Bathrobes

pawsplus

OP wrote: "So this vacation seems RIGHT up my alley! My mom has serious back issues and we figure that there will be enough to do for me, but enough for her to see if she just sits still and looks out the windows, reading--so we'll both be happy. "

Congratulations on your first cruise. When we took our first I was prepared to not like it (and it was my idea to book it). I just wanted to see Alaska. Well, were hooked now (so watch out!).

You may really like the Wrap around deck (lower promenade on r and s classes) and your Mom may like sitting on one of the teak steamer chaises instead of looking out the window. HAL provides wool blankets in case it's a bit "fresh" on deck.

About the robes- I've not seen a terry one, only the waffle weave ones. For me it was a bit heavy- but gotta say I was glad it was when I got out of the pool in Antarctica! Personally I see nothing wrong with using it as a swimsuit coverup. I just don't hang out in it and only use it "in transit". You will likely see others doing similiar. :)

If you aren't supposed to wear them out and about in the public areas around the ship, then why are they provided in the cabanas? Those are in public areas.

So you won't have to wear one going there from your cabin. ;)

I'm excited too! I have to say that I've never been even remotely interested in cruising before--it just sounded kinda boring. I'm a very busy person--two jobs, a farm to run, horses to ride, etc.--and just being in the middle of the ocean w/ nothing to look at and nowhere to go sounded deadly! BUT I always did find the idea of a cruise up the inside passage intriguing precisely b/c you're in sight of land most of the time so there's always something to see, and plenty of stops with stuff to do.

Also, I broke my ankle in May (I'm a hoof trimmer for horses, so you can probably imagine how THAT happened!) and this summer has been DEADLY. I spent the first almost 3 months unable to care for my own horses or do much around the house--just sitting on the couch watching TV, which is NOT something I enjoy! Then I had setbacks--the bone healed up great but I had very painful tendons (for reasons they have never figured out) and rehab has been long and painful.

So this vacation seems RIGHT up my alley! My mom has serious back issues and we figure that there will be enough to do for me, but enough for her to see if she just sits still and looks out the windows, reading--so we'll both be happy. And now that I'm finally off the crutches/cane, I'm at least mobile enough, if not back to my usual 150%, to be able to do the stepping and fetching for both of us.

And it's a new thing. I always like new things--experiencing something I never have. So at least I'll be able to say I cruised! :)

We had horses for years. They are a lot of work. I had to come home every day at lunch to feed them. Then they had to be ridden or exercised every day. Finally got to be too much with my husband running a business and me also working. I remember the farrier coming out with his truck to shoe the horses. So I can well imagine how you got hurt.

My husband is not one to sit. He has to busy busy busy. He loves cruising now. Finally took one and now we cruise every year. I have not been to Alaska and I am so excited to go next year. The scenery looks incredible.

It is really your own business whether or not you wear a bathrobe to the pool.

My guess is that 99.999 percent of people at the pool will either not notice or not care-or both.

Don't sweat the small stuff....just go and have a great time.

I would not wear the bathrobe either..They are too large, very long (to the floor on me ) & bulky..I would trip & fall if I wore the bathrobe to the pool..We don't even wear them in the cabin as they are much too big..

You can get very in-expensive (under $20) bathing suit coverup's at Target on-line..

http://www.target.com/p/merona-women-s-cover-up-dress-assorted-colors/-/A-14363420#prodSlot=medium_1_18

Amazon has a lot of them for under $20.00..These red & green coverup's at Amazon are only $15.58: http://www.amazon.com/Swim-365-Cover-Up-Swimwear-Smocking/dp/B00AX8MXL8/ref=sr_1_60?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1378351194&sr=1-60

JMO..Betty

I would not wear the bathrobe either..They are too large, very long (to the floor on me ) & bulky..I would trip & fall if I wore the bathrobe to the pool..We don't even wear them in the cabin as they are much too big..

You can get very in-expensive (under $20) bathing suit coverup's at Target on-line..

http://www.target.com/p/merona-women-s-cover-up-dress-assorted-colors/-/A-14363420#prodSlot=medium_1_18

Amazon has a lot of them for under $20.00..These red & green coverup's at Amazon are only $15.58: http://www.amazon.com/Swim-365-Cover-Up-Swimwear-Smocking/dp/B00AX8MXL8/ref=sr_1_60?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1378351194&sr=1-60

JMO..Betty

I got an inexpensive cover up at Kohls in a lightweight white stretch terry with a hood for less than $20 on sale.....inexpensive varieties are out there......

So the HAL webpage says there will be bathrobes for us to use--can I wear that to the pool? I'd rather not pack a coverup if I can use the HAL terry robe.

I don't know where you're going, but if you're already packing some quick dry shorts and t-shirts, you could throw those over your swimsuit and not have to add to your suitcase. No matter what you choose to wear, have a great cruise.

If you aren't supposed to wear them out and about in the public areas around the ship, then why are they provided in the cabanas? Those are in public areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Which cabanas? I don't recall seeing them in the retreat cabanas on the NA. It could be that I just don't remember:o.

One thing that hasn't been addressed is that packing a cover-up does take space and add weight to the suitcase. I am not a tiny person and I do have a very nice cover-up that does the job well, but is not see-thru or flimsy, so adds weight and bulk to my bag (I have taken it and used it on all of my previous sailings). On our upcoming trip to South America on Zaandam, we will be gone for 4 weeks and plan to take 3 suitcases total for the trip (one for dress clothes)which will cost an extra $140 RT. Our transportation from Valparaiso to Santiago would like to know in advance that we are not bringing lots of luggage so that they can accommodate all guests on the tour. All that being taken into consideration, I will have to think long and hard over each item packed. I do not plan on packing a cover-up and I do plan on using the pool and spa. So, hopefully people would rather see me use the robe than walk without anything other than my suit on in the halls. We will all have similar situations with limited packing space, so I am sure that my husband and I will not be the only 2 to do so. I will deal with any raised eyebrows if the situation arises (yes, I have read the many negative comments here), but I know the reason I am choosing to utilize the robe on this particular sailing.

wwb

Very "retro"...so if that's what you like, do it. Back in the day, in the '50's, my mom called it a "beach robe". That's what I think of every time I see a bath robe at the pool...luckily, that's not very often.

Personally, I have a Fresh Produce beach dress and wear that as a cover up to the pool.

I have a Fresh Produce I like to use as cover up also. :)

I like the knee length tees I buy in the Caribbean either tank style or t-shirt style top. I see them all over the islands in all colors, different patterns, plain, prints.... They are great for hanging around the cabin and putting over swimsuits.

They fold up small, weight is insignificant and they wash great.

I like coverups at a party or when I plan to put it on when I'm dry. The reason I like the robe is I usually head back to my cabin after a "last dip". all the coverups will look icky with wet spots on all my "do not touch" spots. The robe covers me up, dries me, and no one sees anything they shouldn't. Sorry, I use a cover up everyday when I head to the "Y" for my morning swim, but use a robe to go back to my car because I hate putting anything on over my head when wet. It is a pain. I don't always want to sit and wait until I'm dry enough to put on a coverup. I also LOVE Fresh Produce clothes but as they are cotton they show the wet spots. I don't understand all this consternation over these robes. At least you are totally covered up.

I personally have no problem seeing folks wearing the white bathrobe from to their cabin to the pool OR the spa! I do not wear mine, by the way. However, I cannot believe how "picky" folks are about things like this, but to each their own. I much prefer being interested in what is inside the person (i.e. kindness, consideration, caring for others) versus the fact that they wear a bulky, unattractive bathrobe over their bathing suit to the pool.

Knowing how they operate on other issues, I do believe that IF HAL did truly not want robes worn to the pool or spa there were be such a note on the robe hanger asking that they only be used in the cabin.

I personally have no problem seeing folks wearing the white bathrobe from to their cabin to the pool OR the spa! I do not wear mine, by the way. However, I cannot believe how "picky" folks are about things like this, but to each their own. I much prefer being interested in what is inside the person (i.e. kindness, consideration, caring for others) versus the fact that they wear a bulky, unattractive bathrobe over their bathing suit to the pool.

Knowing how they operate on other issues, I do believe that IF HAL did truly not want robes worn to the pool or spa there were be such a note on the robe hanger asking that they only be used in the cabin.

It not about how kind a person is. It throws me off, more so in the Neptune lounge. One lady came in there in her nightgown and a HAL robe. How much effort does it take to put on yoga pants and a T shirt or if you are at the pool a pair of shorts? That said I don't go out of my condo in PJ's at home so maybe why I find it strange.

Which cabanas? I don't recall seeing them in the retreat cabanas on the NA. It could be that I just don't remember:o.

They were provided in our Lido cabana on the NA. Never touched them once in 14 days. Always just towelled off and used my cover up.

So the HAL webpage says there will be bathrobes for us to use--can I wear that to the pool? I'd rather not pack a coverup if I can use the HAL terry robe.

Tacky. Just my 2 cents. But, that being said, to each his own.

They were provided in our Lido cabana on the NA. Never touched them once in 14 days. Always just towelled off and used my cover up.

Maybe they are only in the Lido cabanas?? I'm not interested in wearing mine in public so maybe that's why I can't remember seeing them.

:confused: Serious question about what the very few people who wear the ship provided bathrobes to the pool do with them when they return from the pool?

Seems they would be wet and yucky and not be able to be used again until they were replaced. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

Really, at the end of the day who really cares if someone wears their bathrobe to the pool? How petty can people be? We see it from time to time in resorts and on cruise ships. We never give it a second thought because we really do not care...and besides it is none of our business.

It is not like HAL cruisers represent the 'fashion plate' of the cruise industry.

Far, far from it. Though you would not think it from some of the comments on the HAL board.

Really, at the end of the day who really cares if someone wears their bathrobe to the pool? How petty can people be? We see it from time to time in resorts and on cruise ships. We never give it a second thought because we really do not care...and besides it is none of our business.

It is not like HAL cruisers represent the 'fashion plate' of the seas.

Far, far from it. Though you would not think it from some of the comments on the HAL board.

Speak for yourself on what people dressed look like.

Archived