Alternative Take on Dress Codes

We are willing to comply with the dress code on the ship. However, I am surprised so many men are willing to pack a suit and tie for a vacation, even a cruise with European or Asian ports of call. My husband has a suit - for weddings and funerals. That doesn't mean he wears a ball cap or t-shirt in the dining room - ever. In fact, he has lovely old-fashioned manners and always removes his hat when going indoors!

And we would comply mainly because we prefer to dine in the main dining rooms.

I am curious - is there really such a demand for formal nights? Or is this just a hangover from the "grand old days"? If a ship has several dining rooms with fine table service, why not designate one for formal and the rest for resort or business casual? Just asking! I would be interested in your own take on this aspect of the topic.

I am curious - is there really such a demand for formal nights? Or is this just a hangover from the "grand old days"? If a ship has several dining rooms with fine table service, why not designate one for formal and the rest for resort or business casual? Just asking! I would be interested in your own take on this aspect of the topic.

My view of formal nights is that they are well supported. I haven't noticed any decline in the number of tuxes, suits, cocktail dresses and gowns. JMO.

As for separating the diners, it wouldn't work too well. The dining rooms/levels of the MDR are usually full. To get a split that would allow what you suggest would be impossible to achieve. Then what would you do about guests that wanted formal and that dining room was full, or vice versa? Tell them they couldn't dress formal? Just leave it alone, it works perfectly well as it is.

....As for separating the diners, it wouldn't work too well. The dining rooms/levels of the MDR are usually full. To get a split that would allow what you suggest would be impossible to achieve....

C'mon jbond, nothing is impossible if one really tries. ;)

Where would we be if the Wright brothers thought manned flight was impossible, or Henry Ford thought mass production was impossible, or Steve jobs thought a really smart phone was impossible to develop? Heck, what if Justin Bieber thought it was impossible to become a pop superstar from just posting a song on you tube!! (OK, Ok, that one I wish had been impossible:( )

I recall that post from the past. And when that person decides to start paying my cruise fare I may consider dressing to their liking for a few hours.

Good point, Ocean! I rememver looking at that post and thinking "WHA....?????!!!!"

Babyher....I think there are the zealots on both sides. One way or the other, no one is going to ruin my cruise by the way theu decide to dress in the MDR. I won't let them. No matter of their in a tacky tux, or a speedo, their mode of dress doesn't have one little bit of effect on my enjoyment.

PONCHO....good to see a Bengals fan on here. I've gone to a couple of their practices and watched Hard Knocks. They look really good. Gonna be a great season.

Dirty Dawg's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these b@stards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

The over seventy crowd loves to dress up . Why not give them a special section of their own . Then they can sit around and discuss how utterly appalling the rest of us look .

I'm not over 70, but I don't think they are much different from the rest of the cruisers when it comes to what they wear to dinner or the formal night. It seems like a good many feel "been there, done that" and no longer get dressed up. Some do, just as some do in all age groups. Some might enjoy discussing how "utterly appalling the rest of us look" but many of them look the "rest of us" just older. There are younger people who enjoy dressing up and some who don't. People are people.

Dirty Dawg's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these b@stards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

And we're just the guys to do it!

Nothing like a little Animal House to finally bring about some harmony.

I'd rather eat dinner with a psychotic dressed casually than a bore in a tux.

And we're just the guys to do it!

Nothing like a little Animal House to finally bring about some harmony.

And speaking of Animal House do you guys/gals think togas would be acceptable Formal night attire? Hey if the Scots can wear kilts why can't we Delta House riffraff wear togas?:D

Or do you think Dean Wormer would put us on double secret probation?

BTW, Thanks for the morning chuckle Paul. I hadn't thought of Animal House in years. It's a classic! Not quite Monty Python and the Holy Grail but still a classic.;)

BTW, Thanks for the morning chuckle Paul. I hadn't thought of Animal House in years. It's a classic! Not quite Monty Python and the Holy Grail but still a classic.;)

I don't think of Animal House often, either, but for some reason, when I read your post about the Wright Bros., etc., it made me think of Bluto's speech:

"Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"

This is not RCI's position. Check their website.

The websits states, for formal night, you will need suits & ties or tux for men. Cocktail dress for women.

I guess that "YOU WILL NEED," means required for the MDR on Formal night.

We're new to Rccl----coming from NCL, where resort casual is always acceptable. Their formal night was changed to Dress Up or Not Night. Surprisingly, many do dress up, especially women.

We are willing to comply with the dress code on the ship. However, I am surprised so many men are willing to pack a suit and tie for a vacation, even a cruise with European or Asian ports of call. My husband has a suit - for weddings and funerals. That doesn't mean he wears a ball cap or t-shirt in the dining room - ever. In fact, he has lovely old-fashioned manners and always removes his hat when going indoors!

And we would comply mainly because we prefer to dine in the main dining rooms.

May I ask what your husband does wear for formal night. We would like to do the whole formal thing as we have never cruised before and it just seems to be part of the whole experience. The problem is we are flying and my husband really does not fancy packing a suit due to the weight and creasing problems.

May I ask what your husband does wear for formal night. We would like to do the whole formal thing as we have never cruised before and it just seems to be part of the whole experience. The problem is we are flying and my husband really does not fancy packing a suit due to the weight and creasing problems.

You can rent it through RCI for less than $100 and they will have it in your room for you ready to go. :) That's what we're doing this time around. Dragging a suit or tux around in your luggage is a pain. You have to get it pressed and all.

Check out this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1897847

You can rent it through RCI for less than $100 and they will have it in your room for you ready to go. :) That's what we're doing this time around. Dragging a suit or tux around in your luggage is a pain. You have to get it pressed and all.

Check out this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1897847

Thanks, that certainly worth considering.

The websits states, for formal night, you will need suits & ties or tux for men. Cocktail dress for women.

I guess that "YOU WILL NEED," means required for the MDR on Formal night.

We're new to Rccl----coming from NCL, where resort casual is always acceptable. Their formal night was changed to Dress Up or Not Night. Surprisingly, many do dress up, especially women.

Barb....not sure where you're looking, but I've never seen anywhere that any of the RCCL ships state you NEED a Tux or Gown. As someone mentioned, they make money on pictures and tux rental, but that's about the extent of RCCL's desire to get you to dress up on formal nights.

Just coming from an NCL cruise, aside from my last Allure of the Seas cruise, the Breakaway was the most casually dressed cruise I've ever taken. I saw no tuxes or gown on the Breakaway in June. There were a couple of guys in suits, but mostly it was casual pants and polo shirts for the guys. And, sun dresses for the women on "dress up or not" night.

Since you're new to RCCL, you'll see all sorts of different modes of dress on their "formal nite". I saw a few tuxes and gowns, no more than a handful. There were a few more suits and dresses. But, the vast majority were for men, khaki pants and polo/button shirts and women in pants suits. And yes, there were some who were in shorts.

I suspect, given it's been over a year since I've sailed RCCL, that casual has become even more the norm.

That said, dress how you want. You won't be out of place. It's your vacation.

Good point, Ocean! I rememver looking at that post and thinking "WHA....?????!!!!"

Babyher....I think there are the zealots on both sides. One way or the other, no one is going to ruin my cruise by the way theu decide to dress in the MDR. I won't let them. No matter of their in a tacky tux, or a speedo, their mode of dress doesn't have one little bit of effect on my enjoyment.

PONCHO....good to see a Bengals fan on here. I've gone to a couple of their practices and watched Hard Knocks. They look really good. Gonna be a great season.

I couldn't agree more. As long as a person is nice and pleasent to chat with, and they don't stink to high heaven , Their clothing really does not matter to me.

Barb....not sure where you're looking, but I've never seen anywhere that any of the RCCL ships state you NEED a Tux or Gown. As someone mentioned, they make money on pictures and tux rental, but that's about the extent of RCCL's desire to get you to dress up on formal nights.

It does say that under the "What to Pack" section on the website. Of course, it also says that you will "need" some casual shorts and a couple t-shirts or a cover-up for getting to and from the pool area. So, if you go to and from the pool area, be sure you're dressed appropriate...or else....;)

And speaking of Animal House do you guys/gals think togas would be acceptable Formal night attire? Hey if the Scots can wear kilts why can't we Delta House riffraff wear togas?:D

Or do you think Dean Wormer would put us on double secret probation?

Not sure if they still do it now , but years ago , Sandals AI had a toga night. They even provided the sheets and accesseries . It was a lot of fun. :)

Not sure if they still do it now , but years ago , Sandals AI had a toga night. They even provided the sheets and accesseries . It was a lot of fun. :)

Wouldn't it be fun if cruise lines did that. It totally sounds like a lot of fun!! :)

Wouldn't it be fun if cruise lines did that. It totally sounds like a lot of fun!! :)

Oh I think it would be a blast . :)

When my daughter was in college they had a party where everyone had to wear an outfit only made out of that yellow crime scene tape *LOL*

Definately made for some interesting pictures :)

Of course they were all cute little co-eds and college jocks who could pull off a get up like that

Now that the official Royal Caribbean dress code/suggestion has been posted, I thought some would be interested in the issue of enforcement of the code. The code itself seems to be something many don't have a problem with (although some do), and many simply wish that it were consistently enforced. Others, of course, may be glad that it is not.

This is identified as a statement from the President and CEO of RCI International, Adam Goldstein, posted on the RCCL website's blog.

Enforcing the Dress Code in the Main Dining Room

I receive emails asking “why did you let so and so in the dining room with that on?” and other emails asking “why didn’t you let me in the dining room?” Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them. This area involves degrees of difficulty that can challenge us and create frustration for our guests. If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest. If the guest is already seated, it is more difficult to broach the subject with him/her.

Across the fleet we follow the formal night dress guidelines that are printed in the Cruise Compass. What we consider appropriate dress for formal nights has changed over the years due to style trends. For example, baseball caps and hats are not permitted at dinner, especially on formal nights. But on some itineraries we have a guest mix that prefers to wear cowboy hats when they dress up so we allow it. In addition, shipboard teams may struggle with enforcing the formal night dress code due to the itinerary, especially on days when we remain in port until late in the day as guests may have limited time to get back to their staterooms to dress up.

Please rest assured that we will continue to focus on the most appropriate way to enforce our dress code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/enforcing-the-dress-code-in-the-main-dining-room/

This is identified as a statement from the President and CEO of RCI, Adam Goldstein, posted on the RCI website's blog.

Enforcing the Dress Code in the Main Dining Room

I receive emails asking “why did you let so and so in the dining room with that on?” and other emails asking “why didn’t you let me in the dining room?” Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them. This area involves degrees of difficulty that can challenge us and create frustration for our guests. If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest. If the guest is already seated, it is more difficult to broach the subject with him/her.

Across the fleet we follow the formal night dress guidelines that are printed in the Cruise Compass. What we consider appropriate dress for formal nights has changed over the years due to style trends. For example, baseball caps and hats are not permitted at dinner, especially on formal nights. But on some itineraries we have a guest mix that prefers to wear cowboy hats when they dress up so we allow it. In addition, shipboard teams may struggle with enforcing the formal night dress code due to the itinerary, especially on days when we remain in port until late in the day as guests may have limited time to get back to their staterooms to dress up.

Please rest assured that we will continue to focus on the most appropriate way to enforce our dress code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/enforcing-the-dress-code-in-the-main-dining-room/

This is policy guidance that I refer to as "Rigidly Flexible" ;)

Having a C&A friend who never takes his cowboy hat off while cruising - sorry Cowboy :D - I kinda understand where Adam is coming from. Kinda like Bermuda shorts on runs to Bermuda as dress Bermuda shorts are the norm there. This is a never ending saga that many would like to go away - it never will.

Oh I think it would be a blast . :)

When my daughter was in college they had a party where everyone had to wear an outfit only made out of that yellow crime scene tape *LOL*

Definately made for some interesting pictures :)

Of course they were all cute little co-eds and college jocks who could pull off a get up like that

Those outfits can stay on the college campus thank you. No need to see that stuff on Royal or, God forbid, Celebrity or HAL.:eek:

The Toronto International Film Festival is showing a restored copy of The Big Chill in honour of its 30th anniversary. In honour if Animal House's 35th, reintroduction of toga parties on cruises sounds appropriate. Hey at least the threads coming out of those cruises will be a lot more interesting than these Dress Code threads.;)

Archived