Flying Business Class

rfkeith10

I don't blame you...it's bad enough flying to Europe from NY and having just come home from Portland OR, that was 5 hours alone!

Your comment about the fares is interesting because before I booked with vantage I checked out Lufthansa and I couldn't beat the Vantage price for business class. I saved almost $1600 with Vantage. I've had too many bad experiences with Delta to fly them again and I really like LH. It's also worth it to me not to have to handle my own transfers from airport to ship. Like I said, I'm spoiled!!!:D

The "D" word is not to be spoken in our house. I DESPISE that airline - if it were the last airline in the world I would take a bloody paddle boat across the pond!

Sorry, very bad experience which I have never forgotten. AA and United not far behind.

There's a United Airline Amex card that allows you to get a "free" companion ticket for a single business class ticket. This is what we used to book our flights to China from the east coast in October (13 hours). We had to pay taxes and airport fees on the companion ticket, so it wasn't totally free, but almost so. We ended up paying about $1,000 more for two business class tickets, both ways, than we would have paid for two tickets in economy plus through the cruse company. You also get access to United lounges at the airports.

There is one downside. You have to be patient while talking with United as the cutomer service respresentatives have never heard of the plan, and you will spend a considerable amount of time on hold while the rep checks with their "support center" to book the flight. But if you've got some time to kill, it was worth it, at least for us.

I will be upgrading my Amex card next year to get the free companion business ticket. I didn't know it was just for United though... I'll need to do more research on that.

Even thou I'm spoiled with Business Class - I'm spoiled with airline choice too.

As a side note - Air New Zealand has the BEST food and customer service of any on the airlines I've been on. (nope, not a kiwi).

BA and Virgin - neck and neck, IMO.

I will be upgrading my Amex card next year to get the free companion business ticket. I didn't know it was just for United though... I'll need to do more research on that.

Regular Amex Platinum gives you a companion on multiple airlines. Specific airline plat amex give you a companion ticket for their airline only. So it depends on what card you're getting. In many cases, it's not a great deal because you have to buy a full price business ticket to use the "free" companion ticket, where you might be able to find 2 discounted business fares for the same price as a full price business ticket. Just do the research.....

Can someone share alittle more detail about this card? I'd like to research it more closely....I know I am not very specific in my request but I'm not sure what I am looking for.......Thanks

Ray

Details for all cards can be found on their website, including the partner cards https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/platinum/25330. Platinum Amex (regular) is $450/year. Gets you airport lounge access, some airline fee waivers and the companion business/first class ticket (when you book through Amex travel agent and you still pay the fees)

Details for all cards can be found on their website, including the partner cards https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/platinum/25330. Platinum Amex (regular) is $450/year. Gets you airport lounge access, some airline fee waivers and the companion business/first class ticket (when you book through Amex travel agent and you still pay the fees)

That is the info I was looking for. Thank you for the effort and the quick reply....

Ray

That is the info I was looking for. Thank you for the effort and the quick reply....

Ray

It's at my finger tips because every year or so, I revisit whether or not I want it:rolleyes: So far, the answer has been no - I'm just not doing enough leisure travel. But for many people, it's a great deal. My dad has had it for years and uses many of the benefits. Just like anything else in the world, you just have to figure out if it's useful or not for your specific needs:p

Hi - I'm the one who brought this up, and ours is a United Platinum Amex. And we did call Amex first, and they directed us to United. Next time we do this, I think we'll start again with Amex, as the United cutomer service was horrible - they had no clue about this program. We did research how much to get 2 return "discounted" business class tickets, and getting the "free" companion tickets was still cheaper. But I agree that this might not always be the case.

In many cases, it's not a great deal because you have to buy a full price business ticket to use the "free" companion ticket, where you might be able to find 2 discounted business fares for the same price as a full price business ticket. Just do the research.....

That's what I seem to remember from the last time I looked into it.

Also, regarding any credit card - more often than not they will waive the first year fee ($495).

We have an American express platinum card and everytime I have called about the companion fare I have found it expensive compared to what I can get booking two individual non refundable tickets. The companion fare promotion tickets are refundable but that comes at a price.

I did not see any information about a United American express card on the Amex site or on the United site. Perhaps they no longer offer it. United/Amex parted ways a few years ago when it came to allowing the transfer of miles around the time they merged with Continental. I used to be able to transfer membership miles into my Continental FF account and got a number of free tickets that way.Now the only way I can discount any United ticket is to pay with points

I'm SO sorry! I just double checked and found it is a United Signature VISA card, not an Amex!!!!! I had it confused with my Hilton Amex card. It would have helped if I had looked at the card BEFORE I posted to CC. Again, I apologize for the confusion. (All other details remain the same.)

The "D" word is not to be spoken in our house. I DESPISE that airline - if it were the last airline in the world I would take a bloody paddle boat across the pond!

Sorry, very bad experience which I have never forgotten. AA and United not far behind.

Even thou I'm spoiled with Business Class - I'm spoiled with airline choice too.

As a side note - Air New Zealand has the BEST food and customer service of any on the airlines I've been on. (nope, not a kiwi).

BA and Virgin - neck and neck, IMO.

I agree, Air New Zealand is great, I fly out there to visit my son. I also love Lufthansa to Europe.

We just booked a Viking River cruise Bucharest-Budapest Summer 2014. Viking was "offering" $400 off each on airfare so had the TA check Viking's prices. Lowest was $1995 each R/T US to Bucharest and back from Prague - with $400 off that comes to $1595 each cattle class. Kayak is showing about $1450 R/T and we are still outside the timeframe where most airlines schedule. NOT a deal from Viking. More of a bait and switch. We usually river cruise with Uniworld, but Uniworld's similar trip begins in Istanbul which we have visited many times. In addition to the airfare "issue," Viking is quoting $699 each for the pre/post stays in Bucharest and Prague. That's an extra $2,800 for the both of us. Five star hotels in each city can be had for between $400-500 total both of us each location. Of course, Viking as blocked the pre-cruise hotel in Bucharest and will not release a room according to the TA who checked with Viking. Not really a problem - just an inconvenience to move hotels (trip includes one night in Bucharest) - since I am familiar with Bucharest having spent time in the city during the Ceaucescu era (and traveled extensively in eastern Europe). So far, Viking is not winning me over and I'm unimpressed with Viking's efforts.

I booked our air for the Viking cruise this past March so we could go early and stay in a hotel but we booked air with Viking for November as it was only $995.00. We are flying with Lufthansa.

We also booked air with Viking to China and had good flights then.

If you book your own air you can book your own hotels and go early and stay late.

I am reading this thread with great interest! We are river cruising this time next year and considering business air, but "cattle" class is $1600 whereas business is $4000. I'm hesitant to spend the extra $5k for the two of us for an east coast to Munich trip (around 8 hours). That's a lot of money. If I could get that reduced in half it would make it easier to swallow!

We are not frequent fliers, so don't have miles to upgrade. Do you think we could use the Amex card and cancel after the first year? What is our best strategy?

Hoyaheel is correct about prices. I did a mock booking for us and a single is over $6k. The "free" companion has to pay taxes and fees which together add up to more than we'd pay if we just booked it through any travel site.

Maybe it's time to get a second job?!?!?

Hmmm...can't explain this. We are doing China in October from the east coast. One business class ticket from east coast to Beijing (where our tour starts) and return from Hong Kong (where our tour ends) to east coast was a tad more than $6,000. The "free" ticket with taxes and fees was $342. So both return tickets were less than $6,500 to China. We did have to play around with dates to return on a Monday as the weekend was much more. Or maybe we just lucked out.

And again, I want to apologize -- it is a United VISA Signature card, not an Amex! You could certainly sign up for a year and then cancel.

They charge $495 for a platinum card. You can cancel it at anytime. Remember they charge you for one fully refundable flight and give you another free. I got a quote over 9000 for the two tickets. I can buy two non refundable ones for $7600

We booked air fare with Viking, from Winnipeg for our Viking Imperial Jewels tour for ~2800 for the 2 of us. At the time, this was better than I could have booked myself, although I was nervous on what airlines they were using and where our connections would be (think United Winnipeg-Minneapolis-Los Angelis-Shanghai etc.) I enquired with my Viking Rep what the cost for Business Class upgrade was and was told an additional 5K each (would not specify an airline or a route). Air Canada was 10K total for the 2 of us and we could go early and stay later (Winnipeg-Vancouver-Shanghai). Then it went on sale for 1200 off that price, sold! Called my rep at Viking to cancel, and had a credit on my Amex for the amount paid for airfare that week, they were great with the refund, no hassel at all! Now our holiday starts as soon as we leave the front door, rather then after a punishing 20 hour flight. I am also looking forward to the layover in the Vancouver Maple Leaf Lounge.

I am reading this thread with great interest! We are river cruising this time next year and considering business air, but "cattle" class is $1600 whereas business is $4000. I'm hesitant to spend the extra $5k for the two of us for an east coast to Munich trip (around 8 hours). That's a lot of money. If I could get that reduced in half it would make it easier to swallow!

We are not frequent fliers, so don't have miles to upgrade. Do you think we could use the Amex card and cancel after the first year? What is our best strategy?

CaroleSS,

Flying in the summer "high" season is expensive irregardless of class. Cost us about $600 more pp in July than in Nov/Dec.

Recently scheduled Azamara Journey Mumbai-Athens for April 2014. Going early to tour the Golden Triangle and arranged own air and in-country travel. We usually travel United Premium Economy across the pond. Not too bad, especially if you can grab an exit row. $100-plus (depending on cabin location) for the "upgrade" from basic economy. The extra 5 inches is well worth it. Have been accumulating United miles in the hope of using them for the India trip. Very difficult to use airline miles if you fly less than miles required to reach as airlines "tier." We would have been wait-listed for the 14-hour non-stop. Didn't sound like something we wanted to chance, so purchased Business to Delhi and Premium Economy back from Athens, and wait-listed for an upgrade to Business. Miles are not required for Premium Economy, just $, and the 767s are fairly comfortable with 2-3-2 seating. Can do that for 8 hours - but didn't want to do the 14-plus hours, especially the spouse. Need the lie-flats to compensate for the long flight and time change or be a zombie for several days on arrival.

Thank you globehoppers and everyone else. Seems we should have been thinking ahead and gotten a travel rewards card some time ago. Oh we'll,live and learn.

Seems our best strategy now is either the upgraded economy or just bite the bullet and spring for business. <heavy sigh!>

I will make some phone calls and see what we can find out. We still have 11 months before we fly and although I don't want to wait until the last minute, waiting a few months may be of benefit if it will get us a discount.

Again, thank you to everyone for their suggestions!!!

Premium Economy is a very good product on certain airlines. I know Air France has a awesome Premium Economy. Check with the experts on the Cruise Air board for advice. But you need to be careful with the code shares. For example delta shares with air France their economy plus not as good

DH does all our airline research----sometimes cruise line, sometimes airline. In preparation for oue far east river cruising he found an airline consolidator. We have Dayton OH to Saigon and return for $3200pp business class. Jumped on it--found nothing cheaper. Pat

Archived