Canada/New England cruise - question for Canadians only please

cruz chic

For Canadians that have been on a cruise from Canada to the USA in 2013 can you tell me how immigration has been for Canadians once getting to Bar Harbor? When I did the Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago it was a hot mess. I think it took 2 hours to go thru the line. HAL did a crappy job of this because they called each deck within 10 minutes of each other. Even I know that going to be too many people. I “may” try to do an independent tour in Bar Harbor but I’m wondering if it’s going to happen. Thx.

For Canadians that have been on a cruise from Canada to the USA in 2013 can you tell me how immigration has been for Canadians once getting to Bar Harbor? When I did the Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago it was a hot mess. I think it took 2 hours to go thru the line. HAL did a crappy job of this because they called each deck within 10 minutes of each other. Even I know that going to be too many people. I “may” try to do an independent tour in Bar Harbor but I’m wondering if it’s going to happen. Thx.

Hi Lorene,

I just came back from the Maasdam Canada New England cruise Aug24-31 cruise. They gave you a window of time to show up in Explorations Café and came on the PA several times to say there was no line up if more people wanted to come. I think it might have been 10 minutes at the most to go through the whole process. Bar Harbor is beautiful. I took the Oli's Trolley Tour for $29 (2.5 hrs) - it was very interesting.

Catherine

We were on the Southbound Maasdam recently. On the morning we reached Bar Harbor, it did seem like they floors were called close together, and we were fearing the same thing. It took about 10-15 minutes to go through the entire process. There was a separate line for US citizens and all others. The US line seemed shorter.

Again we feared the worst, but were quite impressed with how organized it was. They even made announcements when the lines were shrinking to encourage folks to come.

Having said that it took about a half hour for our tender number number to be called - that seemed to be the longer process.

Hope this helps.

The last time we did a southbound trip was 2009 and there was hardly any line up. Maybe it depends on where everyone is from? I think on our trip there were a lot of americans etc because those lineups seemed shorter IIRC, this was in Portland not BH. I agree with above, Oli's gave a nice tour we enjoyed it.

On our recent Veendam cruise, we expected Immigration at Portland but they gave it a pass. CBP did not require full inspection and the ship was cleared without the line up.

Might have been different since it was a closed loop and boarded in Boston rather than Quebec or Montreal.

Roy

Hi Lorene,

I just came back from the Maasdam Canada New England cruise Aug24-31 cruise. They gave you a window of time to show up in Explorations Café and came on the PA several times to say there was no line up if more people wanted to come. I think it might have been 10 minutes at the most to go through the whole process. Bar Harbor is beautiful. I took the Oli's Trolley Tour for $29 (2.5 hrs) - it was very interesting.

Catherine

Sounds great. I hope it will be the same for me. I want to go to Acadia national park but I want to keep my options open in case it's really cold. I was talking to one of the engineers at work and he was freaking me out about the weather saying I better pray the weather is good. I think he's just jealous of my cruise:D. Thx for the info.

We were on the Southbound Maasdam recently. On the morning we reached Bar Harbor, it did seem like they floors were called close together, and we were fearing the same thing. It took about 10-15 minutes to go through the entire process. There was a separate line for US citizens and all others. The US line seemed shorter.

Again we feared the worst, but were quite impressed with how organized it was. They even made announcements when the lines were shrinking to encourage folks to come.

Having said that it took about a half hour for our tender number number to be called - that seemed to be the longer process.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both. Good news.

The last time we did a southbound trip was 2009 and there was hardly any line up. Maybe it depends on where everyone is from? I think on our trip there were a lot of americans etc because those lineups seemed shorter IIRC, this was in Portland not BH. I agree with above, Oli's gave a nice tour we enjoyed it.

Might have been different since it was a closed loop and boarded in Boston rather than Quebec or Montreal.

Roy

Yes, of course, but the ship had been told to prepare for Immigration check. It was cancelled that morning. The ship had been out of the country (Canada) and Portland was first U.S. port. It was to be expected there would be Immigration. Maybe they reviewed the manifest and didn't see anything that disturbed them? In any case, it was nice we didn't have to report.

Yes, of course, but the ship had been told to prepare for Immigration check. It was cancelled that morning. The ship had been out of the country (Canada) and Portland was first U.S. port. It was to be expected there would be Immigration. Maybe they reviewed the manifest and didn't see anything that disturbed them? In any case, it was nice we didn't have to report.

No kidding. Hopefully they won't find anything disturbing on mine either. I also want to check out the restaurant you went to in bar Harbor. It sounds yummy!

Lorene

I didn't want to post anything until you heard how immigration might happen. Veendam and Maasdam as you know are smaller ships than Eurodam -- so hopefully everything will go as smoothly.

I really hope that you can do a tour in Bar harbor.

We have also done Oli's Trolley and loved it.

I might end up doing the trolley. The tour I want to do will be at ten so its going to be tight. We get there at 8. I have terrible luck with immigration on Hal ships.

Was on the Maasdam from Montreal on Aug 10th sailing. US immigration was a breeze. From the time they called you, it may have taken 15 minutes. The line looks long, but there were about 6 or 7 immigration officers and they ask you some simple questions and that's it.

You will have much longer wait time getting the tender. I recall it was about a 45 minute wait in the theater. We had a 1pm HAL excursion and went to get our tender tickets at 10AM to get into Bar Harbour, walk around and grab a lobster roll before the excursion. We finally got into Bar Harbour around 11AM.

Lorekauf --

It's been recommended that we do Acadia in the afternoon when the weather settles. Of course I have no idea about their weather, never having been there, but I understand the fog dissipates in the afternoon. There are Acadia tours in the early afternoon. You could do both the trolley and Acadia if you switch times. I'm personally interested in the Trolley tour too. I loved the one in San Diego (if you ever go there).

Marianne

In 2011 we encountered really bad fog and had trolley tickets booked for the morning and ended up being able to switch them to the afternoon. They were able to sell our tickets (only way we were able to switch) and it got beautifully sunny in the afternoon so we lucked out.

Thx everyone about the fog info. I did not know that. I went in the afternoon last time. I will not be able to do it independently in the afternoon. Usually I never do independent shorex. I just wanted to get a less crowded excursion. I'm going to have to put more thought into this. The trolley might be better.

In terms of the tender I'll be ok because I'm a 4 star. I won't need a ticket.

I appreciate everyone's reply on this thread.

Lorekauf --

It's been recommended that we do Acadia in the afternoon when the weather settles. Of course I have no idea about their weather, never having been there, but I understand the fog dissipates in the afternoon. There are Acadia tours in the early afternoon. You could do both the trolley and Acadia if you switch times. I'm personally interested in the Trolley tour too. I loved the one in San Diego (if you ever go there).

Marianne

In 2011 we encountered really bad fog and had trolley tickets booked for the morning and ended up being able to switch them to the afternoon. They were able to sell our tickets (only way we were able to switch) and it got beautifully sunny in the afternoon so we lucked out.

No one can promise you about fog but I do know we have been in Bar Harbor when we could not see three feet in front of ourselves. A bridge officer is required to ride every tender when there is extreme fog such as Bar Harbor can experience.

Most of the time when we have arrived early morning and been deep in the fog, it burns off to a lovely day as the morning goes on. Far more often than not, by noon the fog has lifted.

Thx sail.

I don't kow what it was like last time because I was standing in line for 2 hours:rolleyes:. While I've come a long way since my knee surgery standing for that long is not good. I've gotten some great info on this thread. The trolley sounds like a good option for me. I think I might play it by ear that day.

Bar Harbor is a port you can play it by ear.

See how your knee feels that morning. See how up to walking you feel. Bar Harbor is hilly but it's pleasant walking around.

Olie's Trolley is a good choice as is a ride through Acadia National Park.

We never tire of Bar Harbor and find we can easily 'wing it' there. :)

Lorene, you know I have a hard time walking, but I was easily able to get to the Trolley stand last June. If I can do it, I expect you can, too.

I booked in advance, on line. When I got there I had to walk around the building at the tender dock, which everyone has to do anyway, and went in the front to exchange my reservation for a ticket. Then, it's a walk along the shoreline about 1-1 1/2 (short) blocks. There are benches and other places to sit and wait until boarding.

I had a 10:30 tour, and was there early for the 10:00 departure! The man coordinating the boarding saw that I was having difficulty, so sat me nearest where I would board, and kept track of me. He was very nice and helpful. You are brought back to the starting point, with no option to leave the trolley sooner.

The ride through the park itself is very interesting and pleasant, with a couple of stops where you can get out for views. I recommend it.

Lorene, you know I have a hard time walking, but I was easily able to get to the Trolley stand last June. If I can do it, I expect you can, too.

I booked in advance, on line. When I got there I had to walk around the building at the tender dock, which everyone has to do anyway, and went in the front to exchange my reservation for a ticket. Then, it's a walk along the shoreline about 1-1 1/2 (short) blocks. There are benches and other places to sit and wait until boarding.

I had a 10:30 tour, and was there early for the 10:00 departure! The man coordinating the boarding saw that I was having difficulty, so sat me nearest where I would board, and kept track of me. He was very nice and helpful. You are brought back to the starting point, with no option to leave the trolley sooner.

The ride through the park itself is very interesting and pleasant, with a couple of stops where you can get out for views. I recommend it.

The walking isn't terrible. The standing in one place really sucks. I can probably walk close to a mile but I'll feel it. Funny thing is that I'm up to 25 minutes on the elliptical and I've been using the exercise bike for quite a while but standing, doing stairs and walking are the worst for me. Thanks for the info. It helps a lot.

Archived