OUCH - O's stopover fee = 65% of airfare!

Packard

What threw me was that, if I booked my own air, the online flight price for both Fri and Sat were the same. I incorrectly assumed that would also be the case through O.

When looking for flight most of the LAX to PPT are late at night so in order to get a day squeezed in between flights you are looking at a stopover not a layover which is different

The longest layover I could see was the 12 hr one on AC

I would price out the flights/dates you ideally want

YYZ to LAX

then LAX to PPT

then see how O offer looks ;)

Some airlines have a maximum layover time, and when you are wanting to book a flight that exceeds this maximum layover time, they will charge is as 2 separate tickets (more expensive) rather than 1 roundtrip ticket. Check on this, and maybe try to work within the airlines layover limit. Some airlines, such as Icelandair, actually encourage long layovers and will let you do a "free" layover up to three days.

I often book my tickets with overnight stopovers and have never had them require two separate tickets. It is still one eticket.

Hello Caviargirl, I didn't mean to say they would be 2 separate etickets (although sometimes they can be), I said they would be charged as 2 tickets, meaning a higher rate, but still one total fare.

Here is the difference between a stopover and a layover, and how they can affect the fare, from flyingconsultant.com:

Generally, if your layover is more than four hours, it is considered a stopover. If you’re flying on an international itinerary, a layover lasting more than 24 hours counts as a stopover.

Whether you can use a stopover and what it will cost depends on the fare rules of the fare basis you’re using. Generally, this will fall into one of three buckets:

• One or more stopovers for free
  • One or more stopovers for a charge
  • No stopovers allowed – If you add a stopover, your itinerary will re-price, generally at a higher fare.

Generally, for discount fares, international airfares are more likely to offer stopovers for free or for a charge, though there are countless exceptions to this rule.

Also, if you are checking luggage, your luggage will generally be checked to your next stopover, rather than your destination.

Seriously

People fly from to Toronto to LA for the weekend :confused:

Reality is outbound flights Fri Sat & Sun usually are higher midweek flight are cheaper

Yep, although as was said, not really for the weekend, but going home that day after working all week.

Do remember that Toronto is a big film town, so there's lots of back and forth to LA of people in that industry, and the entertainment industry in general. We've never flown that route without seeing some kind of celebrity onboard.

Yep, although as was said, not really for the weekend, but going home that day after working all week.

Do remember that Toronto is a big film town, so there's lots of back and forth to LA of people in that industry, and the entertainment industry in general. We've never flown that route without seeing some kind of celebrity onboard.

Well I forgot about the film industry there

I guess they could fill a plane on a friday night ;)

Have not live in TO for 30 yrs but do remember the road closures on occaisson

I remember they filmed one with Michael Douglas in our area & the TTC was on strike

I took the back streets to work saw all the yellow NYC Cabs ..wondered if there was a convention :D

The found out it was the film crew

Lyn

Airline rules for ticketing is very confusing at times

It is not as straightforward as the client thinks it should be ;)

Thanks goodness now the computer systems do most of the calculating & routings for you

No more handwriting those pesky paper tickets :eek:

Lyn

SWMbI and I just paid $150 each to move our outbound flight SFO to BCN back 3 days so we'd have some time in Barcelona. It did require a change in airlines, United to Delta.

JMBobB

B.S. When you go over the bounding main, everthin' costs sooner or later...

We are in the beginning stages of the deviation process. Our flight schedule came through with flights from TO to LAX and LAX to PPT in one day. We then requested to fly TO to LAX a day early as we cannot fly that great a distance on the same day. I checked and, if we booked on our own, the airline prices online were the same for either day. O's next offer came through but they want to charge us $250US EACH for the change in day....that is 65% of the online airfare cost!

Am I missing something? I obviously don't understand why such a high extra charge. Can someone explain it to me? is this a normal amount to be charged?

We had to pay $300+$400 extra, (total of $700 per couple) with the extra charge being on the first leg as well. My TA tried to contest this, as he had done successfully in the past, but was shot down.

Oceania's deal was still far cheaper than anything we could do on our own. French Polynesia is expensive in every way. :( I have cautioned DH that we would be dieting for our 3 days there.

We have just paid $800 extra ($400 each) for the flight deviation fee plus the difference in the air fares because we want to stop in the UK for a few days to see our son before heading to Barcelona. Even after paying that were have to fly from LHR through Munich to Barcelona. Surely there are direct flights from LHR to Barcelona. However, I have paid it because it would have cost more to book it ourselves.

We have just paid $800 extra ($400 each) for the flight deviation fee plus the difference in the air fares because we want to stop in the UK for a few days to see our son before heading to Barcelona. Even after paying that were have to fly from LHR through Munich to Barcelona. Surely there are direct flights from LHR to Barcelona. However, I have paid it because it would have cost more to book it ourselves.

Oceania has agreements with certain airlines. When I tried to book a deviation a few months ago, they said they did not have an agreement with Air Canada, which had a direct flight to LAX from YYZ. If I flew with AA and made a stop in Miami, I would not have to pay extra.

Oddly enough, they have given me AC flights in the past without paying extra and in February we will be returning through LAX on AC.

There are direct flights from LHR (and Gatwick) to Barcelona including British Airways. It seems odd that they are routing you through Munich.

There are direct flights from LHR (and Gatwick) to Barcelona including British Airways. It seems odd that they are routing you through Munich.

Just to make things perfectly clear, are you talking about direct flights or non-stop flights?? There is a significant difference.

Non-stop is as it sounds, no stops between where you leave from and your ultimate destination. The airline definition of a direct flight is a flight that makes at least one stop without a change of flight number or planes.

Don't want people upset when they ask for a direct flight and the plane makes one or more stops before reaching your final destination which is normal.

Archived