Just off Independence, a few thoughts

Just returned from a fantastic two week cruise on Indy, and I have to say it was probably the best I have had on the ship. The ship has recently come out of refit, and looks stunning.

There was some maintenance going on which is always good to see, with workers from Bolidt on the ship to replace the rest of the decking which didn't get done in refit. As a result, a section aft on deck 12 was closed for half the cruise, but it didn't cause any problems, and really looks fantastic now. RCI always seem to do a good job of keeping their ships looking fresh.

The new venues looked good, although I didn't try Giovanni's Table since I wanted to try all the new menus. The outdoor movie screen was a very nice addition as well. For anyone wondering, they usually had the music channel on during the day, with a good few movies being played both during the day and at night.

This is the first time I have tried the new menus, and I was very impressed. Quality was good, and the choice seemed decent. It was nice having escargot available every night as well, since it's one of my favourite starters. Service in the MDR was the best and fastest I have ever experienced, with Brian and Augusto working hard to get everything done like a flash. Johnny Rockets was just as good as I remembered, with the same fantastic waiters as last year.

The cruise directors staff did a wonderful job keeping everyone entertained as well. I didn't go to any of the shows, since I have seen them twice before. It would have been nice to have some new ones. The headliner acts were very good however, and it was good to see Christopher Caress' hilarious hypnotism show again.

Something to note also, is that the Club 18-20's program is vastly improved on Indy. They have a dedicated member of the cruise director's staff organising activities, and instead of just a single meetup, there were a number of things each day, like quizzes, karaoke sessions, Wii tournaments, and even their own ice skating sessions. It really is a huge improvement from previous cruises, and my son said it was the best they have done yet. I don't know if this is the case on other ships, but if it isn't, RCI need to look at what they have done and roll it out fleet-wide.

The captain on the cruise was Teo Strazicic, and he is the funniest one I have ever seen. The interview with the excellent cruise director Joff Eaton was pretty insightful. It was interesting to hear how much he dislikes the idea of 'the stick' on Quantum, and how he would refuse to captain the ship if offered it. He said he sees Indy as 'his' ship, and that the vessel is his pinnacle. The Stars vs Stripes charade competition between ents staff and officers was absolutely hilarious as well. I will never forget the image of Captain Teo's attempt at miming the movie 'The Full Monty' on stage :P

So all in all, a wonderful cruise, which I really cannot think of any faults for. Anyone considering or already booked on Independence has nothing to worry about.

If anyone has any questions, I will try and answer :)

I'm in Bedforshire, just got up and read your review as we are on the 24th August sailing for two weeks, Spanish med, which I think is the same as you did.

Really can't wait. We started crushing with Thomson and then progressed to Ventura, we were going to stick with p and o as we had such a fab time last year but this time our DD14 is with us and RCCI seem to cater much better for teens and it was much better value for money.

I am so excited, we have an inside cabin only but plan to progress over the next few years. Were kids entertained well on board? Did you have MTD? We haven't seen any of the shows, we were thinking of going to the hypnotist - are the comedians any good we loved the side acts on Ventura rather than the theatre main ones. Xx

Ahh I see you did Ventura also, how does it compare?

I'm in Bedforshire, just got up and read your review as we are on the 24th August sailing for two weeks, Spanish med, which I think is the same as you did.

Really can't wait. We started crushing with Thomson and then progressed to Ventura, we were going to stick with p and o as we had such a fab time last year but this time our DD14 is with us and RCCI seem to cater much better for teens and it was much better value for money.

I am so excited, we have an inside cabin only but plan to progress over the next few years. Were kids entertained well on board? Did you have MTD? We haven't seen any of the shows, we were thinking of going to the hypnotist - are the comedians any good we loved the side acts on Ventura rather than the theatre main ones. Xx

Ahh I see you did Ventura also, how does it compare?

We had fixed dining, and were also in an inside cabin. The comedian who was onboard was good, I had seen him before on the ship. There are no 'side shows' for comedians like Ventura, only the main theater ones. There was a few tribute bands as well, the Beatles one was especially good.

Compared with Ventura, the ship obviously has more to offer in terms of 'fun' activities, and I prefer the open spaces and the larger pool deck on Independence. I think the choice of food is also better, since Indy has Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's for extra free food choices. The buffet on Independence is far superior. It is nearly twice as big, and the staff are very fast, unlike the useless ones in the Waterside on Ventura. Plus they have more free drink options, with flavoured water and lemonade instead of just plain water.

The kids club on Independence is just as good as that on P&O, and the kids onboard seemed to be enjoying themselves.

littlesteelo: Thank you for that wonderful report. We will be on her in 4 months, for New Year's Eve.

I.....................LOVE.................TEO!

With my luck, of course, he'll be on his vacation then....:(

CaptainTeoandI_zps9faa5b19.jpg

Thank you for your review. We have just had our first experience of cruising on Adventure and loved it so much we are considering Indy for next year. Good to here about 18-20 activities because our DD will be 18 next time.

littlesteelo: Thank you for that wonderful report. We will be on her in 4 months, for New Year's Eve.

I.....................LOVE.................TEO!

With my luck, of course, he'll be on his vacation then....:(

I think you might be in luck. Teo left for his 10 week vacation at the end of our cruise, which means he should be back for yours!

Thanks so much for your review of the Indy as we are sailing her in March of 14. I was wondering which kind of safes she has since the refit. The number ones or do you have to swipe a card. Thanks

They are number safes, always have been on Indy.

Thank you for posting your review. Will be on Indy March 29, 2014 and can't wait.

Did you use the luggage valet program and if so which airlines were included.

Thank you so much

Marcy

I live in the UK, so I didn't use the luggage program, but this link here tells you the airlines that are included: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

Littlesteelo - I was on the same cruise and absolutely agree with your comments. This was our first time on Indy and we loved her. We thought service and food in all venues was excellent with everyone of the crew being friendly and helpful. We particularly enjoyed the entertaintment. Anyone cruising on Indy should make sure they get to see the band 'Rock The Boat', and see both 'The Big Music Quiz' and 'The Quest' games which were hosted by the brilliant Joff Eaton and were hilarious. Also a must are the fantastic Ice Shows. Yes, unfortunately you get the sun bed hoggers and some rude guests, but look beyond the minority which you get everywhere, and you will love your cruise!

I have to agree on captain Teo, he's hilarious. On our Caribbean cruise he always ended his daily announcements with "I will now repeat this message in Spanish", followed by a woman reading the Spanish announcements.

On the last day's announcement he said "a bunch of you have said that you don't believe that I am doing the Spanish announcements, but I want to assure you that it really is me -- I just had a female Spanish teacher."

Hi,

Thanks for posting your review. I recently booked the six-night Western Caribbean cruise on this ship that departs on February 23, 2014. I have cruised aboard the Liberty of the Seas twice (December 2011 and February 2013) and really like this class of ship. The Independence of the Seas sounds like a great ship.

Chuck

Great review - thanks! We're also just off our 1st cruise on Adventure and have already booked Indy for next June. We've switched from MTD to Kate dining for this - are there many tables for 4 available?

Glad to hear about 18-20 activities. Our son who turned 18 in May had a blast on Adventure despite just 2 evenings of M&M sessions and surprised us by wanting to come with us again!

Another question - what is Sorrentos please?

Also how many formal nights/smart casual nights did you have? We love dressing up!

Hope we have the same Captain - he sounds do much fun! Struggled to understand or hear ours!

Many thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

...Another question - what is Sorrentos please?...

Sorrento's is primarily a pizza venue on the Promenade. No extra charge. They serve slices and will also make a full size pizza on request. They usually have salads too.

Ahh thanks for lovely review, am off on indy on 24th aug and cant wait this will be our(me and hubbys) 1st ever cruise and am sure we have picked one of the best to be our first, what sort of films do they have on the screen, are they up to date movies or like what sky have on? thanks blackcurrant xx

Another question - what is Sorrentos please?

Also how many formal nights/smart casual nights did you have? We love dressing up!

As others have mentioned, Sorrentos has pizza and antipasto. They also have a different custard/panna cotta type dessert every day (the caramel one is amazingly good).

They cafe promenade also has free pastries and sandwiches (they charge for the specialty drinks, but the food is free).

On the six night cruise the first night is casual, there are two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and one tropical/caribbean night. The specialty dining restaurants are always smart casual.

Archived