Amtrak to/from Ft. Lauderdale from the Southeast

marybeach

Make sure you build some extra time into your schedule, when I was on Amtrak a rail got struck by lighting, 4 hours later we on are way, also fright trains seem to have priority over passenger trains.

The only time I took the Amtrak was when I was a poor college student going on Spring Break. Even by my very low standards back then, the train ride was hell. I will never, ever do it again.,

You bring to mind a bus trip from San Diego to San Francisco in the sixties:eek: We have picked people up and dropped people off at Amtrak in Durham, Florence and Savannah....the route from say Boston down to FLL would not be my choice to take Amtrak.

We did try to take Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver a few years ago and ended up on a bus due to track work!! One of these days I am going to give them a try:):)...but booking a roomette always ends up being about 3 X as much as flying and takes forever!

The HAL agent I spoke with yesterday suggested taking Amtrak from SC to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise. Has anyone had experience recently with that option? I'm ok with a hotel the night before the cruise, but can you make the departure on Amtrak at 9:20 am after debarkation? I've been reading the old posts, but I'd like to hear some up-to-date information.

In January of 2013 after leaving the ship in FTL. we would have not made the first train. We did however make the second train at 12:30. Several years ago at the same station we had tickets for the second train and did arrive at the station in time for the first train. I think things have slowed down so for our next sailing in April we will plan to stay over after the cruise and then take the first train up the next day.

As I looked at the Amtrak timetable it looks like the stop in Savannah gets in around 1:30 in the morning where the early train arrives around 7:30 p.m.We have taken the train on all of our cruises from Florida and have only been late no more than an hour either way. We do get a sleeper or roomette so have not have to deal with a dirty train so I can understand why one would not want to do that.

Whatever way you get to the port, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Carol

In my younger days, I took a bus tour around Europe for a couple weeks. We also did part of the tour on rail. I lived in DC and traveled by rail up to NYC and Boston several times, and that was an enjoyable way to travel in the 80's. So, I'm aware of the pitfalls. While I'd never take the bus from here for my perception of safety reasons, I'm a little more open to an experiment with Amtrak. My time is more flexible these days, but it always seems to be a "time vs. money, money vs. time" comparison, as I'm sure it is for most people.

We took Amtrak from Charlotte NC (we had to drive there from our town in SC) to Raleigh NC to Fort Lauderdale last year. I wrote about it in great detail on my blog: http://www.bcdenterprises.net/PCcruise/ - first 3 entries and last entry - if you want that much info. We did not take the train back because they changed the schedule during our (4-week) cruise and we missed the train (details in last entry).

My personal rule of thumb is to take coach on NE Corridor trains or trips under 5 hours. For trips exceeding 5 hours, especially on trips headed south, I want to be in business class or in a roomette for no other reason than to have a shot at a reasonably clean restroom (and the state of the restrooms isn't as much Amtrak's fault as it is the passengers' fault).

Not too long ago, I did some price comparisons.

We could fly three round trips in F for what it would cost to travel Amtrak in a suite.

Great thread here...and I start every once in a while thinking about a nice train trip on Amtrak...dh really wants to do one...and I start checking prices...having a roomette...or whatever it is with your own bathroom and I just cannot see spending that kind of money to travel by train....perhaps we will try Seattle to Vancouver again some day and luck out and get the train...or perhaps...just spend the big bucks and do a train tour in Canada...but Amtrak's prices are just out there...and I'm not traveling coach:eek:

Not too long ago, I did some price comparisons.

We could fly three round trips in F for what it would cost to travel Amtrak in a suite.

I did the same thing. I loved traveling on trains when I was young. My daughter hates to fly. So, when we were looking into how to get to Orlando for WDW and then cruise I checked out Amtrak. With two small children we would have to have roomettes. The cost for the five of us was a few dollars under $3000. Our direct flights (with the extra to reserve seats) on the plane was $1020. It was a no-brainer decision!

I'd also leave from Florence, if not Charleston. It's good to know about McCloud Security, if I'd be leaving my car there for 11-13 days.

The connections going North are pretty good as well - leaves FLO about 11:30 am arriving Baltimore about 9pm and Newark around 11pm and NYC an hour later. That train does have Business Class seats BTW.

We took Amtrak from Charlotte NC (we had to drive there from our town in SC) to Raleigh NC to Fort Lauderdale last year. I wrote about it in great detail on my blog: http://www.bcdenterprises.net/PCcruise/ - first 3 entries and last entry - if you want that much info. We did not take the train back because they changed the schedule during our (4-week) cruise and we missed the train (details in last entry).

Thanks for referring me to your blog. I enjoyed reading those entries. I'll catch up on the others later. You apparently enjoy adventures, and are able to "roll with the flow"! That's the way to go! You did give me food for thought. I guess until it's our day and time, no one knows what their personal experience will be. I'm glad you had so many nice people who helped you along the way. The world still has plenty of good folks!

or perhaps...just spend the big bucks and do a train tour in Canada...but Amtrak's prices are just out there...and I'm not traveling coach:eek:

After our Alaska cruise from Seward to Vancouver - we took the Rocky Mountineer from Vancouver to Jasper with an overnight in Kamaloop (sp?) then rented a car for a 3 day trip down the Ice Highway stopping at all the cool places (Lake Louise and Banff for example). Then flew home from Calguary. It was FABULOUSLY beautiful and relaxing.

:)excuse the spellings of some of the places - too lazy to go get the album to look the correct ones up:)

The summer before we got hooked on cruising we did a huge trip out west. Took Amtrak from Atlanta to New Orleans, spent a fun night in the Big Easy, then a 2 1/2 day train to Tucson in a bedroom compartment. Meals were all included and we had a toilet, sink and shower in our compartment. (arrival in Tucson was on time)

Then rented a car (put 2000 miles on it in 2 weeks) to tour all over Arizona, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Sedona etc .....

Took the train in reverse - Hehehehe ... we were 13 hours late into New Orlean due to a train wheel problem in Arizona which put us out of sync with the freight trains who have the right of way. We didn't care :) We had beds, food and a toilet/shower so we just enjoyed the extra train time. Amtrak rebooked our tickets into Atlanta so we got to spend an extra Big Easy night.

It was wonderful !!

After our Alaska cruise from Seward to Vancouver - we took the Rocky Mountineer from Vancouver to Jasper with an overnight in Kamaloop (sp?) then rented a car for a 3 day trip down the Ice Highway stopping at all the cool places (Lake Louise and Banff for example). Then flew home from Calguary. It was FABULOUSLY beautiful and relaxing.

:)excuse the spellings of some of the places - too lazy to go get the album to look the correct ones up:)

Looks to me like you did very well for a one time visitor to those places. You missed the s on the end of Kamloops and Calgary has no U, but your spelling certainly did not offend me. I've never been on the Rocky Mountaineer but have been on the VIA train several times between Jasper and Vancouver (Starting or ending in Toronto). That's a wonderful trip as well.

Roy

Thanks for info!...dh really does want to do a train trip in Canada...so maybe one of these days:)

Thanks for referring me to your blog. I enjoyed reading those entries. I'll catch up on the others later. You apparently enjoy adventures, and are able to "roll with the flow"! That's the way to go! You did give me food for thought. I guess until it's our day and time, no one knows what their personal experience will be. I'm glad you had so many nice people who helped you along the way. The world still has plenty of good folks!

Thank you for reading it - I'm glad you enjoyed and learned from it. I wrote that blog (it's more of a journal really) primarily for a number of people who had asked me so many questions about cruising - wanted to show them, hopefully make them feel they were "there". I recently went back and finalized some pages (who says I don't procrastinate with the best of them?! ;) ) and was actually surprised that I actually did "roll with the flow" when things popped up - I don't think of myself that way, but there it is. I think I've just learned over time that there are more successful and less successful ways of dealing with things!

... in a bedroom compartment. Meals were all included and we had a toilet, sink and shower in our compartment.

This is the one change we would definitely make - a bedroom rather than a roomette (meals are included with a roomette, too). The attendant showed us one and the additional space plus real bathroom (the one we saw was closed off from the rest of the room) would make a difference.

Looks to me like you did very well for a one time visitor to those places.

:) We have a fairly long "Bucket List" so each time we travel to a location we assume we won't be back there again and thus try to get the most out of each stop or port. Being as the airplane fare was big $$$ from the southeast US to Alaska/Canada we squeezed as much in as we could so we could cross that area off our "List" :D

And, Yes, we do sometimes return to a spot we've already explored (especially the Caribbean islands) - but it's a no pressure thing.

Great thread here...and I start every once in a while thinking about a nice train trip on Amtrak...dh really wants to do one...and I start checking prices...having a roomette...or whatever it is with your own bathroom and I just cannot see spending that kind of money to travel by train....perhaps we will try Seattle to Vancouver again some day and luck out and get the train...or perhaps...just spend the big bucks and do a train tour in Canada...but Amtrak's prices are just out there...and I'm not traveling coach:eek:

Once you compare prices, you'll keep thinking about it.

Holy moly! When I was a kid trains were how we got around the US and we took trips from a number of places to Michigan to visit my grandparents. Later on in life I really got into train travel in Europe in the 80's. A fabulous way to get around Europe. So for grins and giggles I just checked Amtrak from San Antonio to Ft Lauderdale....it might be fun given the right attitude. Well, it might be fun but it would take 81+ hours and cost more for a sleeper cabin that first class plane tickets. :eek: Heck, I could drive there quicker and cheaper! Kind of a shame because I still have fond memories of just sitting back and watching the countryside slip by.

Holy moly! When I was a kid trains were how we got around the US and we took trips from a number of places to Michigan to visit my grandparents. Later on in life I really got into train travel in Europe in the 80's. A fabulous way to get around Europe. So for grins and giggles I just checked Amtrak from San Antonio to Ft Lauderdale....it might be fun given the right attitude. Well, it might be fun but it would take 81+ hours and cost more for a sleeper cabin that first class plane tickets. :eek: Heck, I could drive there quicker and cheaper! Kind of a shame because I still have fond memories of just sitting back and watching the countryside slip by.

It's sad in a way...I can remember a trip from Oakland to Boston when I was in the 7th grade over Christmas, that was how you travelled with three kids, unless you drove..I just checked amtrak from San Diego to Vancouver tonight...DH really wants to do a train trip...close to a $1,000 and takes almost two days...I just cannot justify the time and cost in my mind!

We are considering Amtrak from Savannah to Miami for our cruise out of Miami. Can you give me more info on train ride itself, bathrooms , food, etc. Thank you, Sandra

I wrote about it in detail in my blog as mentioned in the post on the previous page (we went through Savannah):

Archived