We went to Sea Glass & Black Bay Beach

royal girl

We were on the 8/9 - 8/16 Grandeur cruise.

We walked last year to Sea Glass Beach and we enjoyed it so we decided to go again. Well, the difference in the sea glass is amazing. There was hardly any there!!! :eek: Last year, there was tons of it on the beach that we walked around for an hour looking at different pieces. Last week, there was only a fraction of sea glass compared to last year! Now, it was also high tide, so not sure if that was the reason. There was another family there, but it was pretty desolate.

We went back up the staircase & took a right and walked down to Black Bay Beach. What a nice surprise! This is a nice little beach! We stayed here for just over an hour in the water. Again, no one but us!! If you walk over the grassy area, there is another part of the beach there and there was actually a couple of people there. The water was clear and warm, not too rocky.

There was a picnic table, a portapotty & a man there on the grassy area who had chairs and umbrellas. IDK what else he had. He didn't bother us though. There is no food/drinks available.

This is a small beach. It is not big at all.

When we walked back to the ship, we noticed a few more people showed up at Sea Glass Beach. It is about a 20 minute walk from the Clocktower Mall at the Dock Yard.

And.... we didn't take any sea glass!!! ;)

How do you get to Sea Glass and Black Bay Beach?

People were reluctant to explain it to us in June (affraid we would remove sea glass maybe?). We are going in October again and I would love to check these 2 beaches out.

How do you get to Sea Glass and Black Bay Beach?

People were reluctant to explain it to us in June (affraid we would remove sea glass maybe?). We are going in October again and I would love to check these 2 beaches out.

There is a map and a walking route to the seaglass beach and Black Bay Beach, called Lack Bay on the map from poor cropping. The map, directions, and photoes were provided by Bermudian CC member 32N64W.

SBtS

We just asked the bus driver who was very nice and even told us how to get back to the right bus stop to be able to return to the ship.

We saw lots of glass in June, we were there about sunset time. I really liked the benches and stuff made out of concrete and covered in glass!

We then walked to Black Beach were it appeared to be local familys enjoying the sunset, very clean and nice.

And we didn't take any glass either!

Next spring we are driving the Pacific Coast Hwy from LA to Portland and I read there are several glass beaches for us to explore!

We were there too but I thought there was a ton of sea glass there. I wasn't there last year so I have nothing to compare it too but I have a picture and the sand is covered with sea glass. It must have been a lower tide.

Black Bay Beach was awesome...exactly as you described it.

Don't forget about the hammocks!

I was there last October. I took the bus. It was very easy.

Here is a picture of the glass. FYI--Tropical storm Raphael had just passed Bermuda the day we arrived so the water was very high while we were there. It is likely some of the glass was out to sea after the strong waves. [the ferry did not run to St Georges due to high seas the first day we were there]

PA190070_zpsfe3fe565.jpg

Thanks everyone!

We asked to the people from the Visitor's Center (the ones that talk about the island while taking the ferries to Hamilton) and he really convinced us that there wasn't really anything to see there and was too difficult to get there. That is why I thought they sort of discourage it.

As someone posted below, there are really good directions on this Bermuda forum with pictures to follow to Sea Glass Beach. If you walk past the staircase leading down to the beach and keep on going straight, you will stumble upon Black Bay Beach. We just walked there from the ship. (Not sure how small children would do on the walk though) The water was refreshing!

I guess because the tide was high, we didn't see that much sea glass compared to last year. I'm actually glad that is the reason. (hopefully!)

Bermuda is a really pretty island!

Edited by royal girl

• 2 months later...

I am trying to upload pics from Black Bay and Glass Beach but I am getting this message:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

One of my favorite pictures ever came from when I took it at Black Bay.

It was such a wonderful day.

My pictures are jpeg.

Thank you.

I am trying to upload pics from Black Bay and Glass Beach but I am getting this message:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

One of my favorite pictures ever came from when I took it at Black Bay.

It was such a wonderful day.

My pictures are jpeg.

Thank you.

Don't know what the error msg means, but to post photos, open an account at a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. Now upload the photo(s) you want to display to your PB account. For Photobucket, click on each uploaded photo(s), and you'll get something that looks like this (other sites should be the same):

Example01.jpg

Copy (left click on the URL) the IMG code and just paste (without the *'s) it into your post anywhere, for example: [*IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/SailBadtheSinner/example.jpg[*/IMG]

SBtS

Don't know what the error msg means, but to post photos, open an account at a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. Now upload the photo(s) you want to display to your PB account. For Photobucket, click on each uploaded photo(s), and you'll get something that looks like this (other sites should be the same):

Example01.jpg

Copy (left click on the URL) the IMG code and just paste (without the *'s) it into your post anywhere, for example: [*IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/SailBadtheSinner/example.jpg[*/IMG]

SBtS

Thanks. I was taking them from my computer.

Can I take from Shutterfly?

I'm technically challenged!

Thanks. I was taking them from my computer.

Can I take from Shutterfly?

I'm technically challenged!

Yes, you can take a photo from Shutterfly, and I was wrong in my previous post when I wrote - other sites should be the same (as uploading a photo from Photobook). Shutterfly is not.

To upload from Shutterfly, select the album first, then the photo you want to include the post. Double click on the photo to make it larger, and then place the cursor in the center of the photo. Right click and from the drop down menu, select Copy Image. Return to your CC post, and paste the photo into your post just as I have done here (my photo was a screen shot of my Shutterfly page):

ry%3D400

SBtS

Yes, you can take a photo from Shutterfly, and I was wrong in my previous post when I wrote - other sites should be the same (as uploading a photo from Photobook). Shutterfly is not.

To upload from Shutterfly, select the album first, then the photo you want to include the post. Double click on the photo to make it larger, and then place the cursor in the center of the photo. Right click and from the drop down menu, select Copy Image. Return to your CC post, and paste the photo into your post just as I have done here (my photo was a screen shot of my Shutterfly page):

ry%3D400

SBtS

THANK YOU VERY much!

I will try to do that shortly.

Thank you for taking the time. I appreciate it.

ry%3D400

SBtS

Thanks soooo much!!!!!

I appreciate that you took the time to help me. Thank you again!

They are both beautiful beaches

Sea glass beach and black bay beach are said to be the two of the best places on the island to collect sea glass. The latter is now apparently the subject of a huge promotional campaign by the West End Development Corporation of Bermuda. The beach also has a concession stand where you can hire things like beach chairs, hammocks and snorkel equipment.