnival Cruise site states that your passport must not expire before the last day of cruise." as you have posted. When I searched Carnival's Website it states the following here's the link to check for yourself. http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-543535

Q. Are passports required?

A. Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.
It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

Note to OP : 6 months beyond the completion of travel is not the same thing as a passport must not expire before the last day of cruise.

Actually Carnivals Website states the following :

Not certain where on Carnival's website that it's posted "Carnival Cruise site states that your passport must not expire before the last day of cruise." as you have posted. When I searched Carnival's Website it states the following here's the link to check for yourself. http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-543535

Q. Are passports required?

A. Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.
It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

Note to OP : 6 months beyond the completion of travel is not the same thing as a passport must not expire before the last day of cruise.

You do notice that 6 months is not required.

I don't know how all the misinformed people think you can travel on a cruise ship with a driver license and birth certificate if Carnival as above says you need a PASSPORT that is valid for at least 6 months?

Would you care to explain?

Do you understand recommended and required?

It is quite simple, really. In reality, some countries do require 6 month left.

We did a Med cruise last year with a stop in Turkey. While other countries on the itinerary may have required a 3 month time frame, Turkey was for 6 months, so the minimum cruise requirements were 6 months.

We did a Baltic cruise two years ago with stops in Russia. While other countries on the itinerary may have required a 3 month time frame, Russia was for 6 months, so the minimum cruise requirements were for 6 months.

We did a South American/Panama canal cruise four years ago with a stop in Ecuador. While other counties on the itinerary may have required a 3 month time frame, Ecuador was for 6 months, so the minimum cruise requirements were for 6 months.

THAT is where people "get this six month thing from!"

Like I said - it is quite simple. :rolleyes:

I don't know how all the misinformed people think you can travel on a cruise ship with a driver license and birth certificate if Carnival as above says you need a PASSPORT that is valid for at least 6 months?

Would you care to explain?

A person can only travel on a cruise ship with a Driver's License /Birth Certificate if the individual is a US citizen and it's a closed loop cruise.

If you bothered to have read the OP's post you would have noticed that he/she is from Canada. Therefore it's very likely OP is a Canadian Citizen and is "REQUIRED" to have a passport .

My previous post was pointing out that Carnival also recommended 6 Months left on one's passport since the OP was confused as to what the Canadian Travel Advisory recommends vs what they had found on Carnival's website.

Do you understand US Citizen and Canadian Citizen ?

Validity of Canadian passport

Although many countries require that a passport be valid at least six months beyond the duration of your stay, American authorities currently state that as a Canadian: "Your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your planned trip to the U.S."

Because, regardless of destination, many cruise lines and some airlines will not even let you board if your passport is not good for at least six more months.

Because, regardless of destination, many cruise lines and some airlines will not even let you board if your passport is not good for at least six more months.

Which was exactly what happened to me: travelling on a British managed ship, with an EC passport, and only to European countries ( which would have allowed me in with only one day left on the passport), but the cruise line would not allow me to check in on line with only 5 months left, instead of 6 months.

Archived