What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

We went cave-tubing in Belize.....Fun day.

I cancelled my cruise with Belize but really looking forward to this stop next. The other must see port is Dominica. I did the cave snorkeling in Mexico.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well, I've expressed my opinion about Jamaica, but if you want to be beaten up by the rah-rah-rah Jamaica cheerleaders who get snarky if you don't love Jamaica like they do, then here's the thread for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1485967&page=11

Make no mistake, Jamaica has her defenders. Maybe it's the weed, music, food, men, women, and even God given beauty. Maybe it's the culture the poster I responded to referred as repugnant. Maybe it's the only place on earth all hell is breaking loose and someone smiles and says no problem mon. Rah rah cheerleaders, that's cruise line rubbish.

Why put the link here, to set the posters up to be flamed, as the other poster started to. Different day and thread, same old agenda to set posters up to be flamed, smh and thank you.

One Love!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Ive gotta say I am much less excited for my cruise now, seeing on how the ports of call are Cozumel and Grand Cayman....seem to be very high on everyone's list to "not get off the ship!"

But then again a saw some dislike for San Juan and I LOVED PR...

We get off at every port, it's nice to walk around, have a local lunch and people watch, if anything! I get bored on Sea Days! lol

We really don't like the Bahamas. Bleck! There is nothing there we care about. We will always stay on the boat.

I think St. Thomas is 2nd. It isn't that we don't like it, it is that we have been there 5 times. We may get off the ship and walk around the port or go downtown for a while, but mostly, we just stay on the quiet boat.

Ive gotta say I am much less excited for my cruise now, seeing on how the ports of call are Cozumel and Grand Cayman....seem to be very high on everyone's list to "not get off the ship!"

We get off at every port, it's nice to walk around, have a local lunch and people watch, if anything! I get bored on Sea Days! lol

Be excited and happy. Cozumel is lots of fun, whether you just walk around and shop, or go to the beach. Grand Cayman is lovely. Go to 7 mile beach or swim with the sting rays. Have a beautiful time whatever you do.

Take what's said with a grain of salt. Some people have been to some of the ports so many times, they simple cruise because they have nothing better to do. San Juan and Belize are two of my must see places. I am more than happy to know they are not on the list of a few posters. It means I many never be on a cruise with them and definitely not in port. Every port is not for everyone or sometimes once is enough. I saw Sting Ray and Turtles in GC. I loved Cozumel and did these ladies but what happened in Jamaica best stay there. I went home:D Going on a cruise and not getting off the boat is like flying to a city and not leaving the airport. Every trip I take I am different, so I see the same place differently. It's a growth some never really experience, so go enjoy each port. I clearly don't cruise as many here, or for the same reason. Many ports, expect for Jamaica and Mexico, I have been only once and can't wait to go back.

Enjoy your cruise and ports.

Pauline

11847776135_727fa8f393_q.jpg

[/url] by , Cozumel

Edited by Blk_Amish

I love being on board a ship, and having some time on board when the ship is quieter, even when it is tied up alongside, will be fun. Given that, I will probably stay on board in Ensenada on my next cruise.

The last time I visited they had a tour to the film studio where Titanic was filmed. That was a lot of fun. This was offered by Carnival as the "Fox Studios & Rosarito Tour." Sadly, this is no longer offered.

Ensenada seems to offer either shopping or a winery tour, and since neither of those are of particular interest, I'll enjoy the shipboard facilities.

I agree that all of these comments need to be taken in context. What I like you may hate and the same is true for the reverse. I like to visit historical stuff. Others may be looking for a more lively adventerous time ashore. My port of choice and activity just might bore the pants off of you. How often have you read a cruise review when one person describes the cruise as the trip of a life time and that everything exceeded their expectations and then moved to another review of the same trip and the poster describes the maiden voyage of the Titanic as being better than the cruise they just got off of. Same with port reviews. I posted that I didn't like Falmouth because everyone I encountered wanted to sell me dope. For someone else this could be the best shopping market on the planet. I'm certain that a lot of the comments here reflect the personal likes and dislikes of the posters, mine certainly do.

Interestingly the vast VAST amjority of ports listed are in the carribbean. No other port has more than one negative voter.

Is this because the carribbean ports are so bad or is it just that they get far more repeat visitors, cruisers who are visiitng the same area, year after years?

Interestingly the vast VAST amjority of ports listed are in the carribbean. No other port has more than one negative voter.

Is this because the carribbean ports are so bad or is it just that they get far more repeat visitors, cruisers who are visiitng the same area, year after years?

I think it's because they are the most visited by the majority of CC members. Places like Nassau, Jamaica and Belize are always mentioned in these threads. Meanwhile, ports on the west cost of Mexico, north coast of Africa, etc, are less mentioned due to far less ships going there.

Edited by Aquahound

Yes, everyone has different expectations of their cruise experience and the ports. The Caribbean ports are pretty much all the same for me. Sun, beach, vendors selling crafts, etc. My first visit to each port is exciting because everything is new to me. After you hve visited Cozumel 10 times it is the same old - same old. I have to keep looking for different adventures.

However, it's nice saying on the ship especially if you have visited the port many times. Everyone leaves and you can have the ship almost to yourself. It's a nice day on the ship when she is docked in port.

Marion

Small wonder that the majority of ports mentioned are in the Caribbean. It is the most cruised area on the planet by a wide margin, the most accessable to the North American market which encompasses the largest percentage of cruisers per capita on the planet and close to if not the cheapest place to cruise. Ask 10 people from the US or Canada who have only cruised once where it was and I would be shocked if at least 8 of them said something other than the Caribbean. The other two are probably the west coast.

I think it's because they are the most visited by the majority of CC members. Places like Nassau, Jamaica and Belize are always mentioned in these threads. Meanwhile, ports on the west cost of Mexico, north coast of Africa, etc, are less mentioned due to far less ships going there.

Ports like Jamaica that bring out the best and worse in people. The defenders or local, like myself, or the haters who are expert on the CULTURE after 6 hours in port. I Iove when I get asked how you are able to cruise being Jamaican. I always reply I have a Amish sugar daddy :D

I do believe ports are the worse way to be introduced to a country and Jamaica could be considered the worse in that case. Too much of hit or miss experience depending on what one seeks. I can't believe someone placed a link to set up people to be flamed :eek: Listing that you didn't like it wouldn't have been enough.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to many of these islands multiple times, too....for one day at a time. I can't imagine NOT getting off on any of the islands I have already been to. There is so much to see. I never get tired of a catamaran trip or a beach day. How could I have seen the entire place one day at a time? It's worth getting off at every island, except where you might not feel safe. For me, I would not get off in Jamaica. Additionally, I won't go on a cruise that even stops there, because I don't want my port charges to go there. Otherwise, can't imagine getting tired of seeing any particular island.

Mine Nassau Cozumel. They are on nearly every Eastern or western sailing! Ill stay on the ship!

Nassau. Its the one place we've been that we actually say "I dont want that cruise because it stops there." At some point we might take another cruise that stops there and just not get off that day.