Grand Princess 9/07 SFO Alert

aaerobear

Just a friendly alert/warning.

Saturday is going to be a crazy day in San Francisco (as though any weekend day isn't)

First of all we will have the Grand Princess at pier 35. It will be a very warm day, so all of you that show up early and think you will be able to get into the terminal before noon will be disappointed (unless you are BVE guests). No one is allowed into the terminal to wait for check-in to begin until the ship has finished the debark process. So, standing around outside the terminal will be miserable and very very hot. Come later and avoid the lines and being uncomfortable. Elite and preferred guests do not have priority entrance to the terminal, after you enter the terminal there are separate check-in areas for Preferred/elite/suite guests.

There is a Giants home game and the Americas Cup finals start on Saturday as well, so the bridges and the Embarcadero traffic will be totally crazy. Plan accordingly. If coming by cab or car, drop your luggage off with a porter, park your car (if you have reservations, even better) and enjoy pier 39 or Fisherman's wharf before heading to pier 35 a little later. than usual.

Lastly, don't lose your cool, everyone is there to help you, not make your day miserable, if what they say is not what you are expecting, remember they are doing their job and what they have been told to do (they don't make this stuff up) so, please, don't take your anger out on them.

Thanks, and have a great cruise. And even though you are not going to Hawaii remember "Hang loose"

Remember those passports or passcards, and don't pack them in your luggage!!!

And adding to bridges; may find more traffic than "normal" with all the goings on in the City, those who want to drive the brand new span of the Bay Bridge. We would drive over this weekend to see it if it wasn't so busy there!!

I love the part where it's going to be very very hot. We're expecting mid 90's here in Texas. I wish I was going to have your very very hot weather this weekend. Everything's relative.

We're going to be in SF on a train/land based trip in three weeks. I hope it's less busy then.

I love the part where it's going to be very very hot. We're expecting mid 90's here in Texas. I wish I was going to have your very very hot weather this weekend. Everything's relative.

We're going to be in SF on a train/land based trip in three weeks. I hope it's less busy then.

So true, DH has been working in San Antonio this summer with temps in the 107's:eek:

I'm sure he will enjoy working in the 90's this weekend especially on Sunday for his B'day.

Great advise for boarding in SFO tomorrow and hopefully those doing so see this thread:rolleyes:

It is going to be close to 100 in the East Bay on Saturday. The heat drives all of us into San Francisco where it will be a little cooler. Tomorrow the forecast for the City is 82. For San Francisco that is very hot!!

Bon Voyage to all of you. You will have a fabulous view of the Golden Gate for sail away. Don't be surprised if you go around the back of Alcatraz because of the America's Cup.

Cheers, Denise

Hi There,

Can anyone tell me what is the earlist there will be porters at the pier to take your luggage ???

thank you

cindi

As soon as everyone is off the ship, they'll be glad to take your luggage from you. We don't usually get there until 11:00 if there isn't staggered boarding, and there's never been any problem in getting the luggage into the pier.

We're planning to take the dog to the beach at 4:00 and watch the ship sail away....again. We do this all the time but have only seen one sail away this year. The hours-long delays always mean we end up back at home without seeing the ship leave.

I doubt the ship will leave on time tomorrow, but I hope everyone has a GREAT cruise! If you see a black lab on the beach at Crissy Field, wave and we'll wave back :)

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. We will be leaving from there on the 25th which is a Wednesday.

Living in southern TX, I agree with your comment. It was 96 yesterday and 100 for many days in a row before it. Weatherman said we hit or exceeded 100 41 times this summer so far! So I agree, bring on that 82 degree hot hot hot weather. :D

Mark Twain: Coldest winter I ever spent was August in San Francisco!

well it was not steaming hot as you know, but i was warning those who don't like to stand outside in the heat. 79 can feel like 100 when you are standing in direct sunlight for a long period of time waiting for the terminal to open.

Several folks did show up and were angry that they could not go inside the terminal and wait, and even angrier when they were not allowed to start a line outside (because the SFPD does not allow the blocking of the sidewalk during the disembarkation process as there are stations for the cab lines)

The terminal did open earlier than expected at about 11:00 am and the rush was on, we had almost everyone checked in by 3:00pm, the Captain wanted shoreside check-in to close by 3:30 and anyone left to be checked in on-board so he could sail on time. (we will see)

well it was not steaming hot as you know, but i was warning those who don't like to stand outside in the heat. 79 can feel like 100 when you are standing in direct sunlight for a long period of time waiting for the terminal to open.

Several folks did show up and were angry that they could not go inside the terminal and wait, and even angrier when they were not allowed to start a line outside (because the SFPD does not allow the blocking of the sidewalk during the disembarkation process as there are stations for the cab lines)

The terminal did open earlier than expected at about 11:00 am and the rush was on, we had almost everyone checked in by 3:00pm, the Captain wanted shoreside check-in to close by 3:30 and anyone left to be checked in on-board so he could sail on time. (we will see)

Thanks for the updates, we are onboard the Grand on the 9/17 sailing to Mexico and if you have any insights ahead of that departure it would be great. We are scheduled to arrive at the pier around 1215-1230.

but i was warning those who don't like to stand outside in the heat. 79 can feel like 100 when you are standing in direct sunlight for a long period of time waiting for the terminal to open.

Hi. We were there today for the BVE so were able to access the terminal at an earlier time. But I have a question. If all of the early/eager arrivals are held on the sidewalk and in the adjacent park area, how do the Platinum, Elite and Suite passengers identify themselves to access the terminal for preferred boarding?:confused:

Hi. We were there today for the BVE so were able to access the terminal at an earlier time. But I have a question. If all of the early/eager arrivals are held on the sidewalk and in the adjacent park area, how do the Platinum, Elite and Suite passengers identify themselves to access the terminal for preferred boarding?:confused:

Was discussed in the original post:

Elite and preferred guests do not have priority entrance to the terminal, after you enter the terminal there are separate check-in areas for Preferred/elite/suite guests.

...as is the case at all embarkation ports: once you enter the terminal, there are separate check-in lines for those who have earned that perk. And very often those lines are longer than the general ones. Were you really suggesting that passengers should be checked for their status outside the building even before check-in begins? Priority boarding is one thing; priority access to the terminal quite another--we are all sailing on the same ship together!

Hi There,

Can anyone tell me what is the earlist there will be porters at the pier to take your luggage ???

thank you

cindi

I was on the August 18 sailing and we were in town quite early. I was able to give my bags to a porter around 10 ish give or take a few minutes. But, I was walking and didn't have a car/taxi etc. to worry about. We just sat on the benches nearby, walked around and watched the people leaving. I saw porters with empty carts who were walking just a little slower than the rest so I asked. Turns out they were the ones collecting bags for the next departure.

Archived