Allergy sufferers and inside staterooms

I started having very bad allergies a few years ago (due to moving back to Jersey I think) and the first time I felt considerable relief was on an Alaska cruise last summer in a balcony cabin (my first). I'm allergic to grasses, ragweed, molds, maple, dust, and cat. Talk about a shock after growing up in New Jersey without any allergies. Anyways, I don't know if I was feeling so awesome on that last cruise because we were away from land and breathing the sea air, or it was Alaska and there are almost no allergens there, or because I was just so happy to be on a cruise. This time we have booked an inside stateroom on Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda and I'm wondering if the air circulation in there will be okay for allergies. As in, we will no longer have the sea air coming through our balcony door, but will it still be fresh and clean enough in the inside so that I can get some relief?

Curious as well to hear from any other allergy sufferers who cruise to alleviate allergy symptoms.

Hi, I have a similar allergy profile to yours, include almost all furry creatures, plus sensitivities to gasoline or diesel fumes, smoke, and heavy perfumes. We were in either promenade, ocean view, or inside cabins (so no sea air) for our first several cruises and I never had any problems in the cabin with the air quality.

I have had allergies most of my life. I just take anti-histamine, decongestant and saline spray in case something happens and try to live a normal life.

I am allergic to feathers and have problems with down bedding- I just ask for other bedding.

Good luck.

If you have seasonal allergies it can be pretty hit and miss with a cruise. Different regions have different allergy seasons and you may have just lucked out in Alaska and missed your allergy windows.

Have you ever noticed that you can have spring and summer allergies in the north but they hit you hard before a cruise in Florida in late winter?

I can't say I have allergies, but the last 4 cruises I had taken before my last one I became very ill with respiartory (sp) problems, ended up in the hospital 2 times because of it. My last cruise I had them check the air conditioning vent filter and it was filthy, black mold, etc. I had them change it and didn't get sick on that cruise. So, from now on, I will have my ac filter checked

Thanks for all the helpful replies! That's a good tip to check the AC filter in the cabin. We recently had that changed at home and that made a world of difference for me. Yeah, I've been on immunotherapy for 2 years, I take Singulair, Xyzal, veramyst, patanase, and sometimes a zyrtec or benedryl. I also netipot and we have a hepa air purifier at home. And my cat now lives with my parents :( But the allergies still pummel me sometimes. It's year round, but it's especially bad from June-October. But on that last cruise last July, it felt GREAT. So I think I can look forward to feeling great again when we go in October. If that works out, then we can keep booking inside rooms and save a ton of money in the future.

• 1 month later...
I can't say I have allergies, but the last 4 cruises I had taken before my last one I became very ill with respiartory (sp) problems, ended up in the hospital 2 times because of it. My last cruise I had them check the air conditioning vent filter and it was filthy, black mold, etc. I had them change it and didn't get sick on that cruise. So, from now on, I will have my ac filter checked

barbyj. This sounds like a great idea! Where is the A/C filter located in the cabin?

I have almost the same allergies as you. I had an inside. Really didnt have any trouble. But I did take my Claritin D everyday. Had to. When your allergic to dust and dust mites. Its very hard unless who ever cleans keeps everything immaculate. But that doesnt happen in the real world. I was also very bad in SXM and St Thomas. Flowers,Grass, new Weeds? I dont know but it wasnt good. Just take some meds with you and youll be fine. I do know the sea air helped a lot!! Also I found out that the Ocean kind of works like a netipot. If you get some sea water up your nose it clears everything up for awhile. ;)

I started having very bad allergies a few years ago (due to moving back to Jersey I think) and the first time I felt considerable relief was on an Alaska cruise last summer in a balcony cabin (my first). I'm allergic to grasses, ragweed, molds, maple, dust, and cat. Talk about a shock after growing up in New Jersey without any allergies. Anyways, I don't know if I was feeling so awesome on that last cruise because we were away from land and breathing the sea air, or it was Alaska and there are almost no allergens there, or because I was just so happy to be on a cruise. This time we have booked an inside stateroom on Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda and I'm wondering if the air circulation in there will be okay for allergies. As in, we will no longer have the sea air coming through our balcony door, but will it still be fresh and clean enough in the inside so that I can get some relief?

Curious as well to hear from any other allergy sufferers who cruise to alleviate allergy symptoms.

Tell me how you created your screen name, please. Do I know you? Are you a teacher?

(are we both members of the same small secret society? Sodales? Comites? Magistrae?)

Archived