What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

This is a great thread!! It's a wonder the Western Caribbean cruises sell!!

I'm going to add one most people like....St.Martin. Next time, we will take a cab to the location where the incoming jets fly in. At least that looked like fun!! I am a major shopper and I couldn't stand shopping in St Martin.

In Europe---this was our worst---Tangier, Morocco. But...I know others who loved it.

Guess I am one of those cruisers who loved Tangier. We had a FABULOUS guide (a friend of Rick Steves) and I took some of my best travel photos in Tangier.

Marion

I'm going to add one most people like....St.Martin. Next time, we will take a cab to the location where the incoming jets fly in. At least that looked like fun!! I am a major shopper and I couldn't stand shopping in St Martin.

In Europe---this was our worst---Tangier, Morocco. But...I know others who loved it.

We are ones who loved Tangier. We had a great time.:)

Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, on our Crystal cruise last Christmas and Coquimbo, Chile, on our recent Celebrity cruise. Guadeloupe was scary - we walked around for about 30 minutes and felt unsafe everywhere we went. In Coqumibo, we walked off the ship and in the span of 5 or 6 blocks, we saw vomit, dead cats and garbage. If I went to these ports again, I would opt for a ship-organized excursion.

Michael

We are beach people & have 11yr old so most ports we can find suitable beach,sand & cerveza and we are happy.

Nassau is one that is getting old--you have to spend way too much for Atlantis & hard to find safe close inexpensive beach. We usually exit & look for souvenirs near straw market & grab a drink near the port & people watch some.

San Juan is another mainly due to being there many times too. Those 2 ports we don't stay on land too long but we do want to do the rain forest in SJ with son now that he is older.

We still enjoy Cozumel-have done various excursions over the years including the submarine, all inclusive resorts or just close beach.

We did find enjoyable beach even at Belize (Bannister Island I believe) to move it back to an acceptable port.

We have loved the cruise private islands for the beach aspect & lack of being pestered to buy stuff.

Definitively prefer the Eastern/Southern Caribbean side for beaches though.

I'd have to say any port in Jamaica. I cruise to relax and am adept at politely (or not-so-politely if need be) declining aggressive vendors - but the people in Jamaica take it to a whole different level. I simply don't need the stress/annoyance that they cause me, so after a few attempts in different areas, I quit getting off the ship there. It was also the only port (after 20+ cruises and land vacations all over the world) where my ex-husband was offered a prostitute on the beach, and upon him declining, the offer was adjusted to a little girl. Awful.

Edited by samiam0403

None. For me the point of traveling to actually experience the places I am traveling to. I do a lot of research and can always find something of interest. I have been to over 50 ports of call, some as many as six times but am nowhere close to bored, or "over" any of them.

↑↑↑ This! ↑↑↑

BTW, I've never been to Jamaica but what I'm hearing concerns me... :(

Guess I am one of those cruisers who loved Tangier. We had a FABULOUS guide (a friend of Rick Steves) and I took some of my best travel photos in Tangier.

Marion

We were on a HAL tour. I think that was the issue. We were swarmed with people trying to sell us stuff. Even with no eye contact---it just didn't work. They knew we were with HAL and bugged us and didn't let up. But, it was an interesting experience. Just-never again!!

Many people will not enjoy the aggressive pressure of local sellers who surround you when you first get off the boat. But don't let that spoil your visit. Just ignore them and keep walking.

The best way to see the sights is simply to do your homework. Read up about the area on this site or use tripadvisor. Sign up for an island tour or make your own plans.

St Thomas- people complain that it's all shopping. Not so. take a ride over the Red Hook and take the ferry to St Johns. A whole diffenent experience.

Cozumel- Go to Chankanaab for snorkeling. Ot even take a ferry to Isla Mujeres if you have time

St Maarten- Do an island tour and visit Orient beach

Tangier-Seriously? You have a chance to visit an exotic North African port and you're going to go home and tell people you didn't get off the boat???!!! The snickering will keep you up at night! There are many wonderful companies who can give you a nice walking tour. And eat a great lunch.

And don't let signs of poverty scare you off.

Is Morocco now in Europe?

You have to get a new atlas.

:p

I agree about St. Thomas - St. Johns is a great destination. It's a wonderful ferry ride, easy to reach with fabulous beaches. You can get a cab to the beach where the ferry docks. We were married on a beach on St. Johns while on a Summit cruise.

The planes fly over Maho Beach on the Dutch side of St. Maarten and it is a fun afternoon. They have a nice bar right on the beach but very little shade.

I might book a cruise this afternoon that goes into Cozumel next month...I will check out Isla Mujeres - I always look for new experiences - something different to do. Thanks for the tip

Marion

I agree with Jamaica - dirty, scary, and commercial. So sad since I'm sure a lot of the population there would love to have a place cruisers would actually want to visit.

Not necessarily true. I am Jamaican and work with many different organizations to limit or stop ships from docking. Currently working to stop the plans to build another port. Some people are as horrible as they are because they don't want the place overrun by toursits. Good news is the ports are not as friendly but cleaner than the rest of the country. I wouldn't be caught dead in port when a ship is docked, even the one I am on:D. Go for the beauty, go for the weed, go for the food, go for the music, but don't go thinking everyone apprecaites your presence. This is true for many destinations where locals live and work.

I cruise for the ports so I have to get off and at least take pictures.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree about St. Thomas - St. Johns is a great destination. It's a wonderful ferry ride, easy to reach with fabulous beaches. You can get a cab to the beach where the ferry docks. We were married on a beach on St. Johns while on a Summit cruise.

The planes fly over Maho Beach on the Dutch side of St. Maarten and it is a fun afternoon. They have a nice bar right on the beach but very little shade.

I might book a cruise this afternoon that goes into Cozumel next month...I will check out Isla Mujeres - I always look for new experiences - something different to do. Thanks for the tip

Marion

It would be quite a trip from Cozumel to Isla Mujeres. 45 minute Ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen then about an hour's drive to Cancun, then a 15/20 minute ferry to Isla Mujeres. Look at a map - Cozumel is way south of Cancun and Mujeres is north of Cancun. It would probably be close to three hours by boat if you chartered one.

It would be quite a trip from Cozumel to Isla Mujeres. 45 minute Ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen then about an hour's drive to Cancun, then a 15/20 minute ferry to Isla Mujeres. Look at a map - Cozumel is way south of Cancun and Mujeres is north of Cancun. It would probably be close to three hours by boat if you chartered one.

Yes, you are right. Much too far unless you are spending a week in the area and have lots of time.

Marion

Alexandera with a tour of Cairo Egypt. Like the wife said "I'm glad I saw it but you won't get me back there again. I remember arriving back to the ship in the late evening and everyone clapped for the fact that we made it back to the ship. That was May of 2007. I just wonder how bad it is now. Tim

All ports have their pros and cons. Nassau and Cozumel have some of the best diving in the world. If you're looking for a 5 star restaurant with Grand Award wine list, the only place you'll find on in the Bahamas or Caribbean is in Nassau (just don't look for it near Atlantis).

If you can't find something to do in port, then you probably just have very limited interests.

For me, Acapulco, Montego Bay, and Nassau

I checked out your link and all I can say from that thread is, thank goodness a certain someone is no longer a CC representative. :rolleyes: What happened to him? :confused:

You don't say. It's a her. Still trying to stop further ships and docks to the island. She is about to sail Princess to the eastern Caribbean, since she did the western Caribbean last spring. Thanks for asking. Check out the thread with photos she careful created on the family board, providing help to those who wish to see the island. Sometimes it's about putting up. Iree mon!

By golly you missed my tanning on the Carnival Board.... Wow. It send me heading to Princess.

Pauline

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

My choices would be the following ports:

Ensenada

Cozumel

Ocho Rios

Also, St. Thomas is always so busy, I hate all the crowds. When we book a cruise, our first choice is not shopping. The first time we went to St. Thomas we booked a shore excursion to Coral World. Our tour bus left us even though we were 10 minutes early getting back to our bus. Luckily, we met another couple and shared their taxi with them.