Etiquette for playing music on balcony

5326jan

I don't think you over-reacted, proof of that folowed an hour later.

Thank you. ;)

Ah heck, I had a really good reply that I posted and then I read your later post apologizing. I want to thank you for that. Fortunately, I had time to delete my original reply and post this instead. Thank heaven for that 20 minute edit window! :)

To avoid any confusion: I was replying ONLY to Priss99 because she seemed to be defending her husband's music playing. ;)

My misunderstanding. :)

I'm always worried about being an annoying neighbor, but DH likes to listen to music on the balcony. Of course he can use headphones, but would it be annoying to use the little ipod speakers and listen to low level music? He likes James Taylor, Eagles, Chicago, etc. (lets say '80's music). Nothing hard rock, rap or country. Basically, easy listening stuff. (If he wears headphones, he tends to sing....:eek:), I KNOW that would be annoying! :D

His view is that he paid for the balcony and has just as much right to listen to music as others do to talk loudly. I can see his point, but thought I would get some kind of consensus here.

What do you say?

I am interested in hearing if you took the consensus. - music via speakers would be annoying- to your husband and what his response was. Thanks:)

Yes, he did pay for his balcony, but he didn't pay for the neighboring balconies. Therefore, what he does should be confined to only his balcony. He should use earphones.

He and everyone else needs to act with a sense of community, not selfisfness, whether it's music, talking loudly, etc.

Right on, as usual. What happened to good common sense? One of my professors explained individual freedoms by drawing 5 big circles that didn't touch. As long as the circles are separated, who cares! However, when the circles move closer to each other and intersect, you're intruding on someone else's personal space.

I'm always worried about being an annoying neighbor, but DH likes to listen to music on the balcony. Of course he can use headphones, but would it be annoying to use the little ipod speakers and listen to low level music? He likes James Taylor, Eagles, Chicago, etc. (lets say '80's music). Nothing hard rock, rap or country. Basically, easy listening stuff. (If he wears headphones, he tends to sing....:eek:), I KNOW that would be annoying! :D

His view is that he paid for the balcony and has just as much right to listen to music as others do to talk loudly. I can see his point, but thought I would get some kind of consensus here.

What do you say?

If he does not turn up the music full blast, I don't see a problem whatsoever. Some people really need to get a life, they are moaning anyway because someone coughs, sneezes, talks, makes phone calls, children next door, or even talking....tell your husband to enjoy his music...it wouldn't bother us at all....

Andrea :)

What do you say?

----------------------

love all the music choices ... we also bring our music and just play it at a low level ....

Enjoy :)

I am interested in hearing if you took the consensus. - music via speakers would be annoying- to your husband and what his response was. Thanks:)

Oh yes! Earbuds are the favorite by a long shot!:D We'll continue to have quiet time on the balcony. I now know for sure that speakers would be frowned upon by most.... even if it was never stated. The micro speakers have been crossed off the Christmas list! :p

I really appreciate CC members for their honesty, albeit sometimes brutally honest. :eek: It was helpful for me in the long run to know. We always try to be good citizens that are cognizant of other cruiser's feelings. :)

We also tip and adhere to the dress code. ;)

We think the "etiquette" is to make sure nobody else has to listen to your music. We are now in an era when many folks have personal music devices that they use with ear buds or headphones. Playing music through speakers simply annoys anyone within earshot who might prefer to not listen to your music. I know one person who simply takes some awful music (we are talking really bad rap stuff) on her trips. If a neighbor bothers her with their music she just loads her bad rap stuff and turns up the volume. We do not support that kind of thing, but do understand her attitude. I have done it with cigars. If somebody bothers me with cigarettes, and its in a place where its OK to smoke cigars I might be tempted to light-up a really nice cigar upwind from those cigarette smokers. My reward comes when a cigarette smoker asks me to please not smoke a cigar :)

Hank

Guest maddycat
Hi. How about being friendly and ask your neighbors if your music is bothersome? Some might love it and some might hate it.

Our only problem has ever been those dominos the Oriental folks use to play with. The whole bunch were very noisy, and the clacking of the tiles were very annoying. Even asking them to tone it down and asking the customer services and security for help was unsuccessful. I'm talking about a large group of adults and screaming children. This was our one and only experience of annoying neighbors.

Margee

Were the Asian (Chinese) passengers playing mahjong? The tiles can be noisy.

----------------------

love all the music choices ... we also bring our music and just play it at a low level ....

Enjoy :)

The difficulty comes with 'play it at a low level'.

What is a low level?

My idea and your may vary greatly. :D

We really would be unhappy to have someone playing their music loud enough neighboring verandahs have to listen to it. You may think it not very loud but we might not agree. :( What are we to do about it?

Oh yes! Earbuds are the favorite by a long shot!:D We'll continue to have quiet time on the balcony. I now know for sure that speakers would be frowned upon by most.... even if it was never stated. The micro speakers have been crossed off the Christmas list! :p

I really appreciate CC members for their honesty, albeit sometimes brutally honest. :eek: It was helpful for me in the long run to know. We always try to be good citizens that are cognizant of other cruiser's feelings. :)

We also tip and adhere to the dress code. ;)

Sounds like a very reasonable decision. How refreshing.:D

I wonder if everyone who thinks it's ok to play their music on their balcony would mind if I brought my tap shoes. I'd love to dance to the music I hear coming from your balcony :D

Go for it:D. DD is a tapper and if your good you will hear me applauding you! Let me just say DD and her BFF listened and sang to their music on our balcony for approx. 15-20 minutes our whole cruise while we were sailing away from Jamaica. I can see it being a problem if it was constant, during early/late hours, or someone complained. But it wasn't and no one did. No harm done to anyone. It was 20 minutes out of a 6 day cruise and the girls were having fun and enjoying the balcony. I had a good sniff of cigar while I was out there once too. I just went inside our room until they were done enjoying their cigar on their balcony. Can't we all just get along :rolleyes:.

The difficulty comes with 'play it at a low level'.

What is a low level?

My idea and your may vary greatly. :D

We really would be unhappy to have someone playing their music loud enough neighboring verandahs have to listen to it. You may think it not very loud but we might not agree. :( What are we to do about it?

We must also consider how sounds may carry while a ship is underway, when even low level sound may carry to several downwind balconies. In port, the sound reverberates against the metal roof, the side partitions, as well as from the solid glass railings most newer ships now are fitted with. It doesn't take much for the sound to overflow onto neighboring balconies. We have sometimes heard the TV in the next stateroom if the occupants had their balcony door open.

We must also consider how sounds may carry while a ship is underway, when even low level sound may carry to several downwind balconies. In port, the sound reverberates against the metal roof, the side partitions, as well as from the solid glass railings most newer ships now are fitted with. It doesn't take much for the sound to overflow onto neighboring balconies. We have sometimes heard the TV in the next stateroom if the occupants had their balcony door open.

The OP responded. DH is going to wear earphones. Problem solved.:)

I have done it with cigars. If somebody bothers me with cigarettes, and its in a place where its OK to smoke cigars I might be tempted to light-up a really nice cigar upwind from those cigarette smokers. My reward comes when a cigarette smoker asks me to please not smoke a cigar :)

Hank

Great idea but you should buy really cheap cigars and a smoking machine so that you do not have to be on the balcony while they are being smoked. I realize that this is not a good idea because of the fire hazard but it sounds good. Also, it would get you kicked off the ship. With some ideas, it is nice to dream but a good idea not to carry it out.

DON

Archived