Sapphire or Star

Cruise Arizona

We are looking into taking our first cruise with Princess this Fall.

Sapphire and Star both have 15 day RT Hawaii from LA.

As far as I can tell the major difference between the two ships is location of Sky Walkers on the Sapphire is moved towards the funnel and it is completely aft on the Star.

But for those of you who have sailed both: are there any other subtle or major differences between the two?

Any other tips or hints about the two ships are appreciated.

I like both ships, but I am kind of partial to the Star. I really like Skywalkers better on the Star Princess. It has a funky, lighted, moving walkway that kind of makes you feel like you are at a Hollywood premier. We spend a lot of time there, so the ambiance is important to us.

Both ships are really nice though, so it would probably come down to which dates would work the best for us and the pricing.

The Star will have the much sought after Elua providing the Hawaiian spirit starting 6 October and CD David Cole will join the Star on 21 October. There are many posts about how much difference this makes to the trip.

I am really looking forward to what I have read about their contirbutions to the voyage.

I have never been on the Sapphire but have spent 27 consecutive days on the Star in 2011 and found her to be one of the best ships I have sailed on. I like the layout and the crew was the best I have ever experienced.

If you are looking at the 21 October sailing, you will find many Arizona folks on our roll call.

The Star will have the much sought after Elua providing the Hawaiian spirit starting 6 October and CD David Cole will join the Star on 21 October. There are many posts about how much difference this makes to the trip.

I am really looking forward to what I have read about their contirbutions to the voyage.

I have never been on the Sapphire but have spent 27 consecutive days on the Star in 2011 and found her to be one of the best ships I have sailed on. I like the layout and the crew was the best I have ever experienced.

If you are looking at the 21 October sailing, you will find many Arizona folks on our roll call.

Thank you,

I have sailed with David when he was with Celebrity, I found the FB page yesterday for the Elua. I could definitely see how Dave could make the difference, as I think he is one of the best in business.

We did the RT Hawaii with Celebrity a few years back and the Hawaiian culturalists really made it a memorable experience. I will definitely have to factor those two things into my decision.

We are trying to squeeze in a getaway for hubby and I out of LA between the end of my son's football season, and my Daughter's December cheer competition. That may mean even having to do the shorter 7 day Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire. Trying to get my husband to figure out if he wants a 7 or 15 day cruise.

I was very impressed with David Cole's grasp of the Hawaiian language. He works very hard to make sure that the information he is conveying in his port talks are accurate with the correct pronunciation of Hawaiian words. His love for the ukulele comes through when he and Dave teach the classes.

Dave and Leialoha (ELUA) are excellent cultural ambassadors. They are warm and very approachable and love what they do. You will be immersed in the Hawaiian atmosphere all the way over and back.

I hope you will be able to hitch a ride on a "star" to be a part of this experience.

Displaced Local Girl

Love both ships but the Star is my favorite. One difference is with Vines Wine Bar. It has a full size wine bar service along with Sushi available and on the Sapphire, Vines is a small table only area. Instead, on the Sapphire they have a Pizza Restaurant. I personally preferred the larger bar area than the Pizza Restaurant. But that is my opinion as I know a lot of people seemed to enjoy the restaurant.

Anytime dining rooms: On the Star there are two of these. On the Sapphire these two are divided into four, each with a different decor.

But as pointed out above, the Star has Elua. For an Hawaii experience the entire 15 days, you want to be on a ship with Elua.

The Sapphire is my favorite of all the Princess ships and this is probably the last year it will be sailing from US ports. Princess is sending it to Asia in April. There are not a lot of differences in the two ships. Both have covered pools, promenade decks all-around the ship, and the International Café. The Star has the Crown Grill and Sapphire doesn't. The Sapphire has Alfredo's pizza restaurant and the Star doesn't, so it kind of evens out.

Can anyone tell me about the Sanctuary space on the Sapphire? Is there a fee for using this space? :confused:

Yrs, there is a fee. I have never used the Sanctuary, but I think the fee is $20.00 a day. You can book it for a full day or a half day. And you can book one day or the entire cruise. I understand the most important thing is to get there early on embarkation day because it books up fast.

We are looking into taking our first cruise with Princess this Fall.

Sapphire and Star both have 15 day RT Hawaii from LA.

As far as I can tell the major difference between the two ships is location of Sky Walkers on the Sapphire is moved towards the funnel and it is completely aft on the Star.

But for those of you who have sailed both: are there any other subtle or major differences between the two?

Any other tips or hints about the two ships are appreciated.

For that very reason we prefer the Sapphire because you have a larger sunny area at the aft pool without Skywalkers shading the area.

Archived