"Suite" passengers anecdotes...

Cashew14

After years of dealing with very senior executives and lawyers my experience is that the more senior the more modest and down to earth they are.

It's the ones who have not made it and who are hung up on aspirational goals who are the ones that like to impress folks in any way they can.

Even non-suite people have this. Last week at work, I had this couple (you know them, she's married to him for the money and you can def. feel it) on my flight who asked me if their bags would be ok at least 7 times.
"Because we are going on a cruise. And they can not deliver bags while we are on our cruise in the middle of the ocean. And a 7 day cruise without bags is a long time. Bluh bluh bluh..." You get it, she mentioned they were going on a cruise at least in half the sentences...

I simply asked her if it was the first cruise she was taking and she said yes. I then told her a 3 week cruise is even better and specially a balcony cabin. She didn't say a word after that :D
I can not stand people who feel (or at least think) they're better than anyone else. And I agree with iancal. The real class people often have made a good carreer while those thinking they're a whole lot are either stinky rich or have got a decent job where they still need to listen to other people, but forget to mention it.

[quote name='iancal']After years of dealing with very senior executives and lawyers my experience is that the more senior the more modest and down to earth they are.

It's the ones who have not made it and who are hung up on aspirational goals who are the ones that like to impress folks in any way they can.[/QUOTE]

For the most part, this is true. There are some high level folks I have met who still are "hung up" on showing off, but most do not try to impress.

DaveOKC

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]You will NEVER hear a Suite Passenger refer to a passenger in a lower category as "Steerage!" It is almost always those who choose to cruise in a lower category wwhen referring to themselves and setting the difference between , "Us and Them"

[SIZE=4]I[SIZE=4] find the term steerage to be a derogatory term and do not refer to anyone as steerage passengers.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well said, Joanie! The way I look at it is this: anyone who can afford a cruise in ANY category is far, far away from STEERAGE!

As to bad behavior, the only time I experienced it from a Neptune Suite passenger was actually in the Neptune Lounge when dealing with the concierge! Boy, was she rude and demanding!!!

We had fixed dining and there were two other couples assigned to our table. One couple was in the penthouse suite. At the end of the cruise he reminded us to go down and make sure our tips were removed from our account for the week and then you can save a lot of money. Since the PH suite couple was the age of our parents we just smiled and said thank you for the information. After the meal was over we proceeded to tip our cabin steward and waiters extra on top of our regular tips.

[quote name='matondo']We had fixed dining and there were two other couples assigned to our table. One couple was in the penthouse suite. At the end of the cruise he reminded us to go down and make sure our tips were removed from our account for the week and then you can save a lot of money. Since the PH suite couple was the age of our parents we just smiled and said thank you for the information. After the meal was over we proceeded to tip our cabin steward and waiters extra on top of our regular tips.[/quote]

[B] It saddens me to read this.
[/B]

[quote name='matondo']We had fixed dining and there were two other couples assigned to our table. One couple was in the penthouse suite. At the end of the cruise he reminded us to go down and make sure our tips were removed from our account for the week and then you can save a lot of money. Since the PH suite couple was the age of our parents we just smiled and said thank you for the information. After the meal was over we proceeded to tip our cabin steward and waiters extra on top of our regular tips.[/QUOTE]

If I were ver to be lucky enough to get the Penthouse suite, I would certainly tip ALOT extra - as they room steward alone has ALOT more work to do in that suite.

When I am in a Neptune suite, I tip extra for the same reason. Maybe this is dumb, but I feel it is the right thing to do.

DaveOKC

[quote]
If I were ver to be lucky enough to get the Penthouse suite, I would certainly tip ALOT extra - as they room steward alone has ALOT more work to do in that suite.

When I am in a Neptune suite, I tip extra for the same reason. Maybe this is dumb, but I feel it is the right thing to do.

DaveOKC
[/quote]

[B]Dave,
Of course, it isn't dumb. We all know that is the right thing to do.
Whether everyone does it is another story. :rolleyes:

[/B]

[quote name='matondo']We had fixed dining and there were two other couples assigned to our table. One couple was in the penthouse suite. At the end of the cruise he reminded us to go down and make sure our tips were removed from our account for the week and then you can save a lot of money. Since the PH suite couple was the age of our parents we just smiled and said thank you for the information. [/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue and let that statement go. I would say something that let him know I would never stiff the staff that works so hard to make my cruise enjoyable.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SeagoingMom'][COLOR=DarkRed]But not so embarrassed as to: 1. not identify yourselves as suite passengers, nor 2. decline to follow. [/COLOR]:rolleyes:

[COLOR=DarkRed]I do not feel any embarrassment when I participate in benefits to which I am entitled.[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkRed]I enjoy and am thankful for that which is included in the price I paid for my cruise.[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkRed]I expect others to do the same, with neither conceit nor embarrassment.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I agree. You have paid for the perks and should not be embarrassed to use them. I have walked to the front of a very long line of coach passengers to board an airplane because that comes with the price of a busines class ticket. No need to be rude but not necessary to forgo a perk for which you have paid.
Celebrity saves seats at the shows for suite passengers. I use them. They come with the suite.

[quote name='gabbyisadog']I agree. You have paid for the perks and should not be embarrassed to use them. I have walked to the front of a very long line of coach passengers to board an airplane because that comes with the price of a busines class ticket. No need to be rude but not necessary to forgo a perk for which you have paid.
Celebrity saves seats at the shows for suite passengers. I use them. They come with the suite.[/QUOTE]

Agree - basically you paid for the "perks" one way or the other, so you should use them.

Then again, you have to show some class when doing so.

DaveOKC

We used to do the same....at airports and in certain hotel chains. Did not bother us at all. Most of them had a separate desk for frequent flyers, frequent sleepers. It was a small perk for the hours spent on airplanes and the many nights spent in business hotels away from home.

A suite is never a single room. It is correctly a suite of rooms so should at the very least have a separate bedroom from the living area. It annoys me when hotels and cruise lines use the term incorrectly. HAL has been even worse in the past by calling some types of rooms suites, but then noit giving them suite amenities. How you can offer benefits to suite passengers, then call a cabin a suite but not entitled to these benefits is not at all good marketing.

I've travelled in just about everything. If its a little two nighter like the QM2 I'm doing in March then inside is fine. If its a bit longer but cooler weather like my Pacific Pearl in Apr then an outside. If its a longer cruise in warmer seaoson then its a balcony, minisuite or suite depending on how good the specials are and how much is left in the wallet that week. It doesn't really matter. We all go to the same MDR and drink in the same bars (with a few exceptions. Don't think I'll ever see Princess Grill on QM2) and I've never been embarrassed about the cabin I'm in. But if I do pay more for something that gets me additional perks then I have no qualms about taking advantage of them. Certainly being able to cut half an hour of queueing off due to Priority Embarkation is one I can never get enough of, but there's always a special gate or line. The concept of charging past others shouting and waving should never occur.

[quote name='Gerko']The concept of charging past others shouting and waving should never occur.[/quote]

But then, no one will know how important you are.

It amazes me the extend some will go to just to get attention. Knew a guy once who would call a night spot and have himself paged just to hear his name.