iPad for WiFi Access on Ship

The Royal Caribbean FAQ about Internet at sea reads as follows:

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

Does anyone know if there's any reason the WiFi wouldn't work using an iPad. I need to maintain some connectivity to work while I'm away. I hate to lug my laptop if I don't have to.

I will sign up for Verizon's global access which is supposed to work on the ship but my experience with that in the past hasn't been so good.

The Royal Caribbean FAQ about Internet at sea reads as follows:

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

Does anyone know if there's any reason the WiFi wouldn't work using an iPad. I need to maintain some connectivity to work while I'm away. I hate to lug my laptop if I don't have to.

I will sign up for Verizon's global access which is supposed to work on the ship but my experience with that in the past hasn't been so good.

WiFi works fine on the iPad. The only issue I've heard is that sometimes it does not disconnect properly, and erroneous charges accumulate. These can be taken off at Guest Services. You can talk to Guest Services and get the "log off" URL so you don't have the disconnect problem.

Just curious as to what the benefit is to the Verizon Global Access? I guess you still have to pay a per minute charge while you are on the ship? I noticed that Verizon has the cruise ship plan, but I just don't understand what it does for you? I am cruising on the Explorer next month, and would also like to bring my Ipad. FYI..... I already have a data plan for my Ipad. Thanks

...I will sign up for Verizon's global access which is supposed to work on the ship but my experience with that in the past hasn't been so good.

I would check the data limits on that plan. You may have a bunch of apps on the iPad that are using data without being obvious to you. If you run over the data limit, the cost could be very high.

I used my iPad in June on Radiance, and it worked fine (I wonder when they will get rid of that "Windows" requirement...).

But Bob is right (as always!) - be sure to bookmark the logoff page somehow. I actually saved it to my home screen. Then whenever I finished a session I pulled it up to ensure I was logged off.

This was my first cruise with the iPad instead of a laptop - so easy!

Just curious as to what the benefit is to the Verizon Global Access? I guess you still have to pay a per minute charge while you are on the ship? I noticed that Verizon has the cruise ship plan, but I just don't understand what it does for you? I am cruising on the Explorer next month, and would also like to bring my Ipad. FYI..... I already have a data plan for my Ipad. Thanks

It gives you 100MB of data for $25/mo and then each additional 100MB is $25. Voice is $2.49/minute. I won't be streaming video while at Sea but it will be more than enough to allow me to check for urgent email.

The Verizon Plan is a cellphone plan not a WiFi plan . Totally different type of system.

Verizon does have a cruise ship data plan for tablets and such. What I am not grasping is that if you get a cruise ship data plan, you are still paying RCI a per minute WiFi rate plus the cost of the data plan through Verizon?

Verizon does have a cruise ship data plan for tablets and such. What I am not grasping is that if you get a cruise ship data plan, you are still paying RCI a per minute WiFi rate plus the cost of the data plan through Verizon?

No. You are paying by the MB through Verizon when you connect through 3G; you pay RCI when you connect through WiFi. And, in my experience, good luck getting 3G onboard; I've rarely gotten data through the cellular system. Unless you log in, you'll be on Verizon.

No, if you use the cellular connection on the tablet, you would not need to use Royal's WiFi connection. Royal has a cellular service on the ship, in addition to WiFi, so you can choose to use either or both if you wish.

The plan is for cellphone technology like your cellphone/smartphone . Most ships have cell towers installed . Wifi isn't covered by all data plans because the company can't keep track of cellphone/smartphone/tablet/Ipad.

I am very new to iPads and just got my first one about 1 month ago. I plan on bringing it on our Australia trip next year. I am not sure how much I will use it once on board but would like to check our spending on our Credit Card and perhaps emails. Once on board under my settings, what should I be aware. I wouldn't want to be using minutes if I am not using it by having something running that i am not aware of. I have taken a class to become more familiar with the device but still so much to learn.:)Thank you,

WiFi works fine on the iPad. The only issue I've heard is that sometimes it does not disconnect properly, and erroneous charges accumulate. These can be taken off at Guest Services. You can talk to Guest Services and get the "log off" URL so you don't have the disconnect problem.

We had this problem on our cruise and they tok off the charges and gave us new minutes but at .75 cents, it wasn't at the lower price.

I live in Switzerland and have had mobile internet for a few years. On my plan I am able to select connect only when data package activated to avoid otherwise expensive roaming charges. My IPAD needs to be picking up a roaming partner to use this.

When on Brilliance last summer I was able to get a package called 'Swisscom Cruise', but when I asked in Switzerland they knew nothing about this. I had researched it a little at the time and recall that there was a company working toward this but can not remember many details now. I only picked this up in Northern and Western Europe and not on my later cruises in the Med..

When on Serenade, Liberty and Navigator, I was able to buy a package for 'EU/Western Europe' but only when I was picking up a coastal signal from an EU country and it did not work over 'Connection at Sea' that came up on the ship as a roaming partner.

It is not so inexpensive though, but is good for some connection time for email and such. For this plan right now I pay around $10 for 50mb to be used within 7 days. I pay around $32 for 200mb used within 30 days. (I got about 8 hours of use with this on Navigator and was able to pick up the coastal internet for about 60% of cruising time, but often had to be out on the promenade to pick it up.)

They have now added one for about $107 for 1GB of data volume in 30 days.

I have no idea how similar Verizon's plan may be, but there are options coming and these plans are down about half in the last two years.

Please forgive me as I ask my questions, I'm not very technically versed!! ;)

I have an iPad 4 that is equipped with 4g LTE and I have an iPhone 4 that has the same capability. In other words, I do not need WiFi to connect to internet on either one of them.

Will I be able to use either of them to check emails while at sea without purchasing RCCL's internet package?

Same question for while in Bermuda if anyone knows about that destination.

TIA! These boards have been so helpful in planning my cruises!!!

Please forgive me as I ask my questions, I'm not very technically versed!! ;)

I have an iPad 4 that is equipped with 4g LTE and I have an iPhone 4 that has the same capability. In other words, I do not need WiFi to connect to internet on either one of them.

Will I be able to use either of them to check emails while at sea without purchasing RCCL's internet package?

Same question for while in Bermuda if anyone knows about that destination.

TIA! These boards have been so helpful in planning my cruises!!!

Yes, you can use your devices to connect to the internet without using Royal's WiFi packages. However, you should contact your cellular provider to determine how much data will cost while at sea because they generally change much more for data if you use the cruise ship cellular service.

Yes, you can use your devices to connect to the internet without using Royal's WiFi packages. However, you should contact your cellular provider to determine how much data will cost while at sea because they generally change much more for data if you use the cruise ship cellular service.

Ok, got it! Thanks so much!!

By the sounds of things, a few people have "wifi" and "data" confused. If you have a "data" plan for your iPad, or any device, that means it will communicate on the internet through the cell network (3G, 4G, LTE, etc). Wifi is used for wireless internet and only works if there is an "access point" or "hot spot" available for your device can connect.

RC offers both types of internet. Your data/phone would work through the "cellular at sea" option. While okay for text/voice, I don't know if this is very good for data. If you buy an "international plan" for data, make sure it works on cruise ships. Many providers don't include cruise ships under that kind of plan.

If you device has wifi, using the ship's wifi is a better choice, however be aware that it is usually very slow, and they charge by the minute.

To avoid unexpected charges, another piece of advice is to put the device in "airplane mode" when you aren't needing to communicate on the internet.

If you must have internet access now and then, the best choice is to find out where there is a wifi hotspot at your ports of call and use that. It will be much more reliable than trying to get things working on the ship. In the past I have informed my work of my intinerary and what days I will check messages and that had been fine.

I am very new to iPads and just got my first one about 1 month ago. I plan on bringing it on our Australia trip next year. I am not sure how much I will use it once on board but would like to check our spending on our Credit Card and perhaps emails. Once on board under my settings, what should I be aware. I wouldn't want to be using minutes if I am not using it by having something running that i am not aware of. I have taken a class to become more familiar with the device but still so much to learn.:)Thank you,

I am assuming you have a wifi-only iPad? If you have a 3G one and are talking about using a cellular connection, I can't help with that.

As far as connecting to the wifi on board using your iPad, you have to set up an account in the computer lounge on the ship first. You swipe your seapass, and then create a username and password.

On your iPad, you open Settings, then click on Wi-Fi, then choose the "royal-wifi" network. Then open your browser (I used Safari), and a sign-in screen should pop up. Sign in using the username and password you created, then choose either a package or pay by the minute plan.

Here is where it can get a little tricky for iPads and iPhones - the logoff screen does not popup, and you must log off after each use so that you are not charged between your internet sessions.

Here is the URL for the logoff page:

http://appdb.rccl.com/ekgnkm/wirelesslogin.asp

Simple, right? You can either create a home screen link to that site, or just save the address in a note and copy and paste it whenever you need it.

Here is a link to the information flyer from our most recent cruise, on Radiance: INTERNET INFORMATION

I hope that helps, rather than making everything more confusing!

sbutchr, I have the 16 gb I IPad, and when we were out of town a week ago, all I had to do is put in the Password for the Hotel in that area. It automatically picked up the local signal. Thank you for the information and link for the Radiance. when I go into my Settings, it lists Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth, Cellualar. It is on General here at home.

Archived