Oldies Tribute Band Entertainment

ScriptOhio

Just sayin": On 2 recent cruises, HAL had an oldies band "tribute group" for the evening entertainment.

a. On the Rotterdam 2012 they had a group that performed one night as Paperback Writer (i.e. The Beatles) and another night as Catch A Wave (i.e. The Beach Boys).

http://www.thebeachtoys.com/

http://www.paperbackwritersite.com/

b. On the Veendam 2013 they had the Unexpected Boys who did 2 different tribute shows too, i.e. Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons & The Beach Boys

http://www.unexpectedboys.com/

Both groups had outstanding singers/musicians and put on fantastic shows. Needless to say, I really like the "oldie" songs.

491011.gif?d=d

Recently on Eurodam they had a guy who did some tribute Neil Diamond stuff. The fact is, he bore a significant resemblance to Neil Diamond! He was pretty good...they had him perform two different nights...new material each time. Pretty funny, high energy guy. Some people sitting next to us said HAL had used him on other ships as well.

Unfortunately can't remember his name. Australian guy.

Recently on Eurodam they had a guy who did some tribute Neil Diamond stuff. The fact is, he bore a significant resemblance to Neil Diamond! He was pretty good...they had him perform two different nights...new material each time. Pretty funny, high energy guy. Some people sitting next to us said HAL had used him on other ships as well.

Unfortunately can't remember his name. Australian guy.

Years ago a gentleman named Paul Tanner did a good job with Neil Diamond songs -- could that be him. I don't remember where he was from, but saw him twice on different ships.

Years ago a gentleman named Paul Tanner did a good job with Neil Diamond songs -- could that be him. I don't remember where he was from, but saw him twice on different ships.

I remember Paul Tanner. I think he's from Texas.

You are going back a while.

Just sayin": On 2 recent cruises, HAL had an oldies band "tribute group" for the evening entertainment.

a. On the Rotterdam 2012 they had a group that performed one night as Paperback Writer (i.e. The Beatles) and another night as Catch A Wave (i.e. The Beach Boys).

http://www.thebeachtoys.com/

http://www.paperbackwritersite.com/

b. On the Veendam 2013 they had the Unexpected Boys who did 2 different tribute shows too, i.e. Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons & The Beach Boys

http://www.unexpectedboys.com/

Both groups had outstanding singers/musicians and put on fantastic shows. Needless to say, I really like the "oldie" songs.

491011.gif?d=d

We've seen The Unexpected Boys (from New Jersey) on several cruises on the Amsterdam and they are excellent.

We have not yet seen Papreback Writer so we have something to which we look forward.

Scott & Karen

What ever happened to the blues group that performed last winter on the Eurodam? They were great.

They were the B. B. King Blues Orchestra. Yes, they were fabulous. Standing room only every night in the Queen's Lounge. We never tired of them and would love to see them on other ships. Almost everyone we talked to agreed they were the best entertainment they'd seen on any cruise ship.

As I understand it, they were to sail to Europe with Eurodam. How long they were scheduled to be aboard after that, I don't know.

It sounds like the Blues group contract was extended. I was on the Eurodam in April and a member of the group told me that their contract went to July. They liked being on board and hoped that they would get an extension to stay on. I really enjoyed their music. It was also fun to meet some of the same people most nights at the bar in the Queen's Lounge where they played.

Wondering if they have revolving Blues Groups. When I talked to the bass player, he said they had been on for only two weeks, and would be on until December. However, the female lead singer got off with us on Aug 1, and in fact flew on our plane for the first leg of our trip home.

The lead female singer, Angela, on our April cruise was due to fly home as soon as we disembarked, since she was 8 months pregnant and wouldn't be going to Europe. She was "training" another female to take her place.

So I guess it depends on the circumstances. I would image the blues group would have back-up musicians that could take someone's place. After all, there are a number of B.B. King Blues establishments states-side, so I'm assuming they have "musicians-in-reserve."

The lead female singer, Angela, on our April cruise was due to fly home as soon as we disembarked, since she was 8 months pregnant and wouldn't be going to Europe. She was "training" another female to take her place.

So I guess it depends on the circumstances. I would image the blues group would have back-up musicians that could take someone's place. After all, there are a number of B.B. King Blues establishments states-side, so I'm assuming they have "musicians-in-reserve."

I think the lead female singer was Michelle, on our cruise, if my foggy old mind is working...

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to actually be onstage with the Unexpected Boys from NJ. Those of you who have seen the Four Seasons act will know what I mean.

One of them was a previous cast member from HAL and we knew him. We had a delightful dinner during which they told us about the (then) upcoming Beach Boys tribute they were working on.

We found it interesting to learn at any given time there are about 600 members of the group. They all are able to work together at a moments notice and are all trained in all the various numbers. In a heartbeat they can have a group anywhere in the world to entertain and have several groups in several places doing the same show. Kind of awesome.

We think they are great and have a signed CD from them.

We saw the Beatles and Beach Boys one. That was a lot of fun!

Agreed. We had them on the Zuiderdam's Canal repositioning in Spring 2011. We went to the later Beach Boys show, and they did a 9-10 song encore, probably exhausting their repertoire, because the audience wouldn't stop cheering after every song. They were terrific, the most entertaining group I've seen so far on a cruise.

Archived