What to wear on Med. Cruise in October

Hi all.

DH & I are booked on the Liberty Mediterranean cruise leaving on October 13th.

My question is what kind of clothes do I need to bring? From what I have read (and from past experiences in Europe) for day touring we should dress in business type clothing (no jeans or sneakers). Is this right?

Also, at night, my experiences come only from Caribbean cruises. What type of clothes do you wear for dinner. I am used to summer dresses, not sure what the temp will be on the ship in October.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathy

Jeans and sneakers are just fine for day tours.

If you visit a church, you'll have to cover up your shoulders and knees, but that's it.

Business attire is really not needed anywhere in Europe (if you are not on a business trip).

The temp on the ship is the same as in any time of the year. There is no need to dress differently for dinner than on other cruises.

Edited by Sinppu

Our cruise was end of October to beginning of November. We went to Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Kusadasi, and Venice. We live in Texas and I tend to be cold-natured whereas DH breaks a sweat walking to our mailbox. The weather was great while we were there - 70s F and sunny during the day. It rained while we were in Venice, so the weather was damp and in the upper 50s/low 60s F. I wore jeans/khakis and layered my tops - usually a tank top and a lightweight long-sleeved or 3/4-sleeved sweater. DH wore jeans/khakis and a long-sleeve button up shirt most days. This area has a lot of churches that require knees and shoulders to be covered, which wasn't a problem during this time of year.

In the evening, on the ship, the temperature is comfortable and controlled. This is a good time to wear your business casual clothes on casual or smart casual nights.

Enjoy your cruise!

We're cruising the Med this October too. On the 12 night on Serenade. I'm planning on capri pants/jeans on all tours, short sleeved shirts or tanks and a light sweater - I'll probably buy a new one in black and white to be covered.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if a sleeveless dress would be appropriate at night but I guess it may be if the climate is controlled as in the Caribbean.

I am not looking to be dressed up in port, only wish to blend in and not stand out.

Kathy

I am not looking to be dressed up in port, only wish to blend in and not stand out.

No offense and I take this advice for myself as well as we have been on a Med cruise, but a tourist looks like a tourist. ;) The locals do dress differently whereas most tourists dress for comfort and stamina, especially concerning shoes.

Curious to know where you heard or read that you should wear business clothing in port; the locals may be wearing this but tourists wear jeans, shorts, sneakers, etc. all the time, not to worry.

Have fun. :)

No offense and I take this advice for myself as well as we have been on a Med cruise, but a tourist looks like a tourist. ;) The locals do dress differently whereas most tourists dress for comfort and stamina, especially concerning shoes.

Curious to know where you heard or read that you should wear business clothing in port; the locals may be wearing this but tourists wear jeans, shorts, sneakers, etc. all the time, not to worry.

Have fun. :)

Have to agree that the locals know a tourist when they see one no mater what you have on. Been to Europe more than a few times and seen many many jeans...but in the last few years they are always skinny jeans, with a layered look in the cooler climates.

Yes you will see the locals dressed in their business attire, however that is still going to look different than our business attire.

Your not going to fool anyone .......... so dress comfortably.:D

I've been through the Med during the end of September / beginning of October - it was 80 in Venice when we left and when we returned one week later a front came through and it was in the cool and damp 60's. It should still be warm in Greece however. I've been to all of those ports....Dubrovnik is incredible...if you are a walker, try to walk the circumference of the city on the elevated wall. Also...if the weather is warm there is a cafe in Dubrovnik called the Cafe Buza (it might still be open if it's warm) - the view is incredible...it is a terraced cafe/pub on the outer wall of Dubrovnik overlooking the sea.

Back to your first question - my suggestion is you bring cotton light tops and a sweater or fleece to cover up if it gets too cool. Sneakers or some type of comfortable walking shoe. On the ship is never a problem (long sleeves vs sleeveless) - you're in a controlled environment. I have several "pashmina" ;) scarves I use as an instant wrap if I get too cold on the ship.

Most of all...have a wonderful cruise!

Not sure why people think you are going to the Eastern Med :confused: The places mentioned above are usually still warm in the middle of October but you are doing a Western Med cruise and, although there is every chance you will get warm days - particularly the further South you go, you could also get some cooler days and rain. Make sure you bring lots of layers and, as pointed out, dress for comfort.

I was in Italy (Rome) and Spain late Oct thru early Nov and there was NEVER a need or opportunity to wear capris. I always had a lightweight jacket on and had a black rain jacket because it was cool and rainy about 1/3 of the time.

While it is somewhat futile to attempt to look like you fit in, I would advise wearing darker solid colors with perhaps a tasteful silk scarf to add the "drama". That big floral top will give you away as an American. I wore very comfortable black shoes because the cobblestone is a killer on the feet- be careful!

Of greater importance is having a plan for your valuables. I have a Scottevest/jacket and never had a problem. I also carried a daybag that had my Kindle with some Rick Steve's downloads for tours, water, maps, etc.

Yes, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. :D

Oh, I disagree. Follow these steps and you will be practically invisible.

When in Venice, wear the red and white horizontal striped shirts like the gondoliers do.

When in Rome, wear a toga. When in Greece, wear a toga.

When in Kusadasi, float on a carpet wearing fake designer clothes such as Sunni and Burka or Infidel Dior.

:p

People are only in suits etc as many of the European ports are working cities, not beach holiday resorts. I am English, but I have also worked in other European cities and worn a suit.

I would never wear a suit as a tourist to a European city though, it's pretty much the same as in London, and the weather could be anything from 40F to 80F!

If I were going, I would wear black or white linen trousers, with t-shirt and a sweatshirt/hoodie.

and also yes, check out what bits need to be covered (eg knees) for some religious places etc.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if a sleeveless dress would be appropriate at night but I guess it may be if the climate is controlled as in the Caribbean.

Kathy

We all look like tourists in different countries. it's the it where you're standing in the middle of the road looking at a map, with cars passing either side.

Edited by Ifoundmydream

We all look like tourists in different countries. it's the it where you're standing in the middle of the road looking at a map, with cars passing either side.

Hell, we look like tourists in different parts of our own country sometimes! (At least in the USA :D)

• 5 years later...

Are white jean or white slacks appropriate for a late October Med cruise. We leave Barcelona October 17 and go to Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Malta. I wondered about white jeans in port and white slacks for evening on the ships. Is this too summery looking?

• 2 weeks later...
Are white jean or white slacks appropriate for a late October Med cruise. We leave Barcelona October 17 and go to Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Malta. I wondered about white jeans in port and white slacks for evening on the ships. Is this too summery looking?

I’m taking mine in 3 weeks.