Military "Mess Dress"

theheartbreakkid

Morning all,

I have cruised before, however, I have not been for some years and have since gained a commission in the British Armed Forces. I have been told that many members of the US forces wear mess dress (or equivalent) which, in the UK, is effectively the military equivalent of black tie, on formal nights.

I am going on a cruise from the US soon and wondered if it would be the done thing for a British Officer to wear mess dress on formal nights, or is it just seen as ostentatious? I am very proud to have earned the right to wear it, however, would it be seen as inappropriate, in particular by the US citizens who will no doubt be in the majority on board!?

Views much appreciated,

HBK.

Wear it. You make take some good nature ribbing for members of other branches, but probably not as bad as a sailor gives a marine.

By all means, wear it.

DH always looked so handsome wearing his mess dress. We gave it to a West Pointer who was graduating and was same size as DH.

DH had just left the Army and his uniform had lots of good use left in it. Our friend told us he wore it for about 10 years until he 'outgrew' it. :)

Edited by sail7seas

• 4 months later...

Hi, My family and I are going to the Eastern Carribean in May. I've convinced my brother to wear his choker whites on one of the formal nights. My mom would love to have a picture of him in his dress uniform. I actually like seeing him in his Navy blue dress mess even more. Has anyone seen a military person wear blue dress mess in the spring/ summer months? I appreciate any information... Thank you. My baby brother though complains that those uniforms take up a lot of luggage space.

Anytime I see a military person in uniform, my heart hurts with pride.

I would be so proud to see my brother in his dress mess.. whether white or blue because I've never seen him in his dress mess because he's always been overseas and we live different states.

Thank you.

Depending on the line (e.g., Carnival or Norwegian) you may be more formally dressed than many others but if that doesn't bother you go ahead.

why would it bother him NOT to be a slob?

I don't understand why on a lot of the 'formal' threads people always seem concerned about being over-dressed when the real concern should be from the slobs being under-dressed.

Hi, My family and I are going to the Eastern Carribean in May. I've convinced my brother to wear his choker whites on one of the formal nights. My mom would love to have a picture of him in his dress uniform. I actually like seeing him in his Navy blue dress mess even more. Has anyone seen a military person wear blue dress mess in the spring/ summer months? I appreciate any information... Thank you. My baby brother though complains that those uniforms take up a lot of luggage space.

Thank you.

Chokers are EVIL!!!! Blues are authorized year round. if he doesn't have Mess Dress, let him wear his Blues. he'll be WAY more comfortable.

those white shoes are even worse. Blues his coreframes( plastic fantastics) or leather ones will also work for dinner every other night, cutting down on luggage. the white dress shirt can be worn under a blazer for dinner in a specialty.

Mine wears his Mess Dress jacket( he has both but of late has only packed the Blues) with a kilt. he has the Stewart( he comes by that honestly) and the Navy Tartan authorized when Edsell was open. I have a matching Navy Tartan skirt.

why would it bother him NOT to be a slob?

I don't understand why on a lot of the 'formal' threads people always seem concerned about being over-dressed when the real concern should be from the slobs being under-dressed.

Wow, someone must have adulterated your cornflakes. :)

There's a gulf between "not being a slob" and dressing at the 98th percentile. I suspect that the under-dressed "slobs" are largely in conformance to whatever dress code exists on some lines.

I kid you not, Carnival reminds passengers that sleeveless T-shirts aren't appropriate on Cruise Elegant nights: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.
Again, if the OP wants to wear military dinner dress in that environment (I don't think we know which line (s)he's cruising yet), I have no objections but forewarned is forearmed.

Wow, someone must have adulterated your cornflakes. :)

There's a gulf between "not being a slob" and dressing at the 98th percentile. I suspect that the under-dressed "slobs" are largely in conformance to whatever dress code exists on some lines.

I kid you not, Carnival reminds passengers that sleeveless T-shirts aren't appropriate on Cruise Elegant nights: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspxAgain, if the OP wants to wear military dinner dress in that environment (I don't think we know which line (s)he's cruising yet), I have no objections but forewarned is forearmed.

WOW.. someone has them twisted! Mama always told me just because the other kids did something it didn't make it alright for me. you salute the rank not the man and if this gentleman earned the right to wear them he can wear them contrary to what the slobs think.

I am sure that the OP has done the cruise by now, so hope that it went well.

Just to add a side note (for others that may search this post in the future), many countries are not as generous in allowing their service members to "wear their military dress whenever they wish, to any event that they wish, and sometimes just for the sake of showing one's pride in one's service/unit..." as it appears to happen here in the US. Now before everyone gets all upset, let me just state that each country has a different attitude to wearing official regalia/dress, and the military manuals dictate when you may wear it and when not. Having come from a former British colony myself, and having served in the military, we could not just put on our uniform and head out to dinner. Permission has to be requested from unit commander etc., and then only granted if it was to be an event sanctioned/approved by the unit/force. Another thing is that my last unit had Scottish traditions, so kilt was worn for military events, and things like daggers (skean) would be something that would be confiscated by airport/ships security in these modern times. Some military members would not dare be "half-dressed".

Having cruised a few times here in the US, I have yet to see a military member in formal dress on one of the cruises but that could be a west coast thing, or the particular cruise line. It would be so nice to get back to formality again, but society seems to be changing ...

Chokers are EVIL!!!! Blues are authorized year round. if he doesn't have Mess Dress, let him wear his Blues. he'll be WAY more comfortable.

those white shoes are even worse. Blues his coreframes( plastic fantastics) or leather ones will also work for dinner every other night, cutting down on luggage. the white dress shirt can be worn under a blazer for dinner in a specialty.

Mine wears his Mess Dress jacket( he has both but of late has only packed the Blues) with a kilt. he has the Stewart( he comes by that honestly) and the Navy Tartan authorized when Edsell was open. I have a matching Navy Tartan skirt.

Why are chokers evil? LOL My brother did say that it's going to be a pain if it gets stained. But, he says it's Spring/ Summer and we're in the Carribean and he has his heart set on wearing white. I do like the Blue uniform though. I did read on a Navy site that the blue dress be used all year round in an event where a civilian wears a suit/ tux. We will be on the Oasis and I know some people dress up because I was on the Allure 3 years ago.

Honestly I've yet to see a military person in mess dress on formal night, but then again the Allure was huge.. and most times we pick 6:00PM at the MDR, maybe those in unifrm choose to eat later?.

If I saw a military person wear his kilt my jaw would drop to the floor.. I'd be in awe and so impressed.

I like your idea of using some of his uniform as separate items to cut down on luggage, smart idea.. I will pass that on. Thank you.

Depending on the line (e.g., Carnival or Norwegian) you may be more formally dressed than many others but if that doesn't bother you go ahead.

We will be on the Oasis of the Seas, I think he'll be OK. I'm going through some of our pictures on the Allure and there a good number of men in tuxes and women in long gowns.

I think my brother will look sharp in in US Navy Chokers (or blue which I prefer).

I've yet to see a military person in formal dress mess... or meet a military person wearing a kilt... a girl can only hope!

Why are chokers evil? LOL My brother did say that it's going to be a pain if it gets stained. But, he says it's Spring/ Summer and we're in the Carribean and he has his heart set on wearing white.

I only quote my husband the poor sod who has to wear them. but they are uncomfortable and the polyester does not breathe well.. he'll be just as hot and sweaty as the wool of the Blues and white shows sweat stains a lot easier.. oh and that cocktail sauce that comes with shrimp? yeah pain in the you know what to dry clean.

there is a tropical dress uniform authorized for the Caribbean but unless he is stationed at Key West he won't have it.

he should hit the base thrift stores for the Mess Dress. DH got both jackets and the pants for under $200. it actually cost more to dry clean and restripe to his rank.

Ohhh he looks dashing :)

That formal attire probably takes up a big portion of the luggage. Thanks for sharing the picture. Donna

all fits in the garment bag plus room for his other MDR attire( slacks, button down shirts, etc) we can pack for a 8 day cruise with one wheeled bag and one Garment bag. he brings along a Camelback for his carry on and I bring a tote bag of some sort which holds the Kindle(s), the wine( of course) and my meds.

and no we do not do laundry on board or have it sent out( unless somebody spills cocktail sauce on something :rolleyes: ) for dry cleaning.

I say absolutely wear it, and proudly. Maybe I am just an overly sentimental "old" fools, at mid sixties, but I still get a lump in my throat when I see a man or woman in dress uniform.

It makes me tear up just to think about it ... maybe it IS an age thing. Pause while I wipe my eyes. I think the problem comes with laziness. It is easier not to say or do things but we need to actively teach the young ones that they need to respect the uniform and all it stands for. Educate them. I really like the idea someone said ages ago - say "thank you for your service" and how some of the Vietnam war veterans had never heard it. I make a point when I see someone showing they are a veteran (and old) of saying thank you just so that they know people still care.

I can honestly say that I don't think I could do what we ask of our service people. Living for months away from their family in a hostile situation. It takes very special people. Then you have people that are Seals and such. Wow, I mean WOW! I have a brother that served in the Army (Warrant Officer) and one that served in the Air Force - as well as my husband being in the Air Force. Their jobs were not in high risk areas but they did do some amazing things during their service.

I was at Costco one day and there was a father and son. Son was about 8 to 10 YOs old. Without obvious prodding, he walked up to an older gentlemen wearing a vet hat, shook his hand and said "thank you for your service". I almost lost it and I think the veteran did too. Hats off to the father for teaching his son.