Solo dining on the Queen Mary 2

cricri7

Hi guys.....I am in the middle of the search for my next cruise and came upon the QM2 cruise of Canada-New England in September or October. I often cruise by myself and have absolutely no problems with it but while browsing the Cunard website, I read something that I am not so sure about. It was in the dining FAQ and it said that single diners can't come to the dining room before 6:30. It opens for everyone at 6 but if you are by yourself, you can't go before 6:30......has anyone had the experience of dining solo on that ship?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Hi guys.....I am in the middle of the search for my next cruise and came upon the QM2 cruise of Canada-New England in September or October. I often cruise by myself and have absolutely no problems with it but while browsing the Cunard website, I read something that I am not so sure about. It was in the dining FAQ and it said that single diners can't come to the dining room before 6:30. It opens for everyone at 6 but if you are by yourself, you can't go before 6:30......has anyone had the experience of dining solo on that ship?

Do you have a link for what you saw. It certainly does not jive with my QM2 experience.

Roy

I tried finding that exact question but be assured that your travel/marital status does not affect what time one comes to the dining room. If you picked up the question regarding "Single Seating" that refers to the restaurants for the more expensive staterooms (Grills and Britannia Club).

If you are booking a standard cabin for the Britannia, and you are in the first dinner seating, you will need to be there just after 6PM. The last dinner orders are taken at 6:30.

I found this on the website.....here it is.....I have to say that English is my second language so maybe I misunderstood the single seating meaning:(

Britannia Restaurant - Early sitting is at 6.00pm and late sitting is at 8.30pm.

Britannia Club - Single sitting dinner from 6.30pm-9pm

Princess Grill - Single sitting dinner from 6.30pm-9pm

Queens Grill - Single sitting dinner from 6.30pm-9pm

you may be referring to this

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/grills_dining

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dining_options

Guests in a Princess Grill suite dine in the Princess Grill restaurant and those in the Queens Grill suites dine in the Queens Grill restaurant. A single seating operation between 6.30pm and 9pm operates for these restaurants.

However in The Brittania Restaurant there are two dinning sittings

6.30pm and 8.30pm with table sizes from 2 to 10

If you opt for second sitting (8.30pm) you can ask for a Hosted Table where on formal nights an officer will join you and you get your wine bill paid by them!

Usually these are tables of 8.

Can I dine with an Officer?

You can request to dine with an Officer at the time of booking, however this is not guaranteed.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/times_dining

What size tables are available for dining?

You can choose a table for four, six or eight people. Tables for two or 10 are also available, however these are on a request only basis and due to a limited number, cannot be guaranteed.

If requesting a table for two or 10 people, please also choose an alterative table size which can be allocated to you should you be unfortunate in your request.

If your table size states "A" on your confirmation, then this means Any Size as a preference has not been noted.

The 'early' sitting of the evening meal ( Britannia) is 6/6.30pm

the 'main' sitting is 8.30/8.45pm. When you make your booking you will have to select one option of dining, but be advised tables for one ( solo dining) are at a premium so you may need to confirm this with the MD/head waiter first thing on embarkation ! (in the afternoon) well before the evening meals start.

Bell Boy :)

you may be referring to this

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/grills_dining

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dining_options

Guests in a Princess Grill suite dine in the Princess Grill restaurant and those in the Queens Grill suites dine in the Queens Grill restaurant. A single seating operation between 6.30pm and 9pm operates for these restaurants.

However in The Brittania Restaurant there are two dinning sittings

(Early) 6.00pm and (Late) 8.30pm with table sizes from 2 to 10

If you opt for second sitting (8.30pm) you can ask for a Hosted Table where on formal nights an officer will join you and you get your wine bill paid by them!

Usually these are tables of 8.

Can I dine with an Officer?

You can request to dine with an Officer at the time of booking, however this is not guaranteed.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/times_dining

What size tables are available for dining?

You can choose a table for four, six or eight people. Tables for two or 10 are also available, however these are on a request only basis and due to a limited number, cannot be guaranteed.

If requesting a table for two or 10 people, please also choose an alterative table size which can be allocated to you should you be unfortunate in your request.

If your table size states "A" on your confirmation, then this means Any Size as a preference has not been noted.

With apologies The Early Dining is 6pm in the Brittania Restaurant (not 6.30 as I originally said) unless your booking a Britannia Club Stateroom then you dine

in The Brittania Club section of the Brittania Restaurant and have single tables from 6.30pm to 9pm

Alternatively, you can choose any of the alternative dining venues where a small cover charge will apply.

I found this on the website.....here it is.....I have to say that English is my second language so maybe I misunderstood the single seating meaning:(

Britannia Restaurant - Early sitting is at 6.00pm and late sitting is at 8.30pm.

Think of your self as someone who is travelling 'solo' rather than single.

There are two sittings for the main Brittania restaurant. Groups, couples or solo travellers either take your seat at 6.00pm (first sitting) or take your seat at 8.30pm (second sitting).

Groups, couples or solo travellers in Queen's Grill, Princess Grill, or Britannia Club have a 'single' sitting. The 'single' refers to the fact that you can turn up and order any time between the wider window of 6.30pm and 9pm. There is no second sitting waiting for your table... its yours all night.

Brittania starts service earlier than the Grills / Brittania Club, simply to give themselves a half hour extra to squeeze two sittings in.

I guess that they don't expect the Grills / Brittania Club diners to want to eat that early !!!

I hope that this makes sense. The more I think about explaining it, the more confusing it sounds !

As the previous poster said, it does not refer to the passengers being single or married, but to people sitting down in the restaurant.

In Britannia, the first lot sits down at 6pm and the second lot sits at those same tables at 8.30. It is therefore a double sitting. They kick the first lot out (politely) in order to make up the tables for the second sitting.

In Club and Grills, there is only one lot of people at the table - a single lot, a single sitting.

Our booking had 6.30pm sitting. Britannia opens at 6pm and you have to be seated by 6.30pm in order to receive service.
I think it polite (and am sure you'll agree), when sharing a table, to try to be reasonably "on time" (say within 10 minutes of the restaurant opening).

I shared a table on one cruise with one couple :mad: who constantly and consistently arrived just in the nick of time as "last orders" were being taken... each night the rest of us began to think that they must be dining elsewhere.

We told our stewards to wait to take the orders until they arrived, out of politeness, on the first few occasions.

It drove me and the other people around the table nuts :mad: .

And don't think for one moment that I neglected to tell my parents off every night :D .

On my November/December cruise last year, everyone started arriving later and later. I would arrive at the table at 6:15 and be first there! It was safe to slip in just before 6:30 and know that orders had not yet been taken. I found myself getting progressively later and later. It was a huge culture shock on my next cruise to find everyone there dead on time. I could not get myself organised (without stressing myself out too much) so compromised by arriving in my own time and just doing without the first course so I didn't hold anyone up.

Sailaways are usually around 6pm and I love a good sailaway party.

Fortunately most of our table did too so no one was inconvenienced.

This time I've booked late sitting so I'll be ready for some dinner.

As a solo/single cruiser I'd strongly suggest a table for 8. That way you get a good mix of people at your table.

Depending on your age:

First sitting is better if you are in the older age group

Second sitting is a little younger 30s +

Part of the reason I don't book Grills is because of the one sitting dinner. You could end up eating at a larger table by yourself.

I'd feel weird doing that. Experienced that in London where I had a large table to myself for breakfast surrounded by 3 staff. Granted, they waited on me hand and foot, but I felt weird about it. Possibly because I felt they were judging my table manners!

As a solo/single cruiser I'd strongly suggest a table for 8. That way you get a good mix of people at your table.

Depending on your age:

First sitting is better if you are in the older age group

Second sitting is a little younger 30s +

Part of the reason I don't book Grills is because of the one sitting dinner. You could end up eating at a larger table by yourself.

I'd feel weird doing that. Experienced that in London where I had a large table to myself for breakfast surrounded by 3 staff. Granted, they waited on me hand and foot, but I felt weird about it. Possibly because I felt they were judging my table manners!

Looking at you with their 'Judge Judy' eyes! :D

Don't let the single seating arrangement put you off the Grills, tables usually have a way of turning up at the same time - in my experience because someone usually suggests an agreed timeframe - and you'll find that most turn around about that agreed time.

I was seated at a table for 8 and it turned out I was the only diner. A very nice passenger invited me to join her and her daughter but I declined. I actually liked having the waiter spoil me. Plus, every evening there was a classical concert in Illuminations which started during the late seating so I was able to get my order in and the waiter worked with me to have me out in time for the concert. I had plenty of other opportunities to socialize so I wasn't at all put off by this set-up, especially since it didn't lead to any awkward early departures from the dinner table.

Archived