Summit - Disembarkation time in San Juan

Xcitdcruiser

Hello, as our cruise gets closer excitement is building & time spent on these boards are expanding!

I was wondering what time (frame?) does /can one disembark on the last day?

Also, what are the options for breakfast? Is Blu open?

We are staying in San Juan post cruise & playing with the idea of organising car hire for that day to go exploring as our hotel only allows check in from 3pm.

Many thanks for your help.

The breakfast service ends at 8 or 8:30 and they want to have everyone off the ship by around 10. You can probably leave as early as 6:30 or 7:00 if you request the earlier times, or you can get an assignment later in the morning, since you have flexibility and won't be running for a flight. There isn't much to do on the ship once the breakfast service is over, so you might as well leave.

Do check what time the car rental offices open as that might be a factor in your decision.

You might also consider taking a cab to your hotel to check-in. Odds are you won't actually be able to get in your room at 10am (or whatever early morning hour), but the hotel should be able to at least store your luggage for you while you explore San Juan. We did this at the Embassy Suites 3 years ago and by the time we were finished exploring and went back to the hotel, our room was ready and we were able to change into our swimsuits and lounge by the pool.

I think some hotels may also have shuttles that would take you into Old San Juan which would save you a little money. Check with your hotel to see if this is available. Cabs aren't that expensive, but why pay for one if you don't have to? You can save the money and spend it on a Pina Colada at Barracinna's! :)

The last call to disembark the Summit in San Juan varies widely. Sometimes we've been able to stay on until 11:00 a.m. and yet this past March the "last call" was at 9:15 a.m. :eek: We have found on average the "last call" is around 9:45 - 10:00.

We eat breakfast in Blu and then find a lounge chair in the shade and hang out until we have to leave.

I learned in a post in another thread that none of the San Juan hotels offer shuttle service.

Well that stinks! I think the Embassy had an airport shuttle service, but we needed a taxi to get to Old San Juan. Wasn't sure if that was the case with many of the hotels.

I agree with the shuttle comments. No hotels in San Juan offer shuttles anywhere. There are apparently laws against it (the cab drivers union must be strong:rolleyes:). Depending where you are, there may be an inexpensive and safe bus you can take to OSJ for a lot cheaper than taxis. I know one of our recent hotels had that option but unfortunately I cannot remember which one.

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites many times over the years and I do not recall them ever offering a shuttle. I would agree with the comment about checking in, having the hotel hold your luggage, and go do your thing. If you wish, you can pack swimming stuff in a carry-on and enjoy a day at the hotel pool. Also, again depending where you stay, there may be any number of places you can walk to for shopping, gambling, eating, the beach.

We are staying in San Juan post cruise & playing with the idea of organising car hire for that day to go exploring as our hotel only allows check in from 3pm.

Most hotels will store luggage for you starting in the morning. Some will even give you a key to allow you to use the pool area and charge things to your account until your room is ready. Some will even take your cell number and call you as soon as your room is ready. We did this at the Intercontinental and had a lovely day by the pool. Room was ready before 2pm and they kindly upgraded us to oceanfront.

Many thanks for your help.

You may want to think twice about renting a car in Puerto Rico. I grew up in New York City and found the drivers in PR to be worse and more agressive than those in NY. There are also more potholes in the roads there than in NY and every driver seems to know just where they are and swerves around them.

Besides, you would have to drive on the wrong side of the road!!

Steve..

BTW, if you can get to Old San Juan you can spend at least one day sightseeing there. They also have free trolleys that go around OSJ so there is no need for a car there. (you didn't say where your hotel was so if it is in OSJ you've got everything right at your doorstep).

Good luck and enjoy!!

Steve

We always rent a car in San Juan, have for years and never had an issue. BTW, they drive on the same side of the road as we do. We normally rent from Charlies, great rates. Have gone to the Rain Forest and done many things with having a car.

However, I will say you can easily spend a day in OSJ walking around. There are 2 forts and tons of shopping and looking around. So really depends on what you want to do

But don't be afraid to rent a car, it is easy and very easy to get around in San Juan. OSJ is a little trickier, but we have driven through there also.

Thank you for the replies. We are actually spending 2.5weeks in Puerto Rico (pre+post cruise) so have already decided to car hire between the rainforest & san juan as its the most economical = can you tell we are the adventurous types? :)

We will also have plenty of time exploring OSJ - this disembarkation day is just a 'funny' one where we won't technically be based anywhere.

Thinking of using the day to have a Lechon in Guavate, followed by visiting the natural water hole in Charco Azul & hopefully some shopping in Barceloneta !

We always rent a car in San Juan, have for years and never had an issue. BTW, they drive on the same side of the road as we do. We normally rent from Charlies, great rates. Have gone to the Rain Forest and done many things with having a car.

But don't be afraid to rent a car, it is easy and very easy to get around in San Juan. OSJ is a little trickier, but we have driven through there also.

With Charlies, do they pick you up from the pier that we would be disembarking at? (Pan Am ithink its called)

And if staying in OSJ, where would be the best drop off point?

Archived