Those big bottles of liquor...?

SnowBird Cruzer

On all of my Royal Caribbean cruises, the duty free liquor shop on board has some really big bottles of liquor. They are 3, 4, even 5 liters of rum, whiskey, etc. I'd love to have one for the conversation piece that it is, and because they seem to be a really good buy as well.

But I just don't know how I would get one home. I don't think I can ship it as Fedex/UPS won't take it. They have strict requirements on shipping alcohol (I learned from wineries). I don't know if I want to have it as a piece of checked luggage (nor pay the extra fee). I'm not sure it would survive the flight. And, of course, I can't bring it aboard the aircraft as it REALLY exceeds the allowable 3 oz of liquid.

If flying it home is out of the question, then I'd have to drive to/from a departure port. I live in Wisconsin so New Orleans, Baltimore and NYC are not too terrible of a drive. I did just drive to FLL in February but didn't care for the 2.5 day drive home.

And then, on top of that, what are the Customs regulations. I've seen info that I can bring back 1 or 2 liters per person. What would the duty be on a one 4 liter bottle?

Whose bought these things?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/alcohol%20duty%20rates/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3OTAwNjY5MC9zaWQvak5BVlY4QWw%3D/suggested/1

There are special rates for bottles above 4 liters.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy it at home. I've seen the big bottles in local liquor and grocery stores.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/alcohol%20duty%20rates/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3OTAwNjY5MC9zaWQvak5BVlY4QWw%3D/suggested/1

Thanks for the link. I didn't see anything special about big bottles there.

I've checked the CBP website for general info already.

There are special rates for bottles above 4 liters.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy it at home. I've seen the big bottles in local liquor and grocery stores.

I've never seen them at home in Wisconsin (and, FYI, a 3 liter bottle of Bacardi was $39.95 on board ship. At home it's $19.95/liter. So onboard, I'd be getting an extra liter free).

As a fellow Wisconsinite and liquor lover, I'll chime in!

Many liquor stores can special order these for you at no additional cost. I've seen them more often in smaller liquor stores. Woodmans (grocery store) is another place I've seen them. But yes, usually cheaper onboard.

I've never seen them at home in Wisconsin (and, FYI, a 3 liter bottle of Bacardi was $39.95 on board ship. At home it's $19.95/liter. So onboard, I'd be getting an extra liter free).

Wouldn't it be worth paying that $19.95 to avoid the hassle? I've paid that much extra in taxi fare to avoid having to walk to a bus stop, wait for the bus, ride the bus, and then walk from the bus stop home. Time and comfort have value.

Wouldn't it be worth paying that $19.95 to avoid the hassle? I've paid that much extra in taxi fare to avoid having to walk to a bus stop, wait for the bus, ride the bus, and then walk from the bus stop home. Time and comfort have value.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. But I can buy most of the things I've ever bought as souvenirs either online or at a local store too. It's the story that goes with the item that makes it special.

Now, as I've said, I haven't seen any of these giant bottles at my local liquor store. So, with that thinking, if I can only find it on a cruise ship, then my quandary remains. But, if I could get one locally, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg, either in money or inconvenience, then I would do it. Otherwise, I guess it'll be wishful thinking.

As a fellow Wisconsinite and liquor lover, I'll chime in!

Many liquor stores can special order these for you at no additional cost. I've seen them more often in smaller liquor stores. Woodmans (grocery store) is another place I've seen them. But yes, usually cheaper onboard.

We have a Woodman's in town, I'll have to check there. I found Amarula Cream there when I couldn't find it anywhere else. We also have a couple of "if you can't find it here, you don't need it" liquor stores in the area.

Perhaps I need to pay them a visit and ask some questions. I'd really love to have one of those big bottles on the back of my bar, or front of it.

Try this link

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0910C22.pdf

(If it doesn't work click on the word duty in the first link.)

It is down several pages of the table.

FWIW friends had to pay $3 a bottle for their over-the-limit Sheridan's.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the info.

Understand the story part. Just don't want the story to be about the 4 liter bottle that broke on the way home.:eek::p

Funny story of buying things on vacation that don't think you can find near you.

DD goes to Kosovo and loves this spicy roasted red pepper & eggplant dip. Brings a jar home to us in California. This jar traveled half-way around the world to us and I find it (different brand) a few weeks later in a local supermarket.

Most things can be bought here. I know Sheridan's cannot be bought in the US, but it can be mail-ordered.

• 2 weeks later...
I've looked at the big box liquor stores, and the "we have everything" liquor store. So far, nobody has a clue what I'm talking about and/or they've never seen one at their store.

I guess I'll have to take a cruise out of NYC or Baltimore and drive.

Good Morning Snowbird. We have a thin layer of ice on our hot tub this morning.:eek:

Our 2010 cruise my son, then 20, was really, really wanting the 3 Liter bottle of Crown. He was soon to be 21 so I secretly bought it. At customs I quietly explained that I had bought as B-Day gift and why does Carnival only allow 2 Liters but then sell this 3 Liter bottle.??

Since I was with Fiance, they put 1 Liter on his and I had no problems. Thankfully.

Son hadn't a clue and he was a hit at his 21st B-Day party. No one drink or drove.

We had driven to Florida that cruise. Don't think I'd risk it flying.

He still has the bottle and is now 24. Great cruise memory. :p

Happy Sails

Yes, it was a brisk one here this morning too.

I think I'll just have to wait for another cruise with MIL and FIL. They'd prefer to drive. We can drive to Baltimore, NYC or New Orleans without too much hassle.

Your story is why it's sometimes nicer to buy something unique on a trip rather than on Amazon.

I seem to remember somewhere, that if you buy the big bottle, they will have it shipped to you at your choice of address.

Would be a cool 25th or 50th anniversary gift for someone.

Not necessarily. Some states restrict the shipment of alcohol.

OP, have you tried Discount Liquor in Waukesha? I've ordered special things from them, and their prices were amazing. I'm talking about expensive things like Cristal and Tojkay wine from Hungary. Their prices were the best of any other place. But, if you're not near Waukesha, I don't know any other place.

I think your only option would be to drive, so sorry about that.

• 1 month later...

I got a reply from US Customs a few weeks ago. It was sitting in my junk folder!

They told me that the fee is only about $3-$4 per liter. So when I take another cruise that I can drive to (which might be a Quantum cruise in 2015, 2016 or 2017), I will definitely pick one up.

If the cruise line offers to mail it to me, that is great. But I'm just planning on driving it home.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. But I can buy most of the things I've ever bought as souvenirs either online or at a local store too. It's the story that goes with the item that makes it special.

Now, as I've said, I haven't seen any of these giant bottles at my local liquor store. So, with that thinking, if I can only find it on a cruise ship, then my quandary remains. But, if I could get one locally, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg, either in money or inconvenience, then I would do it. Otherwise, I guess it'll be wishful thinking.

If it's the story that makes it special, then why not refill your empty rumrunners with the 3 liters from your souvenir bottle and take a empty bottle in your carry on for your flight home. You may be able to come back and share your story of being the first person to use rumrunners to smuggle liquor OFF the ship and through customs . happy cruising

EBay is no fun at all. I want to get it on the vacation. I suppose I could get any Souvenir in EBay or Amazon. But what's the fun of that

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

The e-bay suggestion was to share with all who read this forum.

Perhaps the idea is appealing to someone else?

Most things can be bought here. I know Sheridan's cannot be bought in the US, but it can be mail-ordered.

I KNOW this is off topic but does anyone know where to buy CANNED Kadota figs?

Loved them as a kid, they are always on buffets in Asia.

And yes, I can buy them in those HUGE 5 gallon cans online or send some out of Asia with one of our regular container shipments. But what in the heck am I going to do with 5 gallons of figs. You can't keep them in the refrigerator nor can you freeze them (they mush up).

I just want a case of "regular" size cans of figs.

Roland Kadota Figs in Light Syrup, 102-Ounce Can

by Roland See the Amazon Page for this brand

2.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (23 customer reviews)

Price:$21.11 ($0.21 / oz) & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details Deal Price: o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Only 1 left in stock (more on the way).

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it Tuesday, Oct. 29? Order within 44 hrs 1 min and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.

Details

#feature-bullets-atf ul { color:#CCC; font-family:arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-weight:regular; }#feature-bullets-atf li span,#feature-bullets-atf li span li { color:#000; }#more-feature-bullets-atf.minimized .showmore,#more-feature-bullets-atf.expanded .showless,#more-feature-bullets-atf.expanded ul { display:block; }#more-feature-bullets-atf ul { display:none; margin-left:15px; }#more-feature-bullets-atf a:link { text-decoration:none; }#more-feature-bullets-atf .showless,#more-feature-bullets-atf .showmore { display:none; font-size:0.85em}

• These figs are green-yellow in color and are packed in light syrup
  • They are the size of a quarter to a half dollar
  • Kadota figs may be served chilled or at room temperature, right out of the tin
  • They also may be added to dishes to be cooked or used as a garnish
  • Kadota

Roland Kadota Figs in Light Syrup, 102-Ounce Can

Thanks but that is exactly what I DON'T want. What in the heck am I going to do with 6+ pounds of figs once I open the can? They won't keep in the refrigerator and you can't freeze them. Thanks anyway

Archived