Tasmanian Cruise Options

The Diamond Princess cruise to Tasmania in December offers "scenic cruising - Wineglass and Oyster Bays". I have done itineraries with scenic cruising and it can be a bit hazy and from a distance on a large ship - a bit like see it from the coach window. I have searched the reviews but could not find any comments good or bad about this "port". Is it worth the extra day ( and cost)? Thanks

The Diamond Princess cruise to Tasmania in December offers "scenic cruising - Wineglass and Oyster Bays". I have done itineraries with scenic cruising and it can be a bit hazy and from a distance on a large ship - a bit like see it from the coach window. I have searched the reviews but could not find any comments good or bad about this "port". Is it worth the extra day ( and cost)? Thanks

I feel Wineglass and Oyster Bays are best seen from above - either from a plane or from the top of Mt Amos. The shape of Wineglass Bay (from above) together with blue water (provided it is fine) look great. I don't think the view from a ship would be anything spectacular (but I haven't done it). From a ship you would be seeing coastline - a totally different perspective.

I have been into those bays by car and on foot, really nice, but I doubt the ship would get in real close. You need to be on land there to appreciate it. Still, I checked out that cruise, looks good.

I live in Tasmania and have cruised the scenic area that you are looking at. s it a nice day on the sea (if it is a good day)? Yes it is. Is it worth extra money? That is a matter of opinion. If the extra money is justifiable for an extra day at sea and long holiday, I say go for it but I would not pay the extra for this day alone. December is a great time to cruise to tasmania as you are likely to have good days at that time of the year, no guarantees here on any day of the year though i am afraid.

Enjoy your cruise.

I live in Tasmania and have cruised the scenic area that you are looking at. s it a nice day on the sea (if it is a good day)? Yes it is. Is it worth extra money? That is a matter of opinion. If the extra money is justifiable for an extra day at sea and long holiday, I say go for it but I would not pay the extra for this day alone. December is a great time to cruise to tasmania as you are likely to have good days at that time of the year, no guarantees here on any day of the year though i am afraid.

Enjoy your cruise.

I notice that you are embarking on your first cruise from Hobart in 2014. Is this the first cruise that has permitted embarkation from Hobart, or is it just the first cruise where you have embarked at Hobart?

I notice that you are embarking on your first cruise from Hobart in 2014. Is this the first cruise that has permitted embarkation from Hobart, or is it just the first cruise where you have embarked at Hobart?

First time for Hobart. They have spilt a 7 night cruise into a 3 night and a 4 night cruise to trial embarkation for 12 cabins only. It should be a little bit different joining a cruise half way through.

First time for Hobart. They have spilt a 7 night cruise into a 3 night and a 4 night cruise to trial embarkation for 12 cabins only. It should be a little bit different joining a cruise half way through.

what is the date for the 7 night cruise split in 2 to Hobart, i couldnt see it on the princess site

what is the date for the 7 night cruise split in 2 to Hobart, i couldnt see it on the princess site

That is because it is on the Radiance of the Seas. However, you won't find the broken into 2 cruises anywhere but the full cruise leaves Sydney on the 27/1/14.

That is because it is on the Radiance of the Seas. However, you won't find the broken into 2 cruises anywhere but the full cruise leaves Sydney on the 27/1/14.

the OP was talking about the Diamond Princess thats why it had me confused when you said the Radiance

the OP was talking about the Diamond Princess thats why it had me confused when you said the Radiance

Yes sorry I was responding about the scenic cruise on the East Coast of Tasmania. Never thought of that confusion when you asked about the cruise in my signature. The joys of written communication. :)

Sorry. That was me off topic. That is a great initiative by Royal Caribbean, even though it is only a small trial. Lets hope it is the first of future "cruising from home" opportunities for Tasmanians.

Sorry. That was me off topic. That is a great initiative by Royal Caribbean, even though it is only a small trial. Lets hope it is the first of future "cruising from home" opportunities for Tasmanians.

Yes I am hoping so.

Archived