Cabin uninhabitalble on FOS

md2661

Has anyone ever had painting/work done inside your cabin without being notified? We're on Freedom of the Seas this week and they decided to paint/epoxy a rust spot on our porthole that was reported 3 weeks ago by the cabin steward. The fumes could be smelled outside the cabin door before we even opened it. We were not able to use the cabin for about 5 hours and it was formal night. After they supplied a fan I sat outside my cabin with the door open for at least 3 hours until the fumes got better. I didn't feel comfortable walking away with our cabin door open to let it air out. Just want to know if this has happened to anyone else?

Has anyone ever had painting/work done inside your cabin without being notified? We're on Freedom of the Seas this week and they decided to paint/epoxy a rust spot on our porthole that was reported 3 weeks ago by the cabin steward. The fumes could be smelled outside the cabin door before we even opened it. We were not able to use the cabin for about 5 hours and it was formal night. After they supplied a fan I sat outside my cabin with the door open for at least 3 hours until the fumes got better. I didn't feel comfortable walking away with our cabin door open to let it air out. Just want to know if this has happened to anyone else?

I think a trip down to guest services is in order. Not being able to use your cabin for an extended period time because of their actions would warrant some sort of upgrade or compensation I would think!

Went there and the only thing they offered was to use a cabin on the total opposite end of the ship to change and sleep in for the night. Too much trouble to load our stuff for the move down and back. As of yet still not received a follow up call to make sure things are better. Before bed left the fan in the hallway and I guess someone picked it up.

Have never had that happen to me but I would have been down at guest relations immediately and have asked to be moved to a different cabin. No way that work should have been done if the cabin was going to be occupied for the week.

They really should have done the painting when the cabin was vacant or perhaps early on a turnaround day. The cabin would have been vacant for hours. With the door open and a fan running, it likely would not substantially inconvenience a guest.

But they did not do that, so you were stuck dealing with it.

If the fumes were bad, I'd have taken them up on the offer of a spare cabin for the night.

If the fumes were not so bad, I'd probably forget about it and concentrate on enjoying the rest of the cruise.

I am astonished that they would use epoxy paint on a cabin with pax in it with no crossflow / fresh air ventilation.

They should not have "offered" to move you, they should have said "We're moving you. Period. Sorry. Here's $XXX OBC for the inconvenience". Epoxy paint fumes are NOT safe to breathe and, again, I am surprised they ALLOWED you to stay in the cabin.

When I work with epoxy paints I use a respirator and cross ventilate the area as much as possible for 48 hours before resuming usage (say a bathroom).

That is terrible they would do that in the middle of a cruise. I know we would have had to use the other cabin even if it was on the other end of the ship. We had our master bathroom rebuilt last month and DW couldn't sleep anywhere near the smell.

I hope you still enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

Bill

Our experience was not so bad but still not great. We went out on a tour one day and came back to new carpet. The smell was bad. We just kept our balcony door open. It wasn't so bad we complained but the people next to us demanded to be moved. They ended up just trading cabins with their parents. I doubt they had enough empty cabins for all affected.

I was surprised they did this during a cruise. It seems very careless about their customers. The carpet they took out looked fine to us. It's not like it was very worn or stained. I would have thought they could have waited and scheduled a few down days to do it. Oh, well...it's RCCL and I've come not to expect a lot of them when it comes to customer care.

Well, we made it back home and we did have a great two week cruise on FOS. As of yesterday no one had called to check and make sure things were ok. I did stop the hotel manager yesterday and let him know that no one followed up at all. Guess will put this behind us and move on to the next one.

I am astonished that they would use epoxy paint on a cabin with pax in it with no crossflow / fresh air ventilation.

They should not have "offered" to move you, they should have said "We're moving you. Period. Sorry. Here's $XXX OBC for the inconvenience". Epoxy paint fumes are NOT safe to breathe and, again, I am surprised they ALLOWED you to stay in the cabin.

When I work with epoxy paints I use a respirator and cross ventilate the area as much as possible for 48 hours before resuming usage (say a bathroom).

I'm boggled by this too. Epoxy fumes outgas for more than a day. They and oil-based paints/varnishes are severe migraine triggers for me. We would not have been staying in that cabin. It would not have been possible to simply live with the fumes.

beachchick

Last month we had to have a new carpet, new bathroom door, new bed and a fully painted balcony, so we had to be out of the cabin quite a few times that week.! And yes the smell was not nice but we had to stay in our cabin as there was no other cabin available...still waiting for a reply from customer relations..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm... we were just on the FOS 9/8 and there were lots of available cabins as the sailing was not sold out.

We had some hiccups(and certainly not as serious as this) along the way but they were resolved. I find it hard to believe that guest relations could not accommodate you ! Did you speak with the hotel manager and let him know this was unacceptable? Show him the room..?? the guest relations manager?

CC

My take away from this was it was poorly timed on the part of the cruise line. I'm glad they do such upkeep and that it was only 5 hours of being uninhabitable, but I wouldn't want to leave my door wide open unwatched for that long. It doesn't seem like a critical repair, perhaps they could have timed it better like on turn around day or when you were leaving the ship for the day.

While on the enchantment last year on the first sailing after the refurbishment, we were unable to use the balcony. Broken plexiglas and debries and we informed guest relations several times. Finally a supervisor got involved and brought us two bottles of wine and each of us received a twenty percent discount certificate equal to the amount we paid on the Enchantment to be used for a future booking. The only clause was that we had one year to use it. No problem.

I was on a Disney cruise when they were painting the hallway outside our cabin. It wasn't unbearable but it was pretty stinky. My husband makes excuses for them and says "they have to paint all the time to keep it looking nice". He's just that way. He's former military. :rolleyes: I don't agree with him on this one but it was indeed a beautiful ship.

"Please move all my stuff to the new room, put clothes/toiletries in the same place as Ive put them in my room (take photos if you want), and then move it back whenever youre finished".

This, this and only this. I would not be inconvenienced to move my belongings... especially if I had planned to dress up and do the formal night festivities. I'm not difficult to please, but toxic fumes are a done deal for me.

I would not be able to handle it. I get instant headaches from any kind of paint, tar, gasoline etc. I would not be in that room for more then a minute. They would have to move me or wait till next cruise.

Me too, besides my allergies ans asthma......any fragrance or strong odor gives me an instant headache or even migraine.

If it were me I would have demanded to see the MSDS sheet (Material Safety Data Sheet) which spells out the hazards and safety precautions that must be used when working with a specific material.

Perhaps it would have shown the fumes were non-toxic, but I doubt it. If nothing else you could have used it as evidence of you being put in an unacceptable situation.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise despite this hiccup.

This happened around 3pm last Monday. We sailed from Coco Cay at 4pm. We were gone from the cabin for about 40 min and we returned to find the fumes and the paint. Went to guest relations and there was a little concern and offer to use another cabin for the night. The big deal was that there was nothing noted in the system that any maintinance was done in our cabin. Spoke to guest relations manager about ventilating the cabin. She called and had a fan delivered and told me she would call and check to make sure it was there. I found the fan in the cabin but just blowing inside with door closed. NO one ever called to check on things. Andrea the assistant bar manager asked the next day how things were because we had mentioned it to her. I gave it the remainder of the cruise and on Saturday I stopped the Hotel Dir and told him of the situation. He seemed concerned but still no call or follow up. I have had little gifts for room service being messed up and a shower issue on Monarch but this FOS issue has really gotten to me. We are going to cruise with one of the best guest relations staffs on Enchantment in a couple of weeks and I know things will be fine. Another great guest relations staff is on the Jewel with Rosita. Not going to let one issue keep us from sailing.

I spoke with a rep from the resolutions department today about the issue of no follow up from guest services. Was amazed she could pull up the notes from what was entered by guest relations while on the ship. The final entry was that the situation was taken care of by placing a fan in the cabin for the remainder of the cruise. She apologized and said she would be following up with the ship. I'm not holding my breath that I'll hear something else. Time to gear up for the next cruise!

Archived