Purchasing soda/wine in.Rome....

lesley_willis1971

We are embarking from Rome for an 11-day cruise next year. I want to carry on the allowable amount of soda and wine but do not want the added weight when flying. Are the prices for such things reasonable and are they easily accessible there?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forums mobile app

Yes: we have both wine and soda in Europe.

DO NOT pack soda for your flight!!!!! Unless, of course, you enjoy exploding cans of soda in your luggage...

Your choice is to either find a store in Civi and buy there and truck it to the ship or just drink what is available onboard. Same for your wine...

The better question to ask is: is there a store in Civi near the port where you can easily pick up soda and wine? Perhaps someone will be able to answer this one. Or, are you talking about buying in Rome proper?

Just so we are clear, you will not be cruising out of Rome but will actually be cruising out of the Port of Civitavecchia which is more then an hour (by train or car) from Rome. If you get to Civitavecchia early enough, you can do some shopping in that port city. Unfortunately, there are no supermarkets very close to the main port entrance (they have free shuttle buses that move within the port between the main entrance and the ships) but there is a Carrefour Express about 6 or 7 blocks from the entrance (we like walking in Civitavecchia) and another market in that same area.

Hank

The better question to ask is: is there a store in Civi near the port where you can easily pick up soda and wine? Perhaps someone will be able to answer this one. Or, are you talking about buying in Rome proper?

Yes, as you walk from the station towards the port there's a decent place on the right hand side.

Mands

Just so we are clear, you will not be cruising out of Rome but will actually be cruising out of the Port of Civitavecchia which is more then an hour (by train or car) from Rome. If you get to Civitavecchia early enough, you can do some shopping in that port city. Unfortunately, there are no supermarkets very close to the main port entrance (they have free shuttle buses that move within the port between the main entrance and the ships) but there is a Carrefour Express about 6 or 7 blocks from the entrance (we like walking in Civitavecchia) and another market in that same area.

Hank

In the lower floor of Termini station locates supermarket, where you can buy wine and soda, as you can buy these before boarding train in a way to Civi

Which brands would one want to buy that might not be available?

Coke, Coke Light, Coke Zero and Sprite are pretty easy to find. (And Red Bull. Does that count as soda?) Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sprite Zero and orange Fanta can be seen sometimes. Any other American brands, like Dr Pepper, Orange Crush, etc., are nearly impossible. Italian Lemonsoda is pretty nice, and Crodino is worth a try if you're in the mood for something different.

Wine, of course, is super easy, and even really small shops will often have a very nice selection.

Coke, Coke Light, Coke Zero and Sprite are pretty easy to find. (And Red Bull. Does that count as soda?) Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sprite Zero and orange Fanta can be seen sometimes. Any other American brands, like Dr Pepper, Orange Crush, etc., are nearly impossible. Italian Lemonsoda is pretty nice, and Crodino is worth a try if you're in the mood for something different.

Wine, of course, is super easy, and even really small shops will often have a very nice selection.

Ahh, Dr Pepper. I can honestly say that I rarely see that.

Mands

In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine buying a case of soda in Termini and lugging it on the train with my baggage to Civitavecchia!!!! Hard enough to deal with baggage and stairs.

If I absolutely positively had to bring my on soda on board, I would drop my bags with the porters and then take the shuttle back to the port entrance and go to a market in town and THEN lug it all back to the ship!

Or drink the free iced tea. . .

Both Coke Lite and Pepsi Lite (similar to our diet stuff) is sold in most of Europe although they are not as popular as diet soda is in the states. The best prices will be found in the supermarkets or smaller markets (like the Carefour Express I mentioned above). The markets will also have some wine at pretty decent prices. Had to smile at the suggestion of buying soda in Termini. If you do, be prepared to carry it quite a ways since its a pretty long walk to just get to the platform for the Civitavecchia Train (their platforms are at the far end of the station). And once you get to Civitavecchia you will need to carry all that soda plus your luggage about 4-5 blocks to the port entrance. You then get on the free shuttle bus to take you to your pier where you will again have some walking (with all your stuff). Not my idea of fun.

Hank

Archived