De-caffeinated coke

Glammy Grammy

Noticed on the drinks package that it now has de-caffeinated coke which is great news to me. I have an intolerance to caffeine so avoid it at all costs else get anxiety, palpitations etc. When ordering, does it come in small bottles or from a mixer?, how can I be certain that it is caffeine free?, it would be great to be able to enjoy a rum and coke at night time but just don't want to risk being up all night if it is not. Similar thing happened on a previous cruise with de-caff coffee that I discovered a few hours later was definitely not !!!

Just a note that, at least last summer, not all bars stocked the caffeine free diet coke. Some had it, others didn't, although they could usually get it. I was in AQ and my waiter was able to get it, but at the beginning of the trip it wasn't stocked.

Greg

that is except for some of the mixers and glass soft drinks dispensed by the soda gun behind the bar

That's true, but if you ask for Caffeine Free Diet Coke, it's always in a can, so you will know it's the correct product.

FWIW, Celebrity generally understocks this item, as we've often had it run out towards the end of the cruise. As Caffeine Free is important to us, I wish Celebrity would stock more of the CF Diet Coke.

.... Similar thing happened on a previous cruise with de-caff coffee that I discovered a few hours later was definitely not !!!

All decaf coffee has some level of caffeine in it. The amount varies from so low it wouldn't effect most people to high enough to keep me (personally) awake at night if I drink some late afternoon or later. I've also run into numerous situations at restaurants where it was clear they gave me caffeinated coffee despite assurances it was decaf. For these reasons I hardly ever have decaf coffee. Many nights I'd love a cup of decaf along with my dessert while on a cruise but I won't because of bad experiences where it kept me up at night.

That's true, but if you ask for Caffeine Free Diet Coke, it's always in a can, so you will know it's the correct product.

FWIW, Celebrity generally understocks this item, as we've often had it run out towards the end of the cruise. As Caffeine Free is important to us, I wish Celebrity would stock more of the CF Diet Coke.

We also have the same wish. We find that sometimes you need to check at a different location if they do not have it in one location.

So, most of the bars will give you a caffeine free diet coke in a mixed drink if you ask? That is great news. I rarely drink anything with caffeine as it upsets my stomach so if I can get Malibu with caffeine free diet coke, that will be awesome!

I am not sure that Celebrity makes mixed drinks with CFDC if you ask. I can certainly check if you do not need to know until our Nov 1 cruise. Perhaps they might charge you separately for the CFDC portion since it comes from a can. If you have a drink package this should not be a problem.

We also have the same wish. We find that sometimes you need to check at a different location if they do not have it in one location.

I am not sure that Celebrity makes mixed drinks with CFDC if you ask. I can certainly check if you do not need to know until our Nov 1 cruise. Perhaps they might charge you separately for the CFDC portion since it comes from a can. If you have a drink package this should not be a problem.

We do have the drink package, classic. We are not going until Feb 22. I usually use crystal light in flavored rums other than coconut, so I can always just ask for booze, ice and a bottle of water and mix my crystal light. Or drinks of the day, frozen drinks, etc. I can always find something if they won't give me cfdc. If you want to check for me, you can just post out on our Feb 22 roll call after your November cruise. Thanks!!

....... if you ask for Caffeine Free Diet Coke, it's always in a can, so you will know it's the correct product.

Which makes it even more likely, Andy, that when the caffeine free regular coke is stocked it will be in the can. Vastly fewer consumers. The CFRC is in such small demand that some large supermarkets do not even stock it.

Believe it or not, I need the CFRC for medical reasons -- what an irony given all the recent news columns on sugary soft drinks.

I only drink CFDC at home, it's real rare to find it a self-serve machine, but there are a few ! on the ship it will probably be in cans. on a prior cruise, only 2 spots that had it. not many knew they even had it. they ran out of cans and found some 2 litre bottles. don't know where from, but suspect from shore, when they docked. in any case, I will be bringing my own on my next cruise, Century / Hawaii, Nov. brought my own on a Princess Panama Canal cruise last Jan. I'm cheap when it comes to paying for it on a cruise. I drink approx 5 cans / day, do the math, = 75 cans, @ $4 / 12pk it's a lot less than the soda package. one other thing - be aware of the expiration date (bottom of can) - ALL diet soda has one, any date shorter than 1 month will probably taste a little strange. expired soda should never be consumed. it won't kill you but it will taste awful. has to do with the artificial sweetener. Don't know the science, only know what I drink.:)

All decaf coffee has some level of caffeine in it. The amount varies from so low it wouldn't effect most people to high enough to keep me (personally) awake at night if I drink some late afternoon or later. I've also run into numerous situations at restaurants where it was clear they gave me caffeinated coffee despite assurances it was decaf. For these reasons I hardly ever have decaf coffee. Many nights I'd love a cup of decaf along with my dessert while on a cruise but I won't because of bad experiences where it kept me up at night.

You are absolutely correct. My DS avoids caffeine as he gets panic attacks and caffeine worsens them (and anyone who has ever had a true panic attack never wants to get them again:)). He avoids 'caffeine free' coffee for just the reasons you mention. Fortunately he likes tea, and he can order caffeine free tea and since he gets the bag with the pot, he can see it is really caffeine free (or darn close to it as tea has less caffeine to begin with, so caffeine free tea is very close to really caffeine free).

There is so much emphasis these days on drinks heavily laden with caffeine that those of us who limit or avoid caffeine get very frustrated at the lack of choices. Just try to get caffeine free diet soda of any kind when at a restaurant or a fast food restaurant - it is sometimes available, but rarely. And caffeine free iced tea (which I make for us at home) is never available. As the population ages, and more and more people avoid caffeine as it interferes with sleep, medications, etc.., one can only hope this starts to change for the better.

Archived