Delta Changing Departure & Return Flights!

FPJC03

We have a Mariner Cruise set for 10/24-31 and were going to spend 2 nites in Nice and had to leave right away on 10-31 from Venice.

Now Delta cancelled our return flight that had only 1 stop, pushed us back to 11-1 and put us on Lufthansa with 2 stops in Frankfort and JFK before arriving in Cleveland.

Then they moved UP our departing flight from JFK to Nice 2 hours and changed our flight from Cleveland from 5pm to 11:30am. Now we have a SIX HOUR layover in JFK in NYC.

Plus we initially paid the air deviation to get on Delta since they were the only ones with a ONE STOP service from Cleveland to/from both NICE and VENICE.

Since it is NOT Regents fault, the air dept won't help, but our TA split the cost of one night post in Venice. That is the only good news.

Now hoping that the cruise is as wonderful as most people say, because we will be a cranky couple arriving in Nice....

Try not to let Delta's changes affect your cruise. Airlines seem to be making more and more money and giving less service and very poor routing options. As long as they are filling their flights, they do not seem to care what difficulties they put their customers through. That was very kind of your TA to split the cost of one night's stay.

You are going to Venice at a wonderful time of the year. One thing to be happy about is that you are not there now. According to a tour guide we had in Venice last year, August is "hell" - both from the crowds and weather perspective.

When you get onboard, have your welcome glass of champagne, take a deep breath (after you swallow:-) and enjoy every moment of your cruise:)

That doesn't sound right to me. I had a similar situation where there was a strike on a deviated flight. Regent very nicely changed my flights for me to one more suitable. My travel agent worked with them to get the flight changed. Unless there are no other options, I would talk to the Air Concierge again.

I am a Million Miler on Delta and I am very familiar with their procedures.

If Delta changes your itinerary you can make a change of your own at no charge. Call them directly and see if there are flights more to your liking.

I have had this happen many times -- schedules and aircrafts always change. In fact, I am flying out to Istanbul tonight on a "changed" schedule. It's to be expected, especially when you book early.

I was going to comment on our situation but I realized we are using United and not Delta. Seems like all the airlines make changes to their schedules. I only wish they would tell us. I just happened to find out about the change when I was looking for flights.

Eileen

I am not sure what your original connection was in JFK but would tell you that six hours is preferable over say a two hour connection. You just never know about flight delays that could cause you to miss the connecting flight or your luggage not making it on your flight.

Eileen, yes most airlines make changes to flights and either don't immediately let you know via e-mail or they don't let you know period.

Keith

Was thinking of the best way to enjoy the SIX HOUR layover in JFK. Delta won't give me any perks but I did inquire about a one day pass for the Sky Club Lounge at JFK. It is $50 pp, but you have to buy one for each person, can't take spouse as guest like a regular member. So for $100 we can sample their appetizers and drinks. Anybody been in this lounge and is it worth it to relax and be away from the crowds? Heard that JFK airport has been remodeled and is much nicer. COMMENTS and RECOMMENDATIONS appreciated.

If you use Regent air and upgrade to Biz you both get in lounge free. Otherwise, the $100 might be a good idea for 6 hours. Another poster was right: you DO NOT want tight connections - too much stress!

I have to fly international for work often. The JFK international sky lounge is very nice. It has an outdoor space which is very cool. I never use the showers after long international flight but did at JKF. Was there opening weekend. The shower alone is worth $20 of the $50 bucks. Very nice showers, they give you all the toiletries you need. You will feel refreshed. Delta has downgraded their quality of free liquor but not bad. Snacks are free as well. You can pick up free newspapers, wireless internet, etc. Wish you had a plat amex or above then it would be free. If you have Delta amex it would be $25 a person. I am a member of sky club, wish I was there and would let you come in with me. If you meet someone on the flight that has membership, they can get you in free. Up to 3 or 4 people. The other poster is right, most cruise business class fares will get you in free. There are a few class of business class fare they book that will not get you in the club free. I would contact Delta or Regents. Looks like one of them would get you in sky club or atleast discount rate. If not, drink $100 worth!!!!!!!!

We just returned from Venice through JFK and we had a 90-minute connection. We told Delta and Regent both that this didn't sound feasible, and of course, we were right. Even though our connection was delayed 20 minutes, we weren't even close to making it. I think international arrivals in JFK or ATL should have a MINIMUM of 2-3 hours.

And on our flight to Istanbul and our return, we had use of Delta's lounges. Biz class should get you in no problem. Agree with the others - deep breath, cold drink of your choice, and just let it roll off of you...

I am impressed with Regent. I had a friend that tried to get in the American lounge and was in business class with another cruise line. American said it was a rate that did not get him in the lounge. Great News they always let you in lounge with any business class seat with Regent.

I am impressed with Regent. I had a friend that tried to get in the American lounge and was in business class with another cruise line. American said it was a rate that did not get him in the lounge. Great News they always let you in lounge with any business class seat with Regent.

I had that happen to me on American - on a Regent Cruise. Delta, AF, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss always ok in the lounges.

Agree with the others - deep breath, cold drink of your choice, and just let it roll off of you...

This is just the best advice, 'cause you never know when and IF there will be a problem....might as well be prepared to deal with it and not let it ruin the vacation. Nothing you can do to change it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

My TA split the cost of Westin Europa in Venice for overnight. Then I found out about the 6 hour layover at JFK, so bought a one-day pass for Delta Skyclub. Now we can relax, have some food and drink and check emails and call relatives and friends before out trip. As most of you said, you can't control air sched changes, so make the best of the time. Only 48 days to go before our cruise from Monte Carlo.

My TA split the cost of Westin Europa in Venice for overnight. .

Your are in for a treat. Make sure you book the water taxi early to get to the airport. The concierge there is delightful. Great hotel and location. Also, have a drink at the bar on the patio.

If your room doesn't not include breakfast, you can order ala carte and eat from the buffet. It's about 50Euros pp for the breakfast there. They don't tell you that. The pastries are fabulous.

I had that happen to me on American - on a Regent Cruise. Delta, AF, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss always ok in the lounges.

As long as you have an international business class flight on the same day you should be fine with getting into the AA Admirals Club lounges, their rules only require that you are traveling in the business class cabin, they are not affected by fare types.

Flying in business on a 3 class domestic flight (or first on a 2 class flight) without a same day international flight the rules are very different and there are fare classes that do not qualify for lounge access.

Certainly wouldn't be the first time an AA lounge guardian has got the rules wrong though ...

EC Regulation 261/2004, effective on 18 February 2005 is an EU Regulation establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding, flight cancellations, or long delays of flights. Google EC Regulation 261/2004 and check recent articles on this subject from consumer advocates. I think you may be due some significant compensation, particularly for the return flight from Venice.

Archived