Last minute cruise

travelfan5

I just booked at cruise out of Whittier a couple of days ago and am struggling to find a really good transportation option between Anchorage and Whittier. My daughter and I are flying into ANC Sunday evening and we need to be in Whittier on Monday evening. I checked with Anchorage Tours and Transfers and they are sold out for Monday. I have spoken to Alaska Tour & Travel and they don't do tours just straight transportation. I think this is the same company as alaskacoach.com which is who Anchorage Tours & Transfers recommended when they were sold out but I am really confused. I also checked into some of the glacier tours in Whittier which arrange transportation but this may be too expensive for my budget plus if the weather is bad, my daughter and I will have to lug our luggage from their dock to NCL's dock. Maybe this is not a big deal even in the rain??? Not sure we would like the train and it is definitely more than the bus. NCL offers transfers only and I have to go back to the airport to get it. So, I am looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Theresa

Sorry, I forgot to say that I have read so many bad reviews about Alaska Cruise Group (tours) that I am afraid to use them. This appears to be the same company as "Whittier Shuttle" but if anyone has recently used them and had a good experience I would love to hear it.

Thanks again.

I just booked at cruise out of Whittier a couple of days ago and am struggling to find a really good transportation option between Anchorage and Whittier. My daughter and I are flying into ANC Sunday evening and we need to be in Whittier on Monday evening. I checked with Anchorage Tours and Transfers and they are sold out for Monday. I have spoken to Alaska Tour & Travel and they don't do tours just straight transportation. I think this is the same company as alaskacoach.com which is who Anchorage Tours & Transfers recommended when they were sold out but I am really confused. I also checked into some of the glacier tours in Whittier which arrange transportation but this may be too expensive for my budget plus if the weather is bad, my daughter and I will have to lug our luggage from their dock to NCL's dock. Maybe this is not a big deal even in the rain??? Not sure we would like the train and it is definitely more than the bus. NCL offers transfers only and I have to go back to the airport to get it. So, I am looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Theresa

Personally, I'd probably book the transfers from the cruiseline.

Did you try Alaska Cruise Transfer. They are who I was first considering for our transfer, but pricey at $59 from Anc to Wht. And for some inexplicable reason, they charge $20 more than if you are on Princess for the same trip. I do not get that. If I wind up going with them, I might book as if I am on Princess, and just hang out in Whittier for an extra hour. Their Princess transfer arrives about an hour before their NCL.

But, as of right now, I am hoping to book this with Anchorage Tours and Transfers. My cruise is Sept 2014, so hopefully it won't be sold out. I was also looking for feedback on this company.

Did you try Alaska Cruise Transfer. They are who I was first considering for our transfer, but pricey at $59 from Anc to Wht. And for some inexplicable reason, they charge $20 more than if you are on Princess for the same trip. I do not get that. If I wind up going with them, I might book as if I am on Princess, and just hang out in Whittier for an extra hour. Their Princess transfer arrives about an hour before their NCL.

But, as of right now, I am hoping to book this with Anchorage Tours and Transfers. My cruise is Sept 2014, so hopefully it won't be sold out. I was also looking for feedback on this company.

Huh? There are never two cruise ships in Whittier at the same time/same day so you will be waiting a lot longer than two hours!

Sorry, I am just getting back to this. It's been a crazy week. I ended up booking the transfer directly with The Magic Bus. They will pick us up at the hotel at 8:45am and we will get to the ship around 12:15. They pick said they would be picking up people at a couple of other stops in Anchorage and make some photo stops before going through the tunnel at 11:30. Once we are on board and eat lunch, our plans are to possibly book one of the boat tours out of Whittier but we decided to wait and see what the weather is like before making our decision. The cost from The Magic Bus is $50pp. Between the bad reviews of one company and others being sold out, I was extremely happy to speak to the owner of The Magic Bus and get this booked.

I will try to remember to post a review of them when I get back.

Theresa

Sorry, I am just getting back to this. It's been a crazy week. I ended up booking the transfer directly with The Magic Bus. They will pick us up at the hotel at 8:45am and we will get to the ship around 12:15. They pick said they would be picking up people at a couple of other stops in Anchorage and make some photo stops before going through the tunnel at 11:30. Once we are on board and eat lunch, our plans are to possibly book one of the boat tours out of Whittier but we decided to wait and see what the weather is like before making our decision. The cost from The Magic Bus is $50pp. Between the bad reviews of one company and others being sold out, I was extremely happy to speak to the owner of The Magic Bus and get this booked.

I will try to remember to post a review of them when I get back.

Theresa

Most boat tours from Whittier usually leave before lunch. This so people can take a tour and still get too Anchorage that day.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Just as an FYI to other travelers .... you can take the Alaska Railroad to Whittier which just happens to match up with departures of the Prince William Sound cruises, 9:45am - noon. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

There's also the Park Connection Bus, 3pm-5pm, but only goes to Whittier if there's a ship in port. Perfect if you want to spend the day sightseeing in Anc before boarding your ship:

http://alaskacoach.com/2013-Park-Connection-Schedule-Rates.pdf

And you can try a one-way car rental with AVIS, the only vendor in Whttier. The drop off fee is high but it provides a great opportunity to explore for the day at many points of interest along the Turnagain Arm.

Once we are on board and eat lunch, our plans are to possibly book one of the boat tours out of Whittier but we decided to wait and see what the weather is like before making our decision.

\

Sorry, this will not be an option. The last tour with Phillips leaves at 1pm (which is their short, "less" tour (others all superior) )

IF you wish to take one of these tours, then just drop off your bags and head out. Walk up space can be very limited with the ship contractor, if even available. I would suggest just heading over to the other direct.

I booked our transfer today, with Anchorage Tours and Travel, for Sept 8, 2014. $38 pp for my wife & I, total of $76. About the cost of one person on the train and only a few dollars more than one person on the Park Connection Bus.

They have 53 reviews on Trip Advisor, of which 45 are Very Good or Excellent, only 8 lower rated reviews. This is their price for narrated tour, including stops at Beluga Pt, Wildlife Cons Ctr & Portage Lake. For $10 less pp, they offer a direct shuttle.

FYI, I am only listing this info for reference purposes in case it can help someone else.

Thanks!

Archived