Freedom of the Seas boxing ring?

taxgal

Can anyone shed light of the 'full size boxing ring' on FOS?

I really can see my DH [a retired Marine :D] getting himself in trouble here.

Of course, if he was in the ring with one of the Bickersons, it might not be that bad. :rolleyes:;)

This from the RCI blog ...

Freedom of the Seas offers a boxing ring for passengers to use inside their massive gym. Here you can take boxing lessons, which can be a fun workout. Passengers can take individual or group boxing lessons for an additional cost.

There's also a heavy bag in the gym. Not sure if they provide or rent gloves for it though but it's no extra charge to whack it at will.

I've never sailed the Freedom, but I never understood the boxing ring either. What's the point? The only thing that would be mildly entertaining is if they allowed you to spar against other passengers, which I'm going to guess is off-limits. They should take it out and make better use of the space.

I was on the FOS week of 28th.

They had boxing based fitness classes each sea day at 9AM. Actually very fun and a great workout. Tip if you decide you want to try once don't do first sea day, we had 12 people in that class. The 2nd and 3rd sea days only 4 in each so more individual attention. About 45 minutes long.

Aside from that time I didn't see anyone in the boxing ring. There are two heavy bags next to it and I did see those being used quite often.

So yes mostly a novelty, but there is opportunity to use if you choose.

I would attend the class and use the bags!

I was on the FOS week of 28th.

They had boxing based fitness classes each sea day at 9AM. Actually very fun and a great workout. Tip if you decide you want to try once don't do first sea day, we had 12 people in that class. The 2nd and 3rd sea days only 4 in each so more individual attention. About 45 minutes long.

Aside from that time I didn't see anyone in the boxing ring. There are two heavy bags next to it and I did see those being used quite often.

So yes mostly a novelty, but there is opportunity to use if you choose.

I think I read somewhere where they allowed "open" boxing at one time but it got out of control, thus the reason for boxing lessons only. I saw one guy use it for a place to jump rope but that's about it.

Eric

Pool lounger hog death match! :D

185248_10150348916921729_20531316728_9500420_1221014_n1-300x233.jpg

Actually, my daughter does this kind of workout on a regular basis.

Now, if only Mom would take her on the Freedom........................

(too bad we are on the Oasis in August and the Independence in December. Poor girl. :D)

I was sucker punched in the ring......and am still mad about it!

I hit the deck unlike no other!

Still talkin funny.

Friends now call me Rocky...SOOOOO annoying!

Adrian....Adrian....ya, right....ha ha ! Very funny, guys.

Keepin up with the punching bag routine at home for next time, but it's just not the same.

It's my footing.....I know it is! You know, I GOT IT on land, but when the ship's a rockin.......totally throws me off.

I hate that!

DON'T YOU HAAATE THAT!?

me too.

I used it on the Freedom last fall, as that is the type of workout I do at home too. There were 7 people for the first class, 3 for the second, and I ended up with a private lesson for the final class.:) The rocking of the ship did throw me off a bit, but made it more challenging too. They do lend you gloves, but I'd be tempted to take my own next time. They were a bit smelly, and gross, but hey, what doesn't kill ya......:D

Archived