Active and fit - but too old to do anything?

5012nk

We would never sign up for something we did not feel we could do. Now we are having to look at independent tour operators for these.

Nancy

not everyone will do that though.

as for making exceptions based on each individual.. far too hard to implement and maintain control. would you be okay with having to submit a doctor's affidavit? do pushups to prove your fitness level?

there need to be arbitrary cutoffs, period, in order to protect everyone.

as for making exceptions based on each individual.. far too hard to implement and maintain control. would you be okay with having to submit a doctor's affidavit? do pushups to prove your fitness level?

The cut-offs aren't exactly arbitrary, although it may feel that way to someone outside the demographic limits. The cut-offs are based on significant actuarial data that uses past claims activity to calibrate a specific demographic profile against a specific risk. Once the actuarial tables show a risk level outside the underwriter's risk tolerance, the underwriter will no longer allow an insurance policy to be written that includes that demographic.

Agree totally with the folks who say to research and book your own excursions. The ports-of-call boards here is a good place to start, as well as TripAdvisor. Generally speaking, you'll save money, have a better tour experience, and much fewer hassles! :cool:

I agree with you, in theory, that some limits must be set. That said we are a culture who has become healthier and much more physically active than our parents and grandparents. Some of these archaic rules have become ageist and are in serious need of updating. Many of us in our 60s and 70s are far more fit and prepared for these excursions than people far younger than ourselves. I find it astounding that I can snow ski, water ski, and climb mountains, but I can’t rent a Segway? That’s absurd.

I agree with you, in theory, that some limits must be set. That said we are a culture who has become healthier and much more physically active than our parents and grandparents. Some of these archaic rules have become ageist and are in serious need of updating. Many of us in our 60s and 70s are far more fit and prepared for these excursions than people far younger than ourselves. I find it astounding that I can snow ski, water ski, and climb mountains, but I can’t rent a Segway? That’s absurd.

It may seem absurd to you and I but to an actuary it still seems rational and more importantly - profitable. Until insurance companies can find a way to subdivide the 'seniors' demographic into profitable subsets everybody will be lumped together. So if it's too risky (i.e. too expensive) for operators and their insurance companies to insure the 'average' senior for these activities then all seniors will be affected. Hey, it might not be fair but life isn't fair. We all learned that a long, long time ago.

It may seem absurd to you and I but to an actuary it still seems rational and more importantly - profitable. Until insurance companies can find a way to subdivide the 'seniors' demographic into profitable subsets everybody will be lumped together. So if it's too risky (i.e. too expensive) for operators and their insurance companies to insure the 'average' senior for these activities then all seniors will be affected. Hey, it might not be fair but life isn't fair. We all learned that a long, long time ago.

Yes, sadly, your are correct. As an older demographic we are, individually, challenged to DIY our activities in order to do what we want. I'll be damned if I will accept being relegated to shuffleboard, a warm blanket, and a deck chair when I cruise. That said, I may be the old guy you see at a dead sprint trying to catch the ship because I wasn't on a ship sponsored excursion.:eek:

We did an island tour with Thenford Grey on St. Kitts and he was awesome. You might want to do a google search for his website and see what he could do for you (or at least make a recommendation for someone else on the island if he doesn't do rainforest tours).

Umm you would think that Ins co's and actuaries would adjust to the new world of longevity... 65 is the new 55...

And to the OP ...power to you ! Carpe Diem:D

CC

We did an island tour with Thenford Grey on St. Kitts and he was awesome. You might want to do a google search for his website and see what he could do for you (or at least make a recommendation for someone else on the island if he doesn't do rainforest tours).

Thanks - we are looking at Thenford's rainforest tour - it looks like the exact one offered by RCCL - only Thenfords is cheaper.....

Nancy

We have no problem in submitting a doctors note stating the fitness level. But let's get real - for those excursions with weight limits they don't have a scale right there weighing everyone. And I have seen many people way over the weight limit for some excursions and they are allowed.

I understand the concept of limiting people due to the strenuous nature of some of the tours, but the rainforest tour allows kids as young as 5.

Nancy

Being on the wrong side of 65, I totally understand your upset. All I can say is that it's got to be a liability insurance issue and they have to have cutoff ages somewhere. Don't think they're about to issue physicals to everyone who signs up for an excursion - and who would be liable if they are wrong in their assessments? You might find a private operator with fewer restrictions.

Which is the wrong side?

Except you can't protect everyone, regardless of how much you try. Some people will always try (and some will succeed) to do stupid things. That's way some people fall off cruise ships, and some people fall out of roller coasters.

I went to the tour desk. A) I am in better shape than most 45 year olds. B) I am probably more active than many 35 yeqar olds.

Said I will sign a waiver, I want that tour.

Bottom line, rep did not make me sign a waiver, and we got the tour we wanted.

I can understand their limitations...I will forever remember a guy and his wife, both vastly exceeding 350 lbs. Took the jet ski/snorkel trip....could not both get on the jet ski.....operator endured a non-stop tongue lashing.

Next time we were on the same itinerary....guess what....there was a weight limit on the tour!

So, if you really want it, head to the tour desk....have an "adult" conversation, sell them on you!

Physical problems are different than age. I am about to play in the 55 and 65 year old South Carolina state USTA tennis championships. We will play at least 6 matches in 3 days, since they are played at the same time. No big deal. I will take on the 30 to 40 year olds. I usually beat them at my level of tennis. However if I was 350 pounds that is an impossibility, so it should be related to physical conditioning. Yes 350 pounds is out of shape for 99% of those at that weight.

I will start booking more private tours. I am sure they will laugh at the age situation. H

I totally agree with you that it's a bummer, but it's just going to happen in our society. My dad is in his 70's and in much better shape than I am, but RCCL tells him he can't do certain excursions. Turn it around and use it as a positive like we did. We had always booked excursions through the cruise line, but when he started not being allowed due to age we went independent and haven't looked back since!

[quote name='curiouscat']Umm you would think that Ins co's and actuaries would adjust to the new world of longevity... 65 is the new 55...

CC[/quote]

The actuaries by definition are completely impersonal in executing their responsibility. They only respond to data. When and if (and it's a big if) the data eventually bear out that 65+ is no longer an uninsurable risk for activity-specific injury, they are legally obligated by state insurance regulations to change the tables. Remember, it wasn't so long ago when the average life expectancy was ~70 years old, and 55 was the old 65;)

[quote name='curiouscat']Umm you would think that Ins co's and actuaries would adjust to the new world of longevity... 65 is the new 55...

CC[/QUOTE]

In the U.S. life expectancy has increased from 75 in 1990 to about 79 years recently. So 65 is the new 61.;) I know it doesn't sound as nice but it's a bit closer to reality. And don't worry too much, if there's a buck in it the insurance companies will figure it out!

[SIZE=4]At the risk of being flamed big time, I can't resist saying this. (This from a 74-year-old--see my previous post on this thread.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]We may be living longer, but I don't think that means we are in better shape than in previous decades. Just read the threads about ship elevators!:eek: I won't go into details, but just look around at your fellow cruisers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]I can understand the arguments for setting these limits. This was all new information for me. I won't even consider ship excursions now but will continue booking private excursions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Happy sails.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Kathy[/SIZE]

Check with the tour company directly and explain your activity level and ask for an exception. I did this for a Segway tour in Nov. that listed an upper limit of 75. I just turned 76 and explained to them that I had done Segways before and as recently as 4 months ago. They said OK but would have the guide make sure I could handle it.

I agree that the age limit is too restricting. We have found that if we book on board we can get on excursions for under 65. I think if they see you and you look fit enough they will make an exception.
However the weight limit can sometimes be a safety factor for the individual and the group as a whole. We were on a boat excursion and several people who exceeded the weight limit by 50 - 100 lbs were allowed on the boat. We hit a bad storm and they all gathered on one side of the boat to keep dry causing the boat to be way off balance. As a result we almost went over. Fortunately the storm was short and we made it back. I complained to RC about this and they said they would talk to their vendor. Also there were no life jackets for very large people.

Does anyone know if there is an age limit on Ziplining, I saw a weight limit but nothing for age unless I missed it. We have quite a trip planned beginning in Sydney, Aust then eventually back to Honolulu and my DH is going ziplining with the daughter during our Transpacific on Kauai, he is 80 but pretty active.

[quote name='petesweet']

[SIZE=4]We may be living longer, but I don't think that means we are in better shape than in previous decades. Just read the threads about ship elevators!:eek: I won't go into details, but just look around at your fellow cruisers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Kathy[/SIZE][/quote]

Those elevator threads crack me up! We rarely take the elevator - if it is within 4 decks we will take the stairs. It always amazes me when someone gets on to go up only one deck.

Nancy

[quote name='Desert Cruizers']Does anyone know if there is an age limit on Ziplining, I saw a weight limit but nothing for age unless I missed it. We have quite a trip planned beginning in Sydney, Aust then eventually back to Honolulu and my DH is going ziplining with the daughter during our Transpacific on Kauai, he is 80 but pretty active.[/quote]

Hi Gay. There are company age restrictions to under 7 YO and weight to a max of 275 lbs. No mention of age on any site I visited. We go to Kauai every other year and it's gorgeous. Haven't had a chance to go ziplining yet but plan to. I hope you and John have a wonderful cruise.:)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Blue]My very active 82-year old Mom was on a cruise in April...Couldn't pre-book most of the excursions because of the age limit, even went to the onboard Excursion Desk, to no avail. They all agreed that she is in good shape for her age but still could not book anything for her.

Luckily, she is D+ and the Concierge got her booked on the excursions but he said had to override the booking system somehow? [/COLOR][/FONT]

I'm assuming it has to do with liability insurance. I agree with PP's who have said not everyone will do what they can handle. My mother is one of these people.

She is 71, has had both hips replaced, she does not exercise regularly and walks like a weeble wobble. She would be one of those people who would try to go for the rainforest hike. Even though she tripped over a bright yellow gigantic speed bump and ended up in the hospital. :rolleyes: (no I am not kidding).

Archived