Amalfi or Sorrento?

Scarlet and grey

I've been to both. If it's a choice between the two, then I'd probably go for Amalfi - it's much smaller than Sorrento but very pretty with a main square with a church and cobbled streets. Lovely place to just stroll around, have a drink in a cafe, etc...

Amalfi is a small village as oppose to Sorrento which is more of a 'town'.

The car journey between will be breathtaking, whichever option you decide to take - either between Positano and Sorrento, or Positano and Amalfi :)

Personally, we would choose Ravello over either Amalfi or Sorrento but we suspect your tour does not go to Ravello because of time issues. I guess this is why we generally do our own thing rather then take tours. But if you must make a choice between only Sorrento and Amalfi we would agree with the others and opt for Amalfi.

Hank

In a few weeks we are booked with RIL for Pompeii, Postiano and either the town of Amalfi or Sorrento.

Any input on comparing the two and which do you prefer?

Kim

We have just returned from a Celebrity Reflection Med cruise and had a wonderful day touring the Amalfi coast. We would recommend JoeBananalimos.com it is an excellent company and we visited Ravello, Positano, Amalfi and had a wonderful lunch at La Taglitali (not sure of the spelling but Joe knows). Local people eating there, no tourists and masses of food and wine for a set price of 25 euros - it was great.

We have been to each place and like them all. We even stayed in Sorrento for 3 nights. But the main part of Sorrento is high up on the cliffs. Amalfi winds down towards the ocean. I think it's more picturesque. Choose Amalfi.

We have just returned from a Celebrity Reflection Med cruise and had a wonderful day touring the Amalfi coast. We would recommend JoeBananalimos.com it is an excellent company and we visited Ravello, Positano, Amalfi and had a wonderful lunch at La Taglitali (not sure of the spelling but Joe knows). Local people eating there, no tourists and masses of food and wine for a set price of 25 euros - it was great.

Not picking on you, but practically every tour review I read from folks who did the Amalfi Coast drive (particularly with Rome in Limo) seems to feature lunch at La Tagliatella. Hard to imagine that it could be "local people eating there, no tourists"!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Personally, we would choose Ravello over either Amalfi or Sorrento but we suspect your tour does not go to Ravello because of time issues. I guess this is why we generally do our own thing rather then take tours. But if you must make a choice between only Sorrento and Amalfi we would agree with the others and opt for Amalfi.

Hank

For anyone still looking, we just returned from Sorrento where we used AP Tours (contact Sarah... info@aptours.it) to take a full day tour (7:45 am - 4:45 pm) from Sorrento up the Amalfi Coast, stopping for 30-45 minutes each in Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello, then coming back again towards Sorrento, stopping in the hills above Positano for a delicious lunch with an awesome view at Trattoria La Tagliata. It was an outstanding tour with unforgettable scenery. We were there in October, so it was probably a bit less crowded than during the height of the summer vacation season, but we had plenty of time on our private tour (in a comfortable Mercedes mini-van) to drive all the way up to Ravello and back again, with a number of short photo stops along the way as well as the previously mentioned town stops. If you have less time, there are also plenty of little cafes in the plaza in Amalfi where you could get a pizza or other lunch.

Archived