Will they let me leave a gift

A friend of mine is sailing the Allure the week after I am. Will RC and her cabin steward let me leave a gift for her in her stateroom. I plan to bring it just in case and seek out her steward early in the cruise to ask him. I think it would be a nice surprise for her. I took her on her 1st cruise back in 1998. This is only her second time! :)

A friend of mine is sailing the Allure the week after I am. Will RC and her cabin steward let me leave a gift for her in her stateroom. I plan to bring it just in case and seek out her steward early in the cruise to ask him. I think it would be a nice surprise for her. I took her on her 1st cruise back in 1998. This is only her second time! :)

Don't be surprised if the cabin steward declines your request as :

• It's probably violate his/her contract terms as it most likely states that the stewards can only place items/information provided directly by RCCL in the passenger's cabin .
  • He does not know for certain that you are friends of the individual nor is in a position to be expected to accept your word for validation.
  • Even if the other 2 points may not apply the steward may not want to be responsible for accepting a package in which the safety of the contents can not be verified.
  • Even though it's meant as nice gesture if someone went to my cabin steward and requested that a package to be placed in my cabin without my approval I'd be very upset with RCCL and the cabin steward. Personally think it would be best that you hand it directly to your friend.

You can always ask but there's any apprehension on the part of the steward than don't force it.

I think you may have the best chance of success coordinating it through Guest Relations rather than going directly to the Cabin Steward. However unlikely, you mitigate the risk of her not receiving the gift due to a last minute stateroom change or Cabin Steward reassignment.

I think you may have the best chance of success coordinating it through Guest Relations rather than going directly to the Cabin Steward. However unlikely, you mitigate the risk of her not receiving the gift due to a last minute stateroom change or Cabin Steward reassignment.

Agree with this. Best to coordinate with guest services while on board and let them handle it directly. Also be easier - and more likely to properly reach your friend - than trying to track down the stateroom attendant.

I would also recommend discussing this with them early on v. wait until the last day or two to arrange it.

I vote for something from the website through Royal Caribbean. I sent flowers once to a friend through the website (another cruiseline) and she thoroughly enjoyed them throughout the cruise.

So, look at gifts and gear and do that. I think it is not so much a security issue, you got the gift on board without a problem, or the paranoia exhibited by one poster, but the cabin steward not wanting or being able to take responsibility for the gift.

Having just done a gift exchange on DCL, we took our gifts to guest services, and then they delivered it for us.

Do you have the same cabin as your friend or know her cabin number? I would hold off until the second last day of your cruise (don't leave it for the last day when everyone is lining up to complain about their account) - take it to guest services and ask them to deliver it for you the following week.

They may or may not be able to confirm pax for the following week - which I can see as the only reason for declining the request.

Thanks everybody for the advice! I think I will contact RC now to ask them if this is possible. I'd rather be disappointed now than standing there with a gift bag in my hand. Some of you seemed concerned about the gift going missing, I'm just talking about a card, a few doodads for the cabin, maybe about $20 worth of stuff, nothing serious, more a haha- I was here before you were thing. Her husband was also going to give me a card to give to her as a surprise. He is not on the cruise.

Having just done a gift exchange on DCL, we took our gifts to guest services, and then they delivered it for us.

I'm curious about this. I am about to do my first gift exchange on a cruise. My understanding is we all bring our gifts to the meet and mingle, pile them on a table and then everybody gets to pick one, grab bag style. You all had assigned people to buy for and had them delivered to the cabin instead of handing it to them? Is that how people do it?

Thanks everybody for the advice! I think I will contact RC now to ask them if this is possible. I'd rather be disappointed now than standing there with a gift bag in my hand. Some of you seemed concerned about the gift going missing, I'm just talking about a card, a few doodads for the cabin, maybe about $20 worth of stuff, nothing serious, more a haha- I was here before you were thing. Her husband was also going to give me a card to give to her as a surprise. He is not on the cruise.

I'm curious about this. I am about to do my first gift exchange on a cruise. My understanding is we all bring our gifts to the meet and mingle, pile them on a table and then everybody gets to pick one, grab bag style. You all had assigned people to buy for and had them delivered to the cabin instead of handing it to them? Is that how people do it?

I would contact RCI (like you are planning), and if they say NO, I would bring it anyways. (Before I get flamed- look at all the posts on CC stating how little the phone reps actually know)

Once onboard, I would ask guest services; and if that didn't work I would try the room steward.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse punctuation, spelling, nonsensical thoughts and brevity.

Every cruise meet is different - follow the rules of your group.

for all the Cruise Critic cruise meets I've done, we've never done a gift exchange.

If you go on a Disney cruise, you will see "fish extenders". People sign up specifically for these gift exchanges and you have a present hanger outside of your cabin door where gifts are deposited. These are usually little doodads for the kids - stickers, pencils, Disney stuff. My last group was super friendly - we all got to know each other in a facebook group. We had established a gift limit of $25.00 and many signed up for a gift exchange. No one wanted to leave these 25.00 gifts hanging outside a cabin door - so we sent these through guest services who delivered to the cabins.

Back to the OP's question - I did successfully do this on a So. Caribbean Serenade cruise. We had friends who were on the sailing immediately following ours. We left a small gift for them with our favorite bartender at Champagne Bar. We messaged our friends and told them to go see her; she happily delivered our gift. It never crossed our minds that there could be some "rule" about them not doing it.

Back to the OP's question - I did successfully do this on a So. Caribbean Serenade cruise. We had friends who were on the sailing immediately following ours. We left a small gift for them with our favorite bartender at Champagne Bar. We messaged our friends and told them to go see her; she happily delivered our gift. It never crossed our minds that there could be some "rule" about them not doing it.

That sounds a lot less dicey than leaving something in a cabin and if I'm in this situation I may do the same. :)

I just think of the super creepy situation of someone who has a no contact order against another person and said person using a third party to help violate that order.

Am I the only one who finds it sad that such a simple thing could have the potential to be a huge problem?

I hope Guest Services can help you.

How do you think I feel? I'm the OP and just thought it would be funny to leave a card in her room with some snacks or something. I'm starting to feel like the Shoe Bomber, people think I'm transporting anthrax or something! :D:D

Archived