Getaway Mini suite/butler

BIG_Steve

I tried search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

There are some mini suites on the Getaway listed as having Butler service, but say nothing about concierge. This was at a large online travel agent. I know the other NCL ships don't do anything for Mini suites. Was that a typo, or what's the scoop on that? Thanks.

There are some mini suites on the Getaway listed as having Butler service, but say nothing about concierge. This was at a large online travel agent. I know the other NCL ships don't do anything for Mini suites. Was that a typo, or what's the scoop on that? Thanks.

None of the minisuites have butler service or any suite perks.

Do you have a link to this? As stated, minis don't have any perks

Do you have a link to this? As stated, minis don't have any perks

I know they normally don't, that's why my eyes popped out of my head when I saw it. Try as I might, I can't retrace my steps and find the link. Meanwhile, I was looking at NCL's site. Two different live help operators confirmed that the Gateway has no butler service for Mini's. Oh well. That was the dealbreaker. Much as we would like to be on a new ship, a different line had a better (for us) itinerary and balcony available.

Maybe next time.

...confirmed that the Gateway has no butler service for Mini's. Oh well. That was the dealbreaker. ...

Are you saying not having a Butler was a dealbreaker?

You know they really do not do that much. Serving meals I guess could be a "dealbreaker".

Years ago, NCL did push having a concierge with mini-suites. That eventually went away, but other agencies surely kept that in their printed/online material for a long time. Maybe somebody added butler to their wrong description as well.

Are you saying not having a Butler was a dealbreaker?

You know they really do not do that much. Serving meals I guess could be a "dealbreaker".

Years ago, NCL did push having a concierge with mini-suites. That eventually went away, but other agencies surely kept that in their printed/online material for a long time. Maybe somebody added butler to their wrong description as well.

Yes, in this case, for our own reasons, the butler was a deal breaker. Is that a problem? :rolleyes:

Yes, in this case, for our own reasons, the butler was a deal breaker. Is that a problem? :rolleyes:

Wow, sounds like your issue is with the TA that was advertising this!! I've never noticed anything like that advertised on the NCL site. I hope you enjoy your cruise on the other line. Curious, which line gives a butler with their balconies?

Since the only "perk" is a bathtub or oversized shower NCL would be better off renaming the mini suites..Deluxe Balconies.

I think NCL toyed with this idea, but reverted.

To me, Deluxe Balcony sounds like a balcony cabin with larger balcony.

Mini-Suites are smaller than Suites, so they are aptly named.

I think NCL toyed with this idea, but reverted.

To me, Deluxe Balcony sounds like a balcony cabin with larger balcony.

Mini-Suites are smaller than Suites, so they are aptly named.

Since square footage and layout more closely resemble a balcony room then a suite I respectfully disaggree with statement. NCL would be better off offering some additional "perks" for a mini suite. A great example would be full room service menu options like in the regular suites and priority embarkation and debarkation. Plus maybe access to a concierge for dinner and show reservations.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Since the only "perk" is a bathtub or oversized shower NCL would be better off renaming the mini suites..Deluxe Balconies.

Agree! For those of us new to the "suite life" seeing "mini suite" and finding it does not include any of the suite perks is disappointing (could say misleading). Deluxe Balcony would catch my eye and I would know what to expect.................more $$$!

Since square footage and layout more closely resemble a balcony room then a suite I respectfully disaggree with statement. NCL would be better off offering some additional "perks" for a mini suite. A great example would be full room service menu options like in the regular suites and priority embarkation and debarkation. Plus maybe access to a concierge for dinner and show reservations.

I guess it would be ok to add some of the suite perks as you suggest if they also increased the cost of the mini's to be more in line with the cost of a full suite. I don't think adding most/many of the suite "perks" without increasing the cost to near that of a full suite would be in anyone's best interest. Certainly NCL would gain nothing and it would make the case for spending the significant extra cost of a full suite less likely and opt for a mini instead.

Changing the name of mini's to deluxe balcony and leaving the perks alone would make sense.

For those that mention bait and switch or misleading, I would ask where in the descriptions of the mini's do they list any perks that could be confused with a full suite.

Edited by rvsullivan
typo

It's not "bait and switch".

Please read NCL's descriptive materials for mini suites, which can be found here: http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-accommodations/minisuites-and-balconies and then those of you who are crying about "bait and switch" please tell us where there is anything in this material that indicates you receive suite amenities. In fact NCL even groups the mini suite and balcony descriptions together on the same page. The suite descriptive materials are on a different page. Do your homework rather than complaining.

BTW, other cruise lines use similar categories such as junior suite and mini suite. None receive suite benefits.

Edited by njhorseman

For those that mention bait and switch or misleading, I would ask where in the descriptions of the mini's do they list any perks that could be confused with a full suite.

I completely agree. I have been in mini-suites several times and was very happy with them. I knew what I was getting. There's a reason that the price of the minis is closer to the price of balconies than the full suites.

I guess it would be ok to add some of the suite perks as you suggest if they also increased the cost of the mini's to be more in line with the cost of a full suite. I don't think adding most/many of the suite "perks" without increasing the cost to near that of a full suite would be in anyone's best interest. Certainly NCL would gain nothing and it would make the case for spending the significant extra cost of a full suite less likely and opt for a mini instead.

Changing the name of mini's to deluxe balcony and leaving the perks alone would make sense.

I aggree 100%. Currently the price point for a mini suite is not much higher then a regular balcony. In fact sometimes NCL offers sales that include a free upgrade from balcony to Mini. If they included the few perks I mentioned before this would make a mini suite a nice bridge between balconies and larger suites with all the perks. Commanding a higher fare for this type of catagory would certainly be justified.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Wow, sounds like your issue is with the TA that was advertising this!! I've never noticed anything like that advertised on the NCL site. I hope you enjoy your cruise on the other line. Curious, which line gives a butler with their balconies?

None that I'm aware of, unless the top dollar luxury lines do (?)

Not a problem for me.

Was feeling a little testy when I replied.

As it turns out, Mrs. Big_Steve wants to be on a "new" ship, so we're going with a large aft balcony on the Getaway. I like the other line's itinerary and wrap balcony better :( It's our 30th anniversary, so I'm not going to quibble over it.

Was feeling a little testy when I replied.

As it turns out, Mrs. Big_Steve wants to be on a "new" ship, so we're going with a large aft balcony on the Getaway. I like the other line's itinerary and wrap balcony better :( It's our 30th anniversary, so I'm not going to quibble over it.

Smart man!

• 1 year later...

We just returned from a cruise on the Getaway. I was a little disappointed in the size of the spa suite when we first got on board. But we went on a cabin crawl where we saw all sorts of cabins - the studio, mini suite inside, balcony and a couple of larger suites. after seeing all those cabins I realized Our spa suite was really wonderful. It had more space around the king-sized bed, a great shower with multiple shower heads, a porcelain tile floor, a Jacuzzi bath in the room with an ocean view and a large TV. We never left the ship and spent a lot of time in the spa. The spa suite is the least expensive suite in the Haven so you get access to the thermal spa, the haven amenities, the butler and concierge. We LOVED it! We have already booked a spa suite for next year on the Escape!