Disney new smoking policy

Calker

And I have almost vomited being stuck in an elevator with someone who has body odor, or uses too much perfume or cologne....or all the dirty diapers on the kids on Disney........

Just because you don't LIKE the smell, doesn't mean the person should be outcast. Should everyone be cleaner, or try harder to not smell offensive? Yes. But that's not going to happen.

I wasn't aware that the Surgeon General has now determined that "second hand body odor and dirty diaper smells" now present a health risk! :D

And I have almost vomited being stuck in an elevator with someone who has body odor, or uses too much perfume or cologne....or all the dirty diapers on the kids on Disney........

Just because you don't LIKE the smell, doesn't mean the person should be outcast. Should everyone be cleaner, or try harder to not smell offensive? Yes. But that's not going to happen.

I speak with actions. I shower daily--even more if needed. I don't use perfumes or colognes. No kids in diapers, and when I had one, I changed him instead of letting him fester in feces.

The thing is that regardless of how nasty those other things are, the cause doesn't create health risks to those who choose not to be out at risk like smoking does. By the way, I smell right now. I ran two miles and spent an hour lifting weights, and need to shower. I'd say the cause of my smell was HEALTHY, and certainly did nothing to cause health risks to others.

I just think it's funny that when Disney had given whatever notice it was, 90 days or whatever, before they were going to change the rules to not allow people to carry on their own alcohol, everyone went CRAZY! They were OUTRAGED that they weren't given more notice and that Disney would do such a thing.

Now that it's smoking, no one seems to feel so outraged about the short notice.

That tells me that even Disney cruisers must really like their booze.....and yet Disney cruisers think only Carnival cruisers are boozers. :cool:

Not 90 days, only two weeks. That meant that many couldn't cancel. In this case, it was well past the 90 day cancellation point, so anyone not happy with the policy is free to cancel without penalty.

Not 90 days, only two weeks. That meant that many couldn't cancel. In this case, it was well past the 90 day cancellation point, so anyone not happy with the policy is free to cancel without penalty.

I guess I don't understand what smokers would complain about. They are still allowed to smoke, just not in the cabin or on the balcony. They have a place assigned, just like most work locations do, where they can smoke all they want, a location with less effect to others. I personally can't handle the smoke and if it were up to me, smoking would not be allowed at all. So I guess on the bright side, be happy that I don't run DCL! :D

I wasn't aware that the Surgeon General has now determined that "second hand body odor and dirty diaper smells" now present a health risk! :D

I was specifically responding to Ducklite, who was complaining about the STENCH......not the health hazards. But thanks for reading carefully and understanding the topic.:rolleyes:

I speak with actions. I shower daily--even more if needed. I don't use perfumes or colognes. No kids in diapers, and when I had one, I changed him instead of letting him fester in feces.

The thing is that regardless of how nasty those other things are, the cause doesn't create health risks to those who choose not to be out at risk like smoking does. By the way, I smell right now. I ran two miles and spent an hour lifting weights, and need to shower. I'd say the cause of my smell was HEALTHY, and certainly did nothing to cause health risks to others.

Before, you were simply concerned with how rotten someone smells if they sit next to you in a theater...or whatever.

NOW you've added the health issue....except your flaw is that you're not going to get cancer because someone stands next to you for a limited amount of time and they smell like smoke.

Direct, extended inhalation of second hand smoke, yes, that's a problem. But I seriously doubt you'd sit still long enough for even that to happen.

Whatever......I don't even understand why this is still being debated.

Disney can and did change the rule, smokers will abide by it, non-smokers will now complain MISERABLY about the added amount of smoke on the outside decks......and life will go on as usual.

I am curous, though. You have a grand total of TWO Disney cruises listed on your profile.....why do you care?

Before, you were simply concerned with how rotten someone smells if they sit next to you in a theater...or whatever.

NOW you've added the health issue....except your flaw is that you're not going to get cancer because someone stands next to you for a limited amount of time and they smell like smoke.

Direct, extended inhalation of second hand smoke, yes, that's a problem. But I seriously doubt you'd sit still long enough for even that to happen.

Whatever......I don't even understand why this is still being debated.

Disney can and did change the rule, smokers will abide by it, non-smokers will now complain MISERABLY about the added amount of smoke on the outside decks......and life will go on as usual.

I am curous, though. You have a grand total of TWO Disney cruises listed on your profile.....why do you care?

And you have none, so why do you care?

My 13 Disney cruises, all in suites, and my daughter's wedding on Castaway Cay aren't listed. None of my prior cruises are listed. Over 20 in ten years....too many to list.

I'm not sure what the number of cruises I've had on DCL (all in suites as well) have to do with this topic. Sorry you keep taking the same cruise over and over instead of seeing the rest of the world.

Smoking is an offensive, unsanitary practice that exposes people to carcinogens and the environment to pollution. DCL is taking a proactive position that more closely mirrors their resort policies of having designated smoking areas in places that those who choose to not be exposed to it won't be. They aren't prohibiting it entirely. If the minimal number of smokers have a problem with it, they are welcome to cancel their cruise and take their business elsewhere--although this policy mimics the policy of almost all lines. Trust me, with CCL and DCL having this type of policy, RCCL is right behind.

Many smokers said that land-based Disney hotels would see a significant decline in bookings when they instituted the new smoking policies there a number of years ago. Not only did that turn out to be a pipe dream on the part of the smokers, but bookings are up.

I could have sworn that I read that it is not allowed on balconies on CCL. Either way, with Princess and Cunard now prohibiting it, the mainstream CCL lines aren't far behind.

Carnival Cruise Lines still allows balcony smoking - you're right, some of the Carnival Corp lines do not allow it (Princess) or will soon not allow it (P&O, Cunard).

Carnival Cruise Lines still allows balcony smoking - you're right, some of the Carnival Corp lines do not allow it (Princess) or will soon not allow it (P&O, Cunard).

I found it--it's the Spa cabins that don't allow it. So I was half right. :)

I found it--it's the Spa cabins that don't allow it. So I was half right. :)

Well, maybe not "half" right since the Spa cabins are only on a small percentage of the total CCL fleet. You do get some points though regardless. ;)

I'm not sure what the number of cruises I've had on DCL (all in suites as well) have to do with this topic. Sorry you keep taking the same cruise over and over instead of seeing the rest of the world.

Trust me, with CCL and DCL having this type of policy, RCCL is right behind.

Carnival and Norwegian still allow it.

And do you seriously want me to list all of the places in the world that I've traveled to? :confused: You have NO idea. 20+ cruises in just the past 10 years, with multiple land-based trips tossed in a couple times a year. And not in the U.S....I saw all of that when I was younger. Whatever.

The only reason I mentioned your two cruises on DCL that you have listed is that it doesn't seem as though you are a "repeat" cruiser with them, as I used to be, so I wondered why the topic was so important to you.

Well, maybe not "half" right since the Spa cabins are only on a small percentage of the total CCL fleet. You do get some points though regardless. ;)

I'm from Arizona, too.....hot enough for you today?? Wish I was far, far away on the water right now!!:)

Carnival and Norwegian still allow it.

And do you seriously want me to list all of the places in the world that I've traveled to? :confused: You have NO idea. 20+ cruises in just the past 10 years, with multiple land-based trips tossed in a couple times a year. And not in the U.S....I saw all of that when I was younger. Whatever.

The only reason I mentioned your two cruises on DCL that you have listed is that it doesn't seem as though you are a "repeat" cruiser with them, as I used to be, so I wondered why the topic was so important to you.

Because I might cruise with them again in the future. I'm not sure why that is so difficult to understand...

I'm from Arizona, too.....hot enough for you today?? Wish I was far, far away on the water right now!!:)

OMG! It's like 109 right now, the humidity is creeping up and there's storms brewing to the East but I'm sure we won't see any rain. :mad: I'm with you on the far, far away notion!

OMG! It's like 109 right now, the humidity is creeping up and there's storms brewing to the East but I'm sure we won't see any rain. :mad: I'm with you on the far, far away notion!

I'm in Cave Creek and it was even 110 up here...usually we're a good 5-8 degrees cooler than Phoenix. It looked like rain in the mountains behind the house, but I see it's blown off. UGH. I was going to go outside and dance in it!!:D

No, I don't. The decks are all accessible and it is no different for a person in a wheelchair to get to the smoking area than an able bodied person. If they want, take the granddaughter along for some "quality time" during the smoke break.

For someone who seems to have such an opinionated view on everything let me set the record straight on this occasion. We do not, have not or wish to, smoke in her presence or that of any non smoker. In actual fact that is another reason we chose to book a balcony, so she nor anyone else would have to enjoy the "quality time" you so sarcastically refer to.

And in reply to some of the other opinions you have posted elsewhere about how if you were us you would cancel and use our unrefundable airfare on a nice resort location in the area. We have been to Barcelona, and although it is a very nice city we have no wish to spend our entire vacation there or in the surrounding area. Can't see our granddaughter enjoying 'quality time' in a city, don't really want to drag her round wine bars and cafes, a beach is not an option with a wheelchair and, as we live on the coast she can see the sea from her lounge window everyday of her life so not much point in that either. We booked this cruise because at the time of booking it suited all our needs, she would get the Disney experience, and we would when we wanted enjoy or cigarette on our balcony not be forced to go up on deck when my husband did not feel like it. The ship may be accessible throughout for the wheelchair but that does not necessarily mean it is easily accessible and as anyone who has experience of MS will know this illness does not only affect mobility. Will be interesting to see how his needs will be catered for now that DCL has changed the rules. I wonder how hard it will be for him to get a seat up on deck, wheelchairs are not the most comfortable of seating when forced to sit in them for prolonged periods.

For someone who seems to have such an opinionated view on everything let me set the record straight on this occasion. We do not, have not or wish to, smoke in her presence or that of any non smoker. In actual fact that is another reason we chose to book a balcony, so she nor anyone else would have to enjoy the "quality time" you so sarcastically refer to.

And in reply to some of the other opinions you have posted elsewhere about how if you were us you would cancel and use our unrefundable airfare on a nice resort location in the area. We have been to Barcelona, and although it is a very nice city we have no wish to spend our entire vacation there or in the surrounding area. Can't see our granddaughter enjoying 'quality time' in a city, don't really want to drag her round wine bars and cafes, a beach is not an option with a wheelchair and, as we live on the coast she can see the sea from her lounge window everyday of her life so not much point in that either. We booked this cruise because at the time of booking it suited all our needs, she would get the Disney experience, and we would when we wanted enjoy or cigarette on our balcony not be forced to go up on deck when my husband did not feel like it. The ship may be accessible throughout for the wheelchair but that does not necessarily mean it is easily accessible and as anyone who has experience of MS will know this illness does not only affect mobility. Will be interesting to see how his needs will be catered for now that DCL has changed the rules. I wonder how hard it will be for him to get a seat up on deck, wheelchairs are not the most comfortable of seating when forced to sit in them for prolonged periods.

Now you expect reserved seating as well? I suppose you want a lounger for each of you all together directly poolside and reserved all day everyday, just for your private use, right? When the ship is built to be accessible to all, that means no barriers and all can enjoy without needing special treatment. There is plenty of seating, although I suspect you won't be happy with the locations. In fact based on your postings, I suspect you will be very difficult to make happy about anything.

I fully understand that the challenges of the disabled. My mother has Parkinson's, my brother has rods in his back and plates and screws in his feet after an industrial accident shattered numerous bones in his body--it was questionable as to whether he would walk again. I spent a year in a wheelchair on and off after having a tumor removed from my spine. But I didn't expect special treatment or rules to be broken for me, and accepted that sometimes things would just be a little more challenging.

As far as not wanting to expose people to your smoke, what about the people with balconies next to yours? You don't want to expose your grand daughter to secondhand smoke, why is it OK to do so to your neighbors? Or is your "convenience" simply more than anyone else's health and enjoyment if their cruise?

Now you expect reserved seating as well? I suppose you want a lounger for each of you all together directly poolside and reserved all day everyday, just for your private use, right? When the ship is built to be accessible to all, that means no barriers and all can enjoy without needing special treatment. There is plenty of seating, although I suspect you won't be happy with the locations. In fact based on your postings, I suspect you will be very difficult to make happy about anything.

I fully understand that the challenges of the disabled. My mother has Parkinson's, my brother has rods in his back and plates and screws in his feet after an industrial accident shattered numerous bones in his body--it was questionable as to whether he would walk again. I spent a year in a wheelchair on and off after having a tumor removed from my spine. But I didn't expect special treatment or rules to be broken for me, and accepted that sometimes things would just be a little more challenging.

As far as not wanting to expose people to your smoke, what about the people with balconies next to yours? You don't want to expose your grand daughter to secondhand smoke, why is it OK to do so to your neighbors? Or is your "convenience" simply more than anyone else's health and enjoyment if their cruise?

Not only are you like a dog with a bone, not wanting to just let go and move on....you also aren't paying attention.

McNotMac did NOT ask about RESERVED seating. She was simply wondering if there would be ENOUGH seating in order to be able to move from the wheelchair and sit comfortably on deck.

(The answer, McNotMac, is probably not. There are very few chairs as the smoking areas are very small. The chair up near Currents Bar on the Dream and Fantasy ARE nice padded ones, but it's also hard to manuever around them because there are also tables and it's a tight area)

And besides, Duckbutt, there are ALWAYS reserved seats for people with accessible needs in theaters and dining areas....why would it be so unreasonable for someone to ask about them, if that really WAS what she was asking about??

With your holier than thou attitude, I can bet just about anything that when YOU were in a wheelchair, you made SURE you had seating wherever you went.

Get off your damned high horse and go have a glass of your wine and chill.

Sorry you keep taking the same cruise over and over instead of seeing the rest of the world.

And, since you seem to be concerned that I may not have seen much on my Disney cruises, here's a list of where I've been.....only with DISNEY. I've been to far, far more through cruising other lines and private travel. So rest easy, there.

Acapulco

Antigua

Aruba

Bahamas

Barbados

Cabo

Cartegena Columbia

Costa Maya

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Key West

Mazatlan

Panama Canal

Puerto Vallarta

Roatan

St Barth

St John

St Kitts

St Lucia

St Maarten

St Thomas

Tortola

Obviously Disney offers more than you thought they did.

I've not ever had any desire to go to Europe, but they've also done plenty of those, too.

And I'm going to say this one last time....in big letters...hopefully you'll understand it.

I've been on the Disney Discussion Boards for 10+ years.

Over the years, people have repeatedly asked the question:

"Will I be bothered by smoke from the balcony next to mine?"

And the answer has always been the same.....from hundreds of people:

Most of the time, and most people respond saying that they have NEVER been bothered by it....never even SAW anyone out there smoking.

Once in a while, someone would report back that they did have a smoker near them, but it didn't bother them.

Once in a while, someone would report back and say that they had a smoker next to them, and they politely spoke to the smoker, and made an arrangement so that they could all enjoy their balconies.

I have to honestly say that I have only seen one, or maybe two, reports where the person said that it was totally miserable and that they'd complained but nothing could be done.

My non-scientific study tells me that it really wasn't a problem.

In all of my 20+ cruises, there was only ONE where we had smokers next to us, and it bothered my husband.

Unless you have some other sort of respiratory problems, that little whiff of smoke before it blows out to sea, is NOT going to kill you or make you sick. You may not LIKE it, but it won't be deadly.

And besides, there are SO MANY smells that a lot of people don't like....we can't get rid of all of them.

Finally......now that DCL has changed their policy, yes, you will see many, many posts on the DIS Boards right now, non-smokers who are still going on and on and on and on about how nasty smokers are. More people are just jumping on the band wagon, where they had never previously stated a problem, simply because they now know that they have DCL's new rule to back them.

Like you and your posts, what I can't understand is why, now that the rule is changed in favor of the non-smokers, can't you just say "Well, good, I'm happy" and then move on???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Smokers are used to be pushed around and shoved into corners and treated like second-class citizens. Most of the posts I've seen from smokers have said that they would either save money and move to an inside room, or cancel and get their money back...but they would live with it, because they have no choice, and it's Disney's company, they can make the rules. End of subject for the smokers.

But the non-smokers.....holy cow! On and on and on....it's not good enough for them, they want the whole ship to be non-smoking, now they're complaining that the public areas will be miserable....blah blah blah.......

In my opinion, non-smokers are hateful and judgemental. And after reading how much you protested that your "little vice" of needing your wine was "really no big deal"....I think you're protesting too much. If it really was "no big deal", then not being able to take your own special wine onboard for a 3, 4, or 7 night cruise wouldn't bother you in the least.

How sad when someone is so full of their own importance that they resort to putting words into the mouths of others. Perhaps I malign you, so if so let me explain my reasons for that statement.....

Originally Posted by ducklite

Now you expect reserved seating as well? I suppose you want a lounger for each of you all together directly poolside and reserved all day everyday, just for your private use, right?

Wrong. Don’t know where you take this assumption from. Nowhere have I indicated a desire for that. On the contrary what we wanted was what we booked, a balcony where we could enjoy a cigarette at times when the poolside is not an option for us.

When the ship is built to be accessible to all, that means no barriers and all can enjoy without needing special treatment.

Really, does no barriers and all can enjoy relate to smokers as well as non smokers?

There is plenty of seating, although I suspect you won't be happy with the locations. In fact based on your postings, I suspect you will be very difficult to make happy about anything.

Thank you for advising us that there will be plenty of seating in the smoking area which will be easily accessible for my husband. It’s reassuring to know that. However I am sorry to disappoint you on your next comment but I am usually very easily made happy. (Provided of course that someone has not changed the terms of a contract previously agreed). Now maybe you think that is unreasonable but I don’t so we will have to agree to disagree about that.

I spent a year in a wheelchair on and off after having a tumor removed from my spine. But I didn't expect special treatment or rules to be broken for me, and accepted that sometimes things would just be a little more challenging.

We have never expected or asked for special treatment or for rules to be broken for us. This rule was not in existence at the time of booking and we did so only after checking with DCL that smoking was allowed.

As I said in my original post, we do not, or wish to expose anyone to second hand smoke. We have been on many cruises and like most smokers, we are mindful of our neighbours and don’t smoke on our balcony when they are on theirs. Not once have I said it is ok to do that to anyone, and we have always tried to avoid this. However since this new rule dictates we can only smoke on the deck I fear many more people will be exposed to second hand smoke not less. Now that I am not happy about but I didn’t make the rule. And finally, no we don’t believe our enjoyment is more important than anyone else’s but neither do we think it is any less so.

Archived