Reporting sickness to Medical

justlaff69

I got sick on the last cruise date and some other people reported to my husband of similar symtons of sore throat with scratchy voice. Mine escalated to fever with cold sweats and general achiness.

Are we suppose to report to the sickbay that we got ill while during the cruise? If we got to medical on the ship, don't they charge for that?

If it was something we ate while on the ship, do they still charge you for that?

If you have symptoms of Noro Virus, you are expected to go to Infirmary to be treated and to try to eliminate you spreading the illness to others. It is contagious and they obviously hope to stop any outbreak right at the start. Many (most ?) cruise lines do not charge for a Noro Virus type doctor visit.

If you have any other condition or symptoms the decision whether to seek medical attention is the same as you, as an adult, would make wherever you were when you became ill.

If you have travel insurance that includes medical, any visits not covered by your usual medical insurance possibly would be covered by your travel insurance. Those policies vary greatly so there is no blanket as to all and what they would cover/how.

The symptoms the OP describes sound a lot like a common cold....which is never fun but too darn common in crowded environments like cruise ships. We know a few cruisers who believe that avoiding the elevators is a very good way to avoid many germs. As to Noro, if you get the symptoms and report it they will simply quarantine you in your cabin (often for a few days) until the symptoms abate. DW once came down with Noro like symptoms on the last morning of a RCI cruise (we were already docked). On the way out of our cabin (to go ashore) I told our steward and suggested they disinfect our cabin as though it was exposed to Noro. We got a big thanks from our steward and his supervisor (who happened to be nearby). It turned out not to be Noro as DW was fine the following day.

Hank

If you have symptoms of Noro Virus, you are expected to go to Infirmary to be treated and to try to eliminate you spreading the illness to others. It is contagious and they obviously hope to stop any outbreak right at the start. Many (most ?) cruise lines do not charge for a Noro Virus type doctor visit.

If you have any other condition or symptoms the decision whether to seek medical attention is the same as you, as an adult, would make wherever you were when you became ill.

If you have travel insurance that includes medical, any visits not covered by your usual medical insurance possibly would be covered by your travel insurance. Those policies vary greatly so there is no blanket as to all and what they would cover/how.

Be prepared to be quarantined if it is diagnosed as noro.

We should clear up something about Norovirus (not what is described by the OP in their post). There is really no treatment for Noro other then rest and keeping hydrated. There is no magic pill, shot, or anything that is going to cure Noro. Most folks will do quite fine and get better in a few days. The only way to avoid spreading the illness is quarantine into such time as the victim is no longer contagious.

Hank

Be prepared to be quarantined if it is diagnosed as noro.

Would you prefer to go out and about all around the ship and expose everyone else to the illness? Or would you think it the preferable choice to remain isolated?

Out of over 90 cruises, I have had Noro once and I self-quarantined.

I thought of others beside just myself. ;)

Interestingly, DH did not get it from me.

Would you prefer to go out and about all around the ship and expose everyone else to the illness? Or would you think it the preferable choice to remain isolated?

Out of over 90 cruises, I have had Noro once and I self-quarantined.

I thought of others beside just myself. ;)

Interestingly, DH did not get it from me.

Why do you ask?

ETA . . . Why do you bold everything you post?

Why do you ask?

ETA . . . Why do you bold everything you post?

I ask because I am interested in the answer.

I bold (as do many people on these forums, particularly the HAL board) because I find it easier on my eyes to read dark font.

What does ETA in your post mean? Somehow 'Estimated Time of Arrival' doesn't seem likely. Doesn't make sense.

If it was something we ate while on the ship, do they still charge you for that?

Cruise lines are very careful about the way they store and handle food. I'm sure there must still have been isolated cases of food poisoning, but I've never encountered one. Unless everyone who ate a particular dish fell ill, I don't think believing that your symptoms are because of something you ate will get you treated for free.

Cruise lines are very careful about the way they store and handle food. I'm sure there must still have been isolated cases of food poisoning, but I've never encountered one. Unless everyone who ate a particular dish fell ill, I don't think believing that your symptoms are because of something you ate will get you treated for free.

My husband did get ill from shrimp. He and I ate the same thing, so we figured it must have been just one bad shrimp.

No one needs to go to the infirmary when they have just a sore throat or a cold unless they feel that they are not able to get well on their own and need medication. Then be prepared to pay for the doctor and the medications. Also be warned ships do not have a large pharmacy thus you may be given a prescription that will have to be filled onshore. This happened to friends of ours and her husband was given the name of the drug store the cruise line recommended and it was up to him to get there on his own -- via taxi -- and pay for the medication -- not covered by insurance.

No one needs to go to the infirmary when they have just a sore throat or a cold unless they feel that they are not able to get well on their own and need medication. Then be prepared to pay for the doctor and the medications. Also be warned ships do not have a large pharmacy thus you may be given a prescription that will have to be filled onshore. This happened to friends of ours and her husband was given the name of the drug store the cruise line recommended and it was up to him to get there on his own -- via taxi -- and pay for the medication -- not covered by insurance.

If he had travel insurance, including medical, while his usual home medical insurance may not have paid, it is possible his travel insurance could have paid for the doctor visit and medication. They might not have paid for the taxi.

Why have travel medical insurance if they don't pay for a doctor's visit?

I am not a doctor. But have run an HMO. You know your body well. If you feel you need to see a doctor please do so. especially for a child where it might be strep and you need an anti-biotic, its better to be err on the safe side and see the doctor.

A simple test can save a lot of real bad results.

Most cruise lines charge for seeing the doctor, although they waive it all the time for specific reasons(like Novo) My son cut himself on an edge by the pool and they didn't charge.

They normally charge fees that are posted.

For the common illnesses, I carry Imodium, and Pepto Busimal, Advil , benedril and Cipro(this is the only one that requires a prescription). No reason to pay a doctor for what I can treat my self...but not for kids.

Archived