Hong Kong information please

Tall Lad

Apologies in advance for posting this here but a search of the Asia forum didn't provide what I was looking for.

Essentially we are considering the Nov 25 Legend Singapore to Hong Kong cruise and being on a fairly tight schedule would like to catch an early flight back home. The Legend is scheduled to arrive in HK at 7am and ideally we would like to make a flight departing at 9:50am.

Obviously the timings look extremely tight but I was wondering if anyone out there can throw any light on how realistic it might be taking into account the 7am arrival, the time required for the ship to clear customs , the reclaiming of passports from the front desk and the time taken to transfer to the airport.

Thanks in advance for any useful gen.

I would book a later flight.

Hong Kong International Airport (HKG)

Location: The airport is situated 21 miles (34km) northwest of Hong Kong Island and 14 miles (23km) from Kowloon. Time: GMT +8. Contacts: Tel: +86 2188 7111. Transfer to the city: The Airport Express Line is a dedicated airport railway line providing fast and reliable service to and from downtown Hong Kong. Trains depart every 12 minutes between 6am and 1am. Free In-town Check-in and porter services are available at Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations and free shuttle buses run from the railway stations to selected hotels. Public buses also depart from the Ground Transportation Centre and luxury coaches serve major destinations within Hong Kong. Taxis and limousines are also available; taxis cost around HK$350 to central Hong Kong. Car rental: Public transport in Hong Kong is excellent so car rental is not advised. Facilities: Airport facilities include banks, ATMs, bureaux de change, a post office, beauty salon, a children's play area, showers, restaurants, shops (including duty-free), disabled facilities, Internet cafes, conference and business services and tourist information desks. Departure tax: HK$120 (over 12 years of age). Website: www.hkairport.com

For International flights they want you at the airport 3 hours prior. If you are flying Business, you can probably squeeze that to 2 hours. Even if the ship arrives on time you are less than 3 hours to your scheduled flight and 50 minutes to your 2 hour mark.

If the ship is on time and cleared immediately and you are able to disembark with your own luggage and customs/immigration is fast, it will still take you at least 15 minutes once you get off the ship to reach a cab and it won't get you to the airport in 35 minutes in Hong Kong Traffic during the morning rush hour. You simply cannot make your flight even if everything goes perfect and usually there is some glitch so DON"T DO IT!!!!!

Forgot, don't know which cruise terminal you will arrive at. If not at the Ocean Terminal, you will be at the old airport and that is another 30 minutes or so further from the airport. All of the info on trains and busses is for the Ocean Terminal and with the old airport terminal now open, that makes impossible even more impossible.

Simply said you cannot do it so don't consider this.

By the way, once you check into the Hong Kong airport it is an enormous airport. The drive alone is about 45 minutes if traffic is not bad and traffic could be bad.

You will need a later flight. I would say Noon or later.

Keith

For International flights they want you at the airport 3 hours prior. If you are flying Business, you can probably squeeze that to 2 hours. Even if the ship arrives on time you are less than 3 hours to your scheduled flight and 50 minutes to your 2 hour mark.

I lived in HK for 5 years and still travel there frequently, and I never arrive at HKG more than 1.5 hours early. HKG is a very efficient airport. If you are flying in F or J, or have elite status so that you can use priority check-in lines, you can get to HKG 1 hour prior to departure time. I typically get there 1.5 hr prior if I want to use the lounges.

Having said that, the OP's timeline is not realistic, since he can't control the ship disembarkation time, as well as traffic condition to HKG.

Also of note for HKG... the Airport Express is very efficient. Both faster AND less expensive than a taxi. And if you are flying Cathay Pacific, you can check your bags right there up to 90 minutes prior to departure - they will issue your boarding passes and you can bypass all the check-in nonsense at the airport.

I travel through HKG 3-4 times a year and the only reason I arrive at the airport more than two hours prior to my flight is to use the CX Wing. :D

Archived