Amtrak to/from Ft. Lauderdale from the Southeast

marybeach

The HAL agent I spoke with yesterday suggested taking Amtrak from SC to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise. Has anyone had experience recently with that option? I'm ok with a hotel the night before the cruise, but can you make the departure on Amtrak at 9:20 am after debarkation? I've been reading the old posts, but I'd like to hear some up-to-date information.

I have friends who drive to D.C. area from New Jersey. They put the car on auto train and ride to around Orlando and drive to FLL from there. They have done this for years and it works fine for them. They always have pre and post cruise hotel stays.

The HAL agent I spoke with yesterday suggested taking Amtrak from SC to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise. Has anyone had experience recently with that option? I'm ok with a hotel the night before the cruise, but can you make the departure on Amtrak at 9:20 am after debarkation? I've been reading the old posts, but I'd like to hear some up-to-date information.

You really need to stay over a day to get the 9:20 AM Amtrack train.

It is highly unlikely that you will not make even if you self-disembark from the ship.

Usually self-disembarkation begins around 7:30 IF everything has gone well and the ship has been cleared by the local authorities.

Last winter there were are a lot of problems with long lines to clear immigration and customs in the terminal. That could be a big tie-up.

I think 9:20 is cutting it a bit short if there are customs/immigration delays but it is likely doable. If you are planning on a sleeper there is very limited luggage space in the room so you would need to arrive at the station in time to check your big bags. I know the routes are a bit different but if the 12:30 train goes to your destination I would highly recommend that.

I think the Florida service is one of Amtrak's most delayed but if you go the day before you will be fine.

It's quite a short cab ride from the port to the Ft. Lauderdale station.

Roy

Last spring we took Amtrak from Savannah-Ft. Lauderdale and I DO NOT recommend it. It was a hellish day.

First of all it left Savannah 1.5 hours later than scheduled, the bathrooms were filthy (weren't cleaned the whole trip) and the trip took 12 hours....by the time we got to Ft. Lauderdale we were exhausted. If we ever have to make that trip again, we'll rent a car like we did the first time.

Considering the price quoted for a sleeping compartment for our route, we would have been smarter to fly. :D

Flying can be cheaper, but we love taking the train.

We've taken the train home from FL twice and really enjoyed it. We went the whole way to NYC and were on time both trips. Lucky, I guess, because the Silver Service does not have a great on-time record. The biggest delay was in getting our checked bags at NYC.

If you're going only part of the way and not traveling overnight, you might look at a roomette, which isn't nearly as expensive as a bedroom, but gives you a private compartment.

Considering the price quoted for a sleeping compartment for our route, we would have been smarter to fly. :D

Not everyone flies.

It's nice to have choices and not ALL decisions come down to money.

Some people still make a choice by preference and then by cost. Cost is not always the be all and only reason for a particular choice. Let's leave that option for those who want it.

Another Amtrak option that's not as costly as a sleeping compartment is to travel in Business class. Rarely children and quieter than coach.

When we go Amtrak we go out of Florence South Carolina which has free parking and the lot is patrolled by the McCloud Hospital security staff so it feels pretty safe to leave the car there.

We did an RCC cruise out of Baltimore using the train to get there - it was wayyyyy more relaxing than driving and you could check up to 3 bags each (not over 50 lbs each) :)

Last spring we took Amtrak from Savannah-Ft. Lauderdale and I DO NOT recommend it. It was a hellish day.

First of all it left Savannah 1.5 hours later than scheduled, the bathrooms were filthy (weren't cleaned the whole trip) and the trip took 12 hours....by the time we got to Ft. Lauderdale we were exhausted. If we ever have to make that trip again, we'll rent a car like we did the first time.

That sounds terrible!!

Another Amtrak option that's not as costly as a sleeping compartment is to travel in Business class. Rarely children and quieter than coach.

When we go Amtrak we go out of Florence South Carolina which has free parking and the lot is patrolled by the McCloud Hospital security staff so it feels pretty safe to leave the car there.

We did an RCC cruise out of Baltimore using the train to get there - it was wayyyyy more relaxing than driving and you could check up to 3 bags each (not over 50 lbs each) :)

A great option where it's available, but not offered on the Miami service. The trains are generally 2 class, economy and either sleeper or business but not both.

For the Veendam I'm using Business class for BWI to Boston and returning on Acela First Class. That option is frightfully expensive but they have a lounge in Boston for luggage storage until the train leaves, and with Amtrak's credit card the extra points required for AE 1st class is pretty reasonable.

Roy

Two summers ago, we rode Amtrak Accela from Boston to NYC, first class. There were only a few stops along the way, the train left and arrived within minutes of schedule in both directions, we were served breakfast/lunch as appropriate to our travel time and all in all it was a fine experience.

When we calculated cost, we spent about the same as flight would have been but we have far less hassle and inconvienece without the whole airport experience. It was also nice arriving and departing from Penn Station vs airports.

We would do it again.

You titled this Amtrak from the Southeast to FLL, but for most of the Southeast "you can't get there from here". Unless you live on the Atlantic Coast, it is very inconvenient to get to a train for most of us, although I would like to try it. Strictly by train from Atlanta you would have to ride to DC to get to the southbound. I don't remember the length of the trip, but it was very long. To drive to Savannah you have taken about 2/3 of the time to drive all the way to FLL. Then the train takes about as long as the drive would have!

Rich

Trains coming from the north all the way to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami will likely be behind schedule due to delays. But, northbound the train has just started off in Miami and not much chance for a delay. (And, they barely stop. Be ready to board! You will be on the move before you even have a chance to find your seat!)

We have taken the train from Deerfield Beach (approx. 25 miles north of Fort Lauderdale) to Kissimmee and back a couple of times. One thing we noticed is that the southbound train has been on the move for a long while and we have found it to be, let's say....., less than clean. The northbound train hasn't been on the road very long just starting out from Miami and everything is extremely clean. :D

Marybeach,

Do you mind if I ask why it is the HAL agent made suggestion for Amtrak. I'm curious how that would have come up in your conversation. Seeing, HAL handles air and sometimes bus, it seems unusual an HAL agent would discuss Amtrak.

Of course, if you don't wish to comment I fully understand. :)

I'm not sure I'd have the time or patience to travel Amtrak after a week of relaxation.

From FLL/Miami to Wisconsin....... I don't blame you. That's a Loooong train ride. Boston to New York City was about 3.5 hours if I remember correctly.

That sounds terrible!!

Thank you KK, it was beyond terrible, but live and learn! If it hadn't been filthy and if it hadn't been 1.5 hours late leaving, I'm sure we would have had a better experience. On our route the only choices were economy or sleeper for $300+extra.(I get it that for some $$ is no object) And the train still would have left late and still would have been dirty.

We have used Amtrak on the west coast (shorter trips though) with no complaints. I realize that some people are train people, I guess we are not-- at least for the longer trips. :)

A great option where it's available, but not offered on the Miami service. The trains are generally 2 class, economy and either sleeper or business but not both.

For the Veendam I'm using Business class for BWI to Boston and returning on Acela First Class. That option is frightfully expensive but they have a lounge in Boston for luggage storage until the train leaves, and with Amtrak's credit card the extra points required for AE 1st class is pretty reasonable.

Roy

You're right, they don't offer business class seating if they have sleeper cars.

But on the longer-haul trains, the coach seating is better than coach on the NE corridor. In the east, the long-haul coach seating is like Business class in the NE Corridor, with better legroom. We've taken the Adirondak (famous for being late!) to Montreal, and passengers who were going the full distance NYC to Montreal were put in specific cars, in order to make the border crossing easier. As I walked through the train, I noticed that we had what would be business class cars on the NE corridor, but we didn't pay a premium for them. People going a shorter distance were in regular coach cars.

Well, you must be near me on the SC Coast. I'd also leave from Florence, if not Charleston. It's good to know about McCloud Security, if I'd be leaving my car there for 11-13 days. My cousin is a nurse there!

Sail7Seas

We were discussing options. I'm doing a fall cruise on Carnival (for the first time) from Charleston with a group of friends as an end of summer break and we're driving to the port. I want to do the Panama Canal partial transit before the new Canal opens. We were chatting about that and he brought up Amtrak. Frankly, I'd kind of like to try the trip down, as I've never done it by rail. I may have to fly back. Wait, my car might be in FLO! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Marybeach.

Appreciate your response.

It just struck me as interesting given the cruise lines don't seem to book any train travel though they do air and bus, sometimes.

Hope your cruise (and train trip) are great. :)

The only time I took the Amtrak was when I was a poor college student going on Spring Break. Even by my very low standards back then, the train ride was hell. I will never, ever do it again.,

From what I understand, there is now an option on disembarkation that has an Amtrak time, just like flights. That's why I wanted updated experience from people who have tried that option. The threads I searched were a couple years old.

Archived