Bon voyage / Ice Cooler worth it?

tony_g51181

I leave on the 21st of Sept and was looking to make some purchases from the Bon Voyage store or (fun store) I noticed they have a cooler with 4 cups and 2 koozies and bottle opener with choice of 4 beers for 39.99 Is that worth it?? I figured I could use the cooler the entire cruise.... Also I was thinking of making a liquor purchase, now does anyone know if that bottle has to stay in my room? I want Patron and would love to sit poolside and take shots out my own bottle would that be frowned upon? Or is it even allowed??? Thanks

I can answer about the cooler. Got this for my DS back in April and he loved it. I also ordered some additional beers and he would put his beer in the cooler and get a bartender to fill with ice and take his cooler to the Lido.

Kim

The problem with the Patron is that it's a glass bottle and those are not allowed on deck. My husband always pours his rum into a plastic flask or bottle and puts that in the cooler and makes drinks up on deck. For sipping however I would think something would be lost putting patron in plastic? :)

The cooler zips shut. It was very handy on our recent cruise. I just attached the bottle opener to the zipper and that was it is always right near my beers. The room steward would fill up the cooler for me every morning so I could put some of the beers I purchased from Bon Voyage in it. In my opinion, it is 100% worth it. The two carnival bottle "koozies" are very nice too!

[ATTACH]283324[/ATTACH]

I guess I now know the official word from Carnival!!

Wonder if this is new??? I never saw this before. May just be a formality;). We took ours (cooler) up to the Lido as they gave us the wrong beer . We wanted Bud Light and were given Buds....

Bartenders quickly and happily exchanged them.

There was no mention of this as we obviously sat on the Lido with our cooler filled with ice and tipping back a cold one:)

It is the "law" and is the reason they get you to check that you understand it. Taking the glass Patron bottle to the pool area would be a dead giveaway, having a coke/pepsi/water bottle with some in it would not bring any attention to it. Now if the sole reason for taking the bottle is to impress, well sorry but about the only people you will impress are the security guards which most likely will kindly request you take the bottle back to your cabin. As for the cooler and beers, you can buy the beer anywhere so would not cause a problem.

My wife purchased the beer cooler (and beer) for me for our anniversary this upcoming cruise and I purchased her a bottle of vodka. I actually did the "drink package" as the extra 5 dollars was for a 6 pack of soda whereas a 6 pack cost $10 if bought separately.

Again, making a drink, taking a "flask", etc. to go to the pool deck is still (gosh I sure hope so) fine, it's the bottle that is the problem. And since the beer purchased thru BV is exactly what they sell at all bars it will not cause a problem. I plan on taking my empty (and sad) cooler to the Lido, purchase a "bucket" of beer but instead use the cooler as the bucket... easier to carry around and keeps them colder!

Yeah I just spoke with someone at Carnival and from what I understand its all about the glass liquor bottle.....and the initial bottles of beer that must be consumed in the room.....Asked if I could take cooler to lido and purchase more beers and she said that was fine...Asked if I could make my own drinks from my liquor bottle and take throughout the ship and she said yes just no glass!! So I will just have my patron in a flask in the cooler and handle it that way!!

• 2 weeks later...
I leave on the 21st of Sept and was looking to make some purchases from the Bon Voyage store or (fun store) I noticed they have a cooler with 4 cups and 2 koozies and bottle opener with choice of 4 beers for 39.99 Is that worth it?? I figured I could use the cooler the entire cruise.... Also I was thinking of making a liquor purchase, now does anyone know if that bottle has to stay in my room? I want Patron and would love to sit poolside and take shots out my own bottle would that be frowned upon? Or is it even allowed??? Thanks

yes it was worth it, hubby used his alot on the cruise and even more at home!! We can fill quite a bit in it to take out on our boat.

You cannot bring glass of any type out near the pool, so I would fill a water bottle with your Patron to bring out on deck.

Yeah I just spoke with someone at Carnival and from what I understand its all about the glass liquor bottle.....and the initial bottles of beer that must be consumed in the room.....Asked if I could take cooler to lido and purchase more beers and she said that was fine...Asked if I could make my own drinks from my liquor bottle and take throughout the ship and she said yes just no glass!! So I will just have my patron in a flask in the cooler and handle it that way!!

Totally makes sense. I don't know any place that allows glass near a pool area, we don't even allow it at our own house!

We have the older style square Carnival cooler and it has been great;)

The picture of it on the Bon Voyage site appears that it is not much taller than a bottle of beer. I decided against it and bought a very nice foldable cooler at Walmart for $5.00 Summer mark-downs are at all stores now. It will hold a lot more than the one offered by Carnival. Mine says it will hold a 12 pack of cans plus ice. I don't think the Carnival one will hold more that 4 bottles plus ice.

Another poster mentioned they use it everyday for lunch. That seems pretty small to me.

I have the cooler and love it!! If you ask at one of the bars for a bucket of ice (the bucket that 4 beers come in), the bucket slides into the inside of the cooler and keeps the outside from sweating when ice is inside!! Brought the whole thing home filled with my left over sodas and ice for the drive home.

Archived