Sea sickness

foxcent

I know there have been many questions on sea sickness, but I am prone to ask this and see ehat opinions I get.....I have a presctiption for the patch (Acemophine)...Can anyone tell their expericnce with it...Im not really prone to seasickness but I have had it before on a cruise with really choppy waters leavig out of California, where I think the sea is more choppy than Miami... We are traveling to the Bahamas...Staying overnight in the Bahamas so the boat will be docked... My question is, they say the patch makes you drowsy, I do not want to be drowsy on the cruise nor do I want to be sea sick, not sure if I should just take and not feel sea sick or just wait it out and see if I really need it or not.....So confused....

I know there have been many questions on sea sickness, but I am prone to ask this and see ehat opinions I get.....I have a presctiption for the patch (Acemophine)...Can anyone tell their expericnce with it...Im not really prone to seasickness but I have had it before on a cruise with really choppy waters leavig out of California, where I think the sea is more choppy than Miami... We are traveling to the Bahamas...Staying overnight in the Bahamas so the boat will be docked... My question is, they say the patch makes you drowsy, I do not want to be drowsy on the cruise nor do I want to be sea sick, not sure if I should just take and not feel sea sick or just wait it out and see if I really need it or not.....So confused....

The patch not only made me drowsy, but my mouth got so dry I literally got to the point I couldn't swallow. It also affected my vision to the point I couldn't read the menu. After 2 days I took it off!!!

Now I buy over the counter Bonine and take one at night (starting a couple of nights before I leave).

I have used the patch (it is scopolomine or TransScop brand name in US) several times. (I've also been a nurse for 35 years. LOL)

The patch doesn't make you feel drowsy, but it dries up every bit of mositure in your mouth so you feel as if you are sucking on wood chips.

You have to drink, drink, drink.

You also have to be very careful when applying it, making sure to wash your hands immediately after handling it -- if you get any inadvertently in your eye, it will dilate your pupils for several hours -- I did this once and one pupil was huge for the entire day! :o.

You are supposed to apply before you leave land, and one patch is good for 3 days.

If you follow the directions you should be fine. But -- if you don't have a big problem with seasickness,you could wait and see. Just know that after you apply it, it does take a few hours to begin working.

I do not like to take medicines that aren't really necessary. As soon as I get on the ship I go to the buffet and get a couple of green apples and put them in my room. If I start to feel nauseated then I will eat a green apple. Works every time for seasickness.

A crew member told me this is what the crew on the ships do for seasickness since they can't take the meds that make them drowsy.

No meds, no drowsiness and a lot safer.

I do not like to take medicines that aren't really necessary. As soon as I get on the ship I go to the buffet and get a couple of green apples and put them in my room. If I start to feel nauseated then I will eat a green apple. Works every time for seasickness.

A crew member told me this is what the crew on the ships do for seasickness since they can't take the meds that make them drowsy.

I didn't know this - that is good advice.

When you say green apples, what do you mean? Granny Smith? Thx

I get horribly car sick, sea sick, amusement-park ride sick, etc. Last cruise, I started ginger pills 3 days prior to departure on the advice of my doctor (he gave me the patch, but I never needed it) and didn't have a single minute of sea sickness. And never got sick, despite the copious amounts of drinks I had!

I just started taking them for my cruise in 4 days, woohoo.

I know they won't work for everyone, but they were a life saver for me.

I take them now when I go on long car trips, too, to avoid any possibilities of car sickness.

I will say, though, take them with food because you can "taste" them afterwards if you don't. Not a bad taste (tastes like ginger ale!) but can be annoying.

I have read on other posts that some people say that Ginger Ale and Ginger snap cookies work. I personally haven't tried either, just passing along what I read. Think I will try the green apple thing on my next cruise though. Sounds right up my alley. :)

My step son and I are both prone to motion sickness and we took Bonine every night starting the night before the cruise. We had pretty choppy water off the west coast, and neither one of us was sick at all. We also had ginger pills, and Hyland's motion sickness pills that were naturopathic and disolved under the tongue. I've also heard the green apple trick. Good Luck!

I've known green apples to help an upset stomach. I'll be sure to have some in my room too!

After reading a post recently about this, I've decided to take ginger root (it has another name too, can't remember though) & Bonine, both at night, and will start a couple days before hand!

Check out Reletex or Relief Bands. A tiny shock is delivered to your wrist. Not uncomfortable, just a tingly sensation. My family swears by them. I have found them effective even after I begin to feel sick. They are a little pricey, but I would pay almost anything to missing fun due to an upset tummy!

I start my over the counter Bonine every night, get the generic, a couple of days before we board and take a ginger root pill every morning. We've had some pretty rough seas and I have never felt at all sick. When we had our own boat I would feel sick any time we dropped anchor and the boat would rock and when I couldn't see the shore.

My MIL found these ginger chews at The Vitamin Shoppe and they were fabulous. I was affected by the motion the second we left New Orleans. I had already taken Bonine starting 2 nights before, so instead of taking more and sleeping the rest of the trip, I tried these. Felt better immediately. :)

They are a little spicy .. but so good!

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

1377739181835.jpg.571f628dcd23d80851d6cba43f40520d.jpg

I've only used the non-drowsy dramamine. It works perfectly for me. I get car sick and sea sick, but only certain theme park rides make me nauseous. I never feel drowsy with this line of dramamine, and the medicine itself never makes me sick.

Once in a pinch, I had to use the regular dramamine for a long car ride where I was extremely sick. It completely knocked me out for the rest of the day. Never again.

I've never tried the patch simply because the side effects all would affect me worse than the inconvenience of medication..

I also try to avoid unnatural medications, so hearing all about the ginger capsules is awesome...I may have to try that for my next cruise instead.

Green apples do work for me, however not always convenient.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I absolutely loved the Ginger Pills. They were the very best for sea sickness. However, I found out the hard way that I can not mix Ginger pills with Coumadin Blood Thinner. I have an artificial Heart Valve , and was on a cruise when I noticed extra bleeding and bruising. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I went to the doctor when I returned home. My blood INR count was extremely high, and was told not to ever take Ginger Pills. If you are on blood thinners, please check with your doctor before taking them. Ginger is a natural blood thinner, and perfectly fine unless you are on monitored blood thinners.

Are there plenty of green apples on board? If not, are we allowed to bring produce on with us?

There have always been plenty of green apples on every cruise I have been on. I do make sure and get some the first day and put them in my cabin just to make sure I have them.

Not sure about bringing them on.

This sounds like I will try this as well, still confused about the patch...I really do not want any side effects.....I have been sea sick really one time since cruising and the water was really choppy...So I really want a quick easy remedy as oppose to the patch Im thinking......

Archived